No announcement yet.

Siebert Field - Minneapolis MN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Golden Gophers certainly dressed for the occasion for the Siebert opener. Good looking pullovers!

BHI3bryCQAA1ja2.jpg
    https://twitter.com/SteveHuls
    The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

1st game suspended because of snow. Metrodome, you will be missed.

Comment

A few photos from the Gopher baseball Facebook page:

Gopher Baseball Facebook page

March 26:

April 5:

And, video of the Grand Opening ceremony last week:

Minnesota Golden Gophers YouTube channel

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q9NOL6bEHI
        Last edited by hofflalu; 04-08-2013, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Does there baseball program make them enough money for them to keep up this idea?
          The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
            Does there baseball program make them enough money for them to keep up this idea?
            What idea?
            "And the pitch bounced right side a base hit!! Here comes Gomez around third, there'll be no play!!! The Twins have won the Central!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleMustReign View Post
              What idea?
              Outdoor baseball. At what point do they just build something indoor all their own like they did with the football practice facility? Or will the vikings situation sort itself out soon?
              The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Or will the vikings situation sort itself out soon?
                What situation?
                It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
                  What situation?
                  I assume there is a situation or they would have played that game in the metrodome instead of canceling it right?

Comment

I assume there is a situation or they would have played that game in the metrodome instead of canceling it right?
                    What cancellation?

Comment

The weather this spring as sucked up here.
                      Local radio hosts are pretty much calling this the Winter That Won't Die.

I'm still pondering if the infield dirt is actually Fieldturf.

Comment

Originally posted by ericlc129 View Post

I'm still pondering if the infield dirt is actually Fieldturf.
                        What else would it be? There are plenty of other fields that have synthetic infields instead of dirt.

Comment

Outdoor baseball. At what point do they just build something indoor all their own like they did with the football practice facility? Or will the vikings situation sort itself out soon?
                          I don't see any way an indoor Gophers baseball-only stadium would get built. The U of M had trouble for the longest time to fundraise for the Siebert re-build, and that's a basic outdoor stadium. A small-scale domed stadium would, I have to imagine, cost significantly more money. Converting Siebert to a dome would require a sufficiently-high roof, lighting, etc. Heck, the University can't come up with money for a basketball practice facility (likely more expensive than Siebert's re-do), and that's vital to having a consistently successful men's basketball program. (EDIT: The Siebert re-build was $7.5 million in the first phase, while a basketball practice facility will cost $80-125 million.)

Then consider how much Minnesota baseball fans have wanted outdoor baseball since part-way through the Metrodome era, at least during part of the season (understanding that Gopher baseball has to be indoor early in the season) -- I don't think they'd want a mini-Dome for April and May baseball. Also, remember that Minnesota is going through an unusually cold & snowy early spring. A year ago, we'd have had warm baseball in mid-March. On average, baseball would be tolerable for the fans this time of year (normal high for April 10th: 55). The Gophers will have the new Vikings stadium beginning in 2016 for early-season baseball, but it's not an ideal layout with the short right field fence, along with the lack of Gopher ambience (maroon & gold, championship banners, etc.) and being off-campus...and getting Gopher sports back ON-campus was a big motivator behind building TCF Bank Stadium and getting the Gopher football team out of the Metrodome. The new Vikings stadium will serve a basic purpose each season until the weather warms, then the Gophers will immediately head outside and back to campus, and most years, that'll be more comfortable than this year.
                          Last edited by hofflalu; 04-10-2013, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Yeah, those of us in this area, already bracing for Round 99 of The Winter That Won't Die (12 inches of snow in the Metro by tomorrow); already are well aware of the challenges of playing baseball here in February and March.

The whole thing is rather silly; but I get it. There's not much in the way of revenue regarding the baseball program; compared to basketball, hockey and football. So I get why it's been hard to drum up a few million dollars for the program, whereas the other three sports have TV and (semi) national exposure. Why it's taken this long to get a new stadium for Coach Anderson is beyond me.

Comment

The only other idea I would have for indoor baseball is what Idaho football did with the Kibbie dome and use and airplane hanger type of structure.

kibbie-dome.jpg

Kibbie-Dome-Outside-300x195.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibbie_Dome
                              Last edited by Chevy114; 04-11-2013, 10:11 AM.

Comment

It's turf.............

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X