Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Yankee Stadium

Hi,

Not being old enough to have gone to the old Yankee Stadium, I have some questions regarding the differences between the old and current Yankee Stadium. I hope some memories can be shared.

1- Is the current upper deck concourse level different from the one in the old stadium? In the old stadium it looks like the runways were much lower in the upper deck. If so, what happened to the old concourse?

2- Did all concourse levels have concessions and restrooms?

3- Above most runways, a red light is present. Where these lit all the time? If so, were they simply exit lights?

4- Was there a runway in the old mezzanine section right behind home plate near the front rows?

5- The current stadium has concrete walls with pillars between the concourse area and seating area in the main and loge sections. Was this done due to the pillars that reside inside the walls? I believe the old stadium had the seats going right up to the concourse areas.

6- When were the old wooden box seats replaced with curved seats in the old stadium? My guess would be mid-50's.

7- When the NY Giants played in the Stadium, behind their bench it looked like the field was lowered. It appeared a player could take a step down to the bench. Anyone know how this was done?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.....

Originally posted by YankeesFan
    Hi,

Not being old enough to have gone to the old Yankee Stadium, I have some questions regarding the differences between the old and current Yankee Stadium. I hope some memories can be shared.

1- Is the current upper deck concourse level different from the one in the old stadium? In the old stadium it looks like the runways were much lower in the upper deck. If so, what happened to the old concourse?

2- Did all concourse levels have concessions and restrooms?

3- Above most runways, a red light is present. Where these lit all the time? If so, were they simply exit lights?

4- Was there a runway in the old mezzanine section right behind home plate near the front rows?

5- The current stadium has concrete walls with pillars between the concourse area and seating area in the main and loge sections. Was this done due to the pillars that reside inside the walls? I believe the old stadium had the seats going right up to the concourse areas.

6- When were the old wooden box seats replaced with curved seats in the old stadium? My guess would be mid-50's.

7- When the NY Giants played in the Stadium, behind their bench it looked like the field was lowered. It appeared a player could take a step down to the bench. Anyone know how this was done?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.....
    OK! Here we go point by point...

1. In the Upper Deck (now referred to on your tickets as the Tier Level) the concourse level in the old stadium and the portal entries that accessed the seating were in fact lower. If you look at any pictures of the old Stadium, that original concourse would be seen on the outside as the level of louvres immediately above the semi-circular ones that define the Stadium exterior.

The original Upper Deck concourse was as wide as the present concourse but had the added drama of an open vista where you could walk the catwalks leading to the Upper Deck seating and view both Mezzanine (now Loge) and Field level stands below. The view was vast and quite dramatic seeing thousands of faces watching the game below you.

During the 1974-76 renovation that original concourse was closed off and an additional level was built above it. This in effect raised the access level of the portals to their present locations. The original portals were each closed off and the new ones were exactly alligned above them. The one reminder of their ever existing is the level of seats about 6 or 7 rows from the front of the Upper Deck that have a railing. This row defines the original cross-aisle that was the "old" portals level.

The original Upper deck concouse can occasionally be glimpsed if you are lucky to see a door open when travelling the ramps between levels to the top. The massive sweep of the Upper Deck that forms the "ceiling" above the Loge level is all hollow and lit within and the original catwalks are intact. The area is now used as a utility storage area and also was the location where seat repairs and replacements were.

2. Yes they did, but unlike the present day layout, the concessions, commissairies and restrooms were lined up against the exterior walls on all seating levels.

3. Yes. I think they were required by Fire Dept. regulations to define where exits were located, though I seem to recall that in the last years of the old Stadium (from 1967-1973) that those lights were BLUE. Could anyone else please confirm?

4. As a vendor I recall that there was used to be a cross-aisle that ran along the Mezzanine's outer sections but ended in a detour as you approached about where 1st and 3rd base would be. I don't remember there being a runway there though as all access from that level was from the Mezz concourse at the back.

5. Yes that is correct. Removal of the obstructing pillars made necessary the addition of new box pillars located toward the rear of the Field and Mezz seating. These new pillars serve as the new "balancing point" on which the weight of the Upper Deck would rest. You see them from the Stadium's outside as the vertical columns or "ribs" that form the base of the Stadium's "crown."

The additional rows extending outward from the original back row of the Upper Deck and the hydraulic cabling attaching them to the outer wall of the Stadium form the counterweight that makes possible the pillarless non-obstructed views while preserving the overhang of the Upper Deck above the Field level, something you do not see in any of the so-called "Retro" parks and most certainly will NOT be in the NEW Yankee Stadium either. (A TRAGIC loss of intimacy, but that is a topic for another forum...)

6. Not quite sure what you mean here. There was always curved-back seats that made up the boxes, and then there were the long flat-backed and bottom "bench" style seats that made up the seating from the pillars and back.

7. You got me hung on that one.. LOL

I will try to scan some pictures sometime later to illustrate the above points...

Hope you find this helpful!

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14

Comment

Great post Dennis. Correct on every point.

Comment

Dennis,

Thank You... your post brought back memories of the old stadium I had not thought of for years.....
        cong

Comment

Old Yankee Stadium

Thanks so much for the information.

1. Is there a reason why a new concourse was built for the upper deck?

2. I have also noticed that the portals in the field box area were also much closer to the field. They were in front of the cross-aisle, now they are behind it. Did the old portals lead to the same area as today? Would it have only been a longer tunnel?

