Beer and Ballparks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer and Ballparks

Nowadays when you enter most ballparks, one of the first things you see is a huge Budweiser sign. It wasn't always that way. Each city had their own local beers at the ballpark. In New York The Brooklyn Dodgers Had Schaefer, the Yankees Ballantine, The New York Giants had Knickebocker, and the Mets had Rheingold. What were some of the local beers at other ballparks? I am especially interested in the old ballparks.
    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

It was before my time, but in Sportsmans Park in St. Louis, before Anheuser-Busch bought the Cards and bought the park from the Browns in 53, the Cards and Brownies had their own seperate beer sponsors and signs in the park. The Browns were sponsored by Falstaff, who had Dizzy Dean, their announcer, as the pitchman, while the Cards were sponsored by Griesedick Beer [pronounced GREEZE-A-DICK, which undoubtably lead to a lot of dumb pick-up lines in bars] with Harry Caray doing the ads. After AB bought the park, they put up a huge neon Budweiser sign above the LF scoreboard and changed the name of the park to Busch Stadium. Shortly after, would come up with a new brand, Busch Bavarian, that Harry pitched.
    It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

I always liked old Crosley field with it's inclined warning track. The young bucks and buckettes who pitch hissy fits about the hill in CF at Houston's park either have no memory or no clue.
      Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
      Astros Daily

Comment

Did Falstaff and Hyde Park have anything to do with Busch?

Comment

burger beer CROSLEY FIELD

Hello all, wasnt burger beer sold at crosley field. Donald
          LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
            Hello all, wasnt burger beer sold at crosley field. Donald
            Hey, somebody really knows his beer and ballparks!
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tonypug
              Did Falstaff and Hyde Park have anything to do with Busch?
              No, they were 2 other local breweries. There was about a dozen, besides AB that started back up in St. Louis after the end of prohibition. Falstaff and Stag, a beer made across the river in Illinois, were the last 2 other local survivors, both closed down in early 80's. Some other brewery bought the names to those beers.

Comment

Another Cincinnati beer that was sold at the park was Schoenling.

Comment

I'm not sure what brands were sold at Sportsman's Park before AB bought the team and the park in 53, my guess is they sold local St. Louis brands, Bud, Falstaff, Griesedick, others. After AB bought the park, they sold nothing but Bud and Busch. After they moved into the present stadium in 66, besides Busch products, they also sold Falstaff and Stag, local beers, since the stadium wasn't owned exclusively by AB any more. But after Falstaff and Stag closed, the park pretty much only served Busch products. And considering the brewery is 2 miles away, the prices they charge should be considered extortion. But you're a prisoner, and hey, what's bb without a cold beer?

Comment

I've searched in vain for a photo of the scoreboard from either Forbes Field or Three Rivers Stadium. In the late 1960's and early 1970's I remember listening to Pirates broadcasts on KDKA and listening to Bob Prince encouraging listeners to "Pour on the Iron" with an ice cold Iron City Beer.
                    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

One of the best beer advertisements in a ballpark was the Knickebocker Beer sign in the polo Grounds. It was a huge sign in centerfield. Some years it alternated with Pall Mall cigarettes, but it was a great piece of advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by Aa3rt
                        I've searched in vain for a photo of the scoreboard from either Forbes Field or Three Rivers Stadium. In the late 1960's and early 1970's I remember listening to Pirates broadcasts on KDKA and listening to Bob Prince encouraging listeners to "Pour on the Iron" with an ice cold Iron City Beer.

Best I could come up with. That's Maz' ball going out of the park and Yogi to the left. Yep, the Gunner and the Possum telling us about Iron City Beer, the Best Beer Around Here....Remember the Iron City Tub of Beer?
                        "I wanted to be a big league baseball player so I could see my picture on a bubblegum card."Al Ferrara

Comment

Forbes' Field scoreboard:
                          "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

I remember in thee 70s,Harry Caray would be hawking Falstaff at White Sox park.Everytime i would go to the ballpark when I was a kid,we would pass by the huge Falstaff silo on the Chicago Skyway.

That reminded me that we were getting close to the park.

Comment

Knickerbocker Beer And The Ny Giants

Hello here is a old knickerbocker beer ad from a new york giants 1956 program enjoy
                              Attached Files
                              LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X