Fenway Park (2012 - )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenway Park (2012 - )

As a long-time Yank fan,I'm probably not the one to be starting this thread, but my dislike for the Sox has never extended to Fenway Park. I went to four Yanks-Sox games in the late 80's and hope to go again sometime this season {I know,big bucks}. Theres no denying the significance of the only existing park where Babe Ruth played many regular season games. Not to mention Gehrig,DiMag,Mantle and a few guys names Foxx,Williams,Yaz, etc. It's too small and cramped, it has obstructed views and some ancient wooden seats, but it's a place that every baseball fan should visit at least once. I picked up a copy of USA Today's Fenway at 100 Special Edition today. Like the previous Yankee Stadium special in 2008, it has some rare photos,sketches and anecdotes along with a lot of Sox team history. Not a bad buy for $5. I've checked Amazon and I see at least 3-4 Fenway books coming soon,if they're not out already. I'm looking forward to Bobby V getting the Sox the Wild Card spot and losing to the Yanks in the ALCS. But I'm also looking forward to a year-long celebration of this historic ballpark,and I hope that this thread gets filled with information and photos as the season progresses.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Just curious as to why my original title, Fenway Park 2012 100th Anniversary, was changed.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

Yeah, you're right. For this season, we'll keep the appendage. My bad.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

Ok thanks.

Comment

My first game at Fenway Park was in 1947, when my father took me to Boston on a business trip. The opponent was the Browns, and I think Ted Williams hit three homers that day.

I get to one or two games a year; always Opening Day. I can't stand the spectacle that they make of the game, with politicians and movers and shakers jockeying to be seen. The military displays are over the top, too. (I am a veteran, incidentally). The park is vastly improved from when the last group ran it, but it is still basically a dump.

I can't get over the emphasis on Red Sox "tradition", and Red Sox-Yankees rivalry. The Red Sox after 1918 were a miserable club, with an occasional pennant in 1946 and 1975. Recently they have been better, but are not a particularly attractive team, as seen by last September and the attitudes of the players.

Still, these times have changed the game in many ways. The atmosphere has become atrocious, but the players are much more skilled than were their predecessors, in my opinion.

Comment

You forgot about 1967 too. I'm a Yankee fan and I would like to visit Fenway sometime in my life, haven't had the chance to do so (time and money being deterants). What I've wondered for this year is what kind of special upgrades will they do for this year? For a ballpark's 100th anniversary, you have to wonder what Boston's front office has in store for this year. The two pet peeves I have about older parks are the structural vertical columns and wood-seats, I understand history and all and I appreciate the marvels of that time, but seriously, time to move on, make it for the fans, keep the stuff in a museum if those items are cherished so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jpiarull View Post
              ...the structural vertical columns and wood-seats, I understand history and all and I appreciate the marvels of that time, but seriously, time to move on, make it for the fans, keep the stuff in a museum if those items are cherished so much.
              that's the way it was for generations (and now) and the "fans" live with it - not a big deal.
              it'll cost way too much to rebuild fenway as a cantilever structure. it's easy to flippantly say "move on" if it's not your $$$'s that would have to pay for it.
              as my mother (nyy employee '53-'57) said "...never had problems selling tix behind poles for series games..."
              don't expect going to a public space to be the same as being home where you can have an unobstructed view on tv and the fridge is steps away.
              the turd in the punchbowl
              reality really sucks.
              enjoy the game more...

Comment

Yea, I suppose the record sellouts is a fluke. Enjoy your massive, sterile mallparks... Most locals aren't fooled by the glamour of those.

Love this little dumping grounds, obstructed views and the dirty water too!.. Heck, if it were pretty, most wouldn't go.

Comment

The only time I went to Fenway was this fall I was up for the bc fsu football game and took the tour with some buddies and I was in awe. It looks as good and it has as much history as you think!

