No announcement yet.

The Most Dangerous Ballpark to Attend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The area surrounding old Municipal Stadium here in Kansas City was getting pretty iffy by the end of its run before the Chiefs and Royals moved to the Truman Sports Complex. Still, even right to the end in '72, my parents weren't afraid to park the car in someone's front yard for a buck and not have to worry about what we came back to after a Royals game.

Comment

Originally posted by TommieAgeefan View Post
      Miami Gardens, where the Marlins played from their inception through this season, is no picnic. Little Havana will be a slight improvement.

(Note: the area where Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphin/Dolphins/Landshark/SunLife/Your Name Here Stadium is has only been known as Miami Gardens since 2003, when a majority of the residents voted to incorporate, before that, it was just unincorporated (Miami-)Dade County.)
      Unless you're approaching the Dolph on foot, there's nothing to worry about. It's surrounded by acres and acres of parking lots, and there's hardly a house in sight. You hardly have to leave the turnpike.

I've been down to Little Havana exactly once in my life, for the new ballpark groundbreaking, and I was surprised how not-awful it was, having heard horror stories of Orange Bowl life in the 70s and 80s. It was perfectly standard 1960s-Florida middle class suburbia, with a Walgreens and a few average-looking strip malls across the street from the ballpark site. We parked in a field behind a reasonably well-kept apartment building for a few bucks, and felt perfectly safe walking a few blocks to the site
      1997 2003
      Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Comment

I haven't been everywhere, but I'd vote for old Comisky. Went there a couple times in the 80's. There were not defined parking lots, just a lot of dirt vacant lots. Paying a local kid to "watch" the car was necessary back then. Now the area looks like it is trying to gentrify.

Comment

It's interesting to note what makes a ballpark's location seem dangerous. A Black-majority neighborhood is an obvious criterion, but is it valid? O'Malley thought it was, but I don't. Oakland is easily reached by public transportation and by car, as are SF and LA. I thought Shibe Park's area was worrisome, but I never witnessed the crimes that allegedly took place inside that ballpark.

I think the problems are related to alcohol and to many fans' thinking that they have to wear baseball apparel rather than ordinary clothing. I looked at a photo on a related thread recently showing Hank Aaron at bat in Milwaukee during the 1958 Series. The fans were all wearing business attire, and not trying to look like ballplayers. You see this when you fly. Your fellow-passengers are at their slobbiest.

I go to one or two games at Fenway Park these days, where I am overwhelmed by the owners' self-promotion, and the fans' buying in to the notion that they are at a baseball shrine, when in fact they are in an uncomfortble dump.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X