Favorite Food, and other stands with player names on them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Food, and other stands with player names on them

Created a Between Innings thread on establishments with player involvement and thought a sister thread here would be appropiate, listing various stands, food or whatnot, or whatnot that had player's or anyone involved with the club's names on them.

Starting off with my Mets. Right now Keith Hernandez has his name on two burger carts in Citi Field, and for a brief time in the mid 1990s Rusty Staub had an annex of his restaurants at Shea.

Also, before being removed in favor of the massive team store in the late 1990s, there was Casey's 37 behind home in the Mezz level.

And finally a real quirk is something seen in the original previews of Citi Field is a place on the Field level, I want to say the stands on Third Base Side just across from what is now the Champions Club with the name "Duke's". No clue about why (well obviously honoring Snider) it was there in the preview art, or why it never came to pass.
    Last edited by SteveJRogers; 06-05-2012, 06:46 PM.
    NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
    Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
    Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Keith's Grill original location on the Field Level, around the third base foul pole I want to say:

Now coming at ya from the Promenade's Food Court:

I highly doubt there are photos of Rusty's ribs annex at Shea if I could barely Google any images of his Manhattan restaurants, so Gary, anyone? HELP!? I'm not sure if it was in that corner of the Field Level all the way in the RF corner, where they did have a food court esque setup for quite some time at Shea or if it was a bit further in, where only Field Level patrons could eat at it.

And I'm coming up empty for photos of Casey's 37 bar.

But here is the part of the original concept art for Citi that featured Duke's Grill:

Comment

If memory serves me right, the "Casey's 37" at Shea Stadium was on the Loge level, not on the Mezzanine, and it was on the first base side, not behind home plate. I believe the "Casey's 37" space was used for the Citi Field Preview Center in 2008.

It's more accurate to describe the location of the Field Level "Keith's Grill" as being in the left field corner, I think.
      X
      What's THAT guy doing?
      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
        If memory serves me right, the "Casey's 37" at Shea Stadium was on the Loge level, not on the Mezzanine, and it was on the first base side, not behind home plate. I believe the "Casey's 37" space was used for the Citi Field Preview Center in 2008.
        I could have sworn it was gutted for the Main Team Store's multi-levels of merchandise. And I want to say the Preview Center didn't come in until 2007, because I want to say Philip Humber was one of the Mets featured on the mural outside. Obviously he'd be traded that offseason for Santana.

Comment

There's "Manny's BBQ" on the riverwalk in the OF of PNC Park. Often Manny Sanguillen is there signing autographs.
          LETS GO BUCS!!

Comment

Bull's BBQ (Greg Luzinski), at Citizen's Bank Park.

143717464_b9ce9cf6e5_z.jpg

3805272364_ece7e8969b_z.jpg

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
            https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Orlando's BBQ (for Orlando Cepeda) at A T & T Park in San Francisco. I haven't been there in years, so I don't know if it's still there. I'll never forget the last time I was there. Orlando was behind the counter glad-handing the customers, and when I ordered the "Baby Bull" BBQ beef sandwich, he said to me, "No Cha-Cha Bowl? (rice and beans) I said, "No, Cha-Cha, I like it but it doesn't like me."(lol)
              After I got my food, he was sitting outside the stand with his niece and nephew, I believe, and he said to me, "Come. You sit with us." So, I had lunch with one of my Giant heroes. Quite a thrill.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X