3. I've seen in pictures that there used to be windows on the exterior of the stadium. Were these up against the walking ramps?

4. In old films it looks like fluorescent lights can be seen on the concourses. Are these from the old concession areas?

Thanks again for all the info. Just trying to piece together some old pictures I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeesFan
            Thanks so much for the information.

1. Is there a reason why a new concourse was built for the upper deck?

2. I have also noticed that the portals in the field box area were also much closer to the field. They were in front of the cross-aisle, now they are behind it. Did the old portals lead to the same area as today? Would it have only been a longer tunnel?
            1. Because several rows were added to the top of the upper deck. If they used the same concourse then it would be one heck of a hike from the tunnel to the uppermost rows.

2. Only the back half of the lower deck is original. The front half was reconstructed with a steeper rake to fit into the new, lower playing field. I assume that haas something to do with the tunnel not being quite the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
              Posted by YankeesFan:
              Q: Is there a reason why a new concourse was built for the upper deck?

Posted by Elvis9045:
              A: Because several rows were added to the top of the upper deck. If they used the same concourse then it would be one heck of a hike from the tunnel to the uppermost rows.
              The best recent evidence of the folly of not having the portals centrally located would be the original 1991 Upper Deck configuration of the New Comiskey Park (or Cell Block 2 or whatever it's name of the month is..., LOL).

The vertigo-inducing effect of the stands was an infamous criticism of HOK's (the architects) "State of the Art" design. While the "New" (2009) Yankee Stadium will have no such Upper Deck portals problems, it WILL suffer from being set back further from the field of play by virtue of its design.

Have you noticed that there are no comparison sillouette's overlaying the present Stadium seating against the (2009) design????

(Forgive me for spewing, but it is a sensitive topic for me, as I imagine for others as well who love the classic ballparks. The real Taj Mahal lasted some 1,400 plus years... the "Taj Mahal of Baseball" will barely live to 33 years in its 1976 form.... Structurally, it is not that unsound. But I digress, let's put this for another topic.. Sorry!) Now, back to our discussion!

Dennis
              BrooklynDodger14

Comment

I've posted on this many times, and I'll do so again. I'm in complete agreement with you on this. There IS NO REASON to put the upper decks back so far. The fact that these 'new and improved' parks have half the seats in no man's land far outweighs any of the positives for which so many people laud them. Pose this question directly to any 'new park' fan and they'll usually avoid the question, or say they never sit in the upper deck, or direct your attention to the new and improved concession stands.
                smoker

Comment

Originally posted by brooklyndodger14
                  The best recent evidence of the folly of not having the portals centrally located would be the original 1991 Upper Deck configuration of the New Comiskey Park (or Cell Block 2 or whatever it's name of the month is..., LOL).

The vertigo-inducing effect of the stands was an infamous criticism of HOK's (the architects) "State of the Art" design. While the "New" (2009) Yankee Stadium will have no such Upper Deck portals problems, it WILL suffer from being set back further from the field of play by virtue of its design.

Have you noticed that there are no comparison sillouette's overlaying the present Stadium seating against the (2009) design????

(Forgive me for spewing, but it is a sensitive topic for me, as I imagine for others as well who love the classic ballparks. The real Taj Mahal lasted some 1,400 plus years... the "Taj Mahal of Baseball" will barely live to 33 years in its 1976 form.... Structurally, it is not that unsound. But I digress, let's put this for another topic.. Sorry!) Now, back to our discussion!

Dennis
                  BrooklynDodger14
                  Dennis, they did release a sillouette. Here it is:

Oh, and if it looks familiar, that's because it's identical to Citizens Bank Park.

Edit: Never mind. I just realized that you are talking about the new Yankees ballpark. This is the Mets new one. True about the Yankees sillouette - never seen one, however, I made one myself right HERE
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Elvis; 05-25-2006, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by riverfrontier
                    I've posted on this many times, and I'll do so again. I'm in complete agreement with you on this. There IS NO REASON to put the upper decks back so far. The fact that these 'new and improved' parks have half the seats in no man's land far outweighs any of the positives for which so many people laud them. Pose this question directly to any 'new park' fan and they'll usually avoid the question, or say they never sit in the upper deck, or direct your attention to the new and improved concession stands.
                    Amen, Brother.

Comment

Here is a computer game image of Yankee Stadium (ca. 1960's)

Frame grab from Old Time Baseball (1996, Strormfront Studios) with some graphic embellishments around the scoreboard by me.

This is one of the best non-photo images of the old Yankee I've ever seen.
                      Attached Files

Comment

If you had to give a percent of how much of the old stadium is left in the renovated one what would it be?
                        "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

Yankee Stadium

Here is my version of that picture. It is a combination of several pictures and I use it as a backdrop in APBA Baseball for Windows. unfortunately I had to shrink it and reduce it greatly.

Lawrence
                          Attached Files

Comment

1970's Stadium Reconstruction

Here's a photo of Yankee Stadium
                            ys 70's recon Ia.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Myankee4life
                              If you had to give a percent of how much of the old stadium is left in the renovated one what would it be?
                              Hard to put an exact number on it, but I'd say about 75% original to the pre-1973 stadium.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X