The really funny thing to me is that I am deathly afraid of heights for at least 10 minutes until I feel secure and even then I'm not 100%, but the upper deck seats were higher than the green monster seats. That seemed a bit shocking to me because they make the green monster so big an ominus (sp?). I mean I have pictures from the press box that shows you far down the monster seems in comparision.

The things I noticed is that most of the seats are not as cramp as they probably used to be or at least as bad as people make the leg room sound, so that was money well spent. The negative with the concorses to me was not that they were small, but they were so dark, you can really tell windows were not a huge option back then. Finally I never realized, probably by my own thinking, that the green monster seats were connected through the concourses, I just assumed they had a ladder or stairs behind the monster. But ever since I took that tour I have wanted to sit in the monster seats for a real game!
                  The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

You really thought that they had a ladder to get to the Monster seats?!

Comment

Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                      You really thought that they had a ladder to get to the Monster seats?!
                      No I don't know what I was thinking, I guess just a staircase or escalater, not a walkway from the normal concourses. Like when a football stadium doesn't connect the endzone seats or like in college baseball where the outfield seats are on the normal pathway.
                      The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Sports Business Daily reports that the Red Sox are building a new club at Fenway tied to the stadium’s 100th anniversary, and long-standing season-ticket holders are getting the first chance to join.

The Royal Rooters Club and The Nation’s Archives, named in part for an early 20th-century Red Sox fan club, replaces the old Players Club restaurant in a 6,000-square-foot space on the ballpark’s second level behind the right-field seats. It will be ready for Opening Day, April 13, against Tampa Bay.

Memberships cost $250 a ticket annually for the club, which can accommodate 350 people, said Sam Kennedy, the Red Sox’s executive vice president and chief operating officer. Total membership will be in the range of 1,000, Kennedy said.
                        The Red Sox began marketing the club late last week by sending email notices to their 1,000 longest-tenured season-ticket holders. The team will continue to go down the list of season-ticket holders with the most longevity until the club is sold out, and then start a waiting list.

The club's main feature will be a ton of memorabilia, including "Dave Roberts’ “Stolen Base from Heaven” that helped the Red Sox overcome the Yankees in the 2004 American League playoffs on the way to a World Series title; the baseball Roger Clemens threw for his 20th strikeout when he became the first major league pitcher to record 20 K’s in a nine-inning game in 1986; and an old Ted Williams injury X-ray."

The Red Sox say the club will be accessible to the public on non-game days and will be part of the Fenway tour.

The article, if it hasn't gone behind a paywall.
                        "Shake it off. That's part of the game, you know. Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and a shot in the mask." - Bob Uecker.

Comment

Anybody watch the Fenway special on PBS last night? Hour long show was light on history and more about the day-to-day,behind the scenes operations,like the clubhouse guys and the scoreboard ops,etc. Worth watching, but not a comprehensive history.

Comment

Originally posted by fdnyladder7 View Post
                            Yea, I suppose the record sellouts is a fluke. Enjoy your massive, sterile mallparks... Most locals aren't fooled by the glamour of those.

Love this little dumping grounds, obstructed views and the dirty water too!.. Heck, if it were pretty, most wouldn't go.
                            Sellout streaks are over-rated. I was around for the Jacobs Field sell-out streak and it was underwhelming because I was at many sell-outs in which the park was only half filled.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Barrie View Post
                              I can't stand the spectacle that they make of the game, with politicians and movers and shakers jockeying to be seen. The military displays are over the top, too. (I am a veteran, incidentally). The park is vastly improved from when the last group ran it, but it is still basically a dump.

Still, these times have changed the game in many ways. The atmosphere has become atrocious, but the players are much more skilled than were their predecessors, in my opinion.
                              I agree about the military displays. I'm a veteran also and I've always disliked miltary displays at the ballpark, especially since 9/11.

It's funny about the players being more skilled today. I think you are right about this. I also think the game is not as good today as it's been in the past. I've been following baseball for 40 years and I think it's at a low point right now.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X