in play flag poles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in play flag poles

is there a rule where u can put a inplay flag pole like touching the fence, or 1 foot away from the fence or can u put a flag pole little bit farther away from the fence like 10 ft??

Minute Maid Park in houston has a flag pole that's in play,just about a foot from the CF fence.

Yankee Stadium(1923-73) had the flag pole in play,and so did Tiger Stadium

Comment

Flag pole in play in Houston's Minute Maid Park.
      Last edited by Richmond Hill Phoenix; 01-08-2008, 11:56 AM. Reason: fixed broken link
      -Brandon

Comment

I would hate to be a centerfielder with a flagpole in play. That could cause a major collision!!
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee" - Joe Dimaggio

:radio "That looked like the TERMINATOR , only slower. Maybe it was the OUTTA-STATER or it could have been the HIBERNATOR - that baby is going away for the winter. Whatever , for Vaughn it might be SEE-YA-LATER. He's probably going to become a SPECTATOR." - Harry Doyle , Bob Ueker

Comment

Don't forget ... Yankee Stadium also had the monuments in play ...

See what Mickey Mantle had to deal with:

mjrbaseball

Now batting ... the center fielder ... number 7 ... Mickey ... Mantle ... number 7.  

Comment

Yes , That must have been fun also!!
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee" - Joe Dimaggio

:radio "That looked like the TERMINATOR , only slower. Maybe it was the OUTTA-STATER or it could have been the HIBERNATOR - that baby is going away for the winter. Whatever , for Vaughn it might be SEE-YA-LATER. He's probably going to become a SPECTATOR." - Harry Doyle , Bob Ueker

Comment

Comerica Park also had the flagpole in play, however, when they moved the LF wall in, they also moved it in front of the pole. Too bad.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee Pride
                I would hate to be a centerfielder with a flagpole in play...
                righty-o, y-p, but that stupid hill out there is greater cause for concern for the center fielder. imagine running full-tilt and then suddenly not fully extending your leg's stride. ouch! at least the fielder knows that the pole is atop the hill, with the hill effectually subbibg for a warning track.
                "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Wasnt the flag pole in Tiger Stadium in play?
                  It's Obvious You Wish You Were Part Of Yankees Nation

Comment

Flagpole was also in play at Pittsburgh's Forbes Field.
                    Flagpoles in play are/were way, way out there, very rarely to be of consequence when dealing with the vast majority of fly balls, and the ballplayers treat them as any other ballpark idiosyncrasy.
                    Tiger Stadium's flagpole was in play, a feature originally duplicated at Comerica.

Comment

Wasn't the flagpole at Fenway Park also in play until recently? Could have sworn I heard that it was...
                      Best posts ever:
                      Originally posted by nymdan
                      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

I am not sure, but I believe that the Fenway Park flagpole was taken off the field after the 1975 World Series, when they took the sheet metal off the Wall and replaced it with whatever they have on it now. They also put that dreadful scoreboard up in center fiield at that time. It was a significant face lift done in time for the 1976 season.

Comment

Originally posted by 1954 A's
                          I am not sure, but I believe that the Fenway Park flagpole was taken off the field after the 1975 World Series, when they took the sheet metal off the Wall and replaced it with whatever they have on it now. They also put that dreadful scoreboard up in center fiield at that time. It was a significant face lift done in time for the 1976 season.
                          I'm surprised at that, I thought it was more like the late 80s when the 600 club was added or when the TV camera area was added in left/center...
                          Best posts ever:
                          Originally posted by nymdan
                          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Good thread

Funny, but I've never seen a collision or even a near-collision with a flag pole. I've seen many outfielders bump their noggins on the brick wall behind the ivy at Wrigley, though.

So what do you think of the "hill" in centerfield at Minute Maid Park??? What's the logic for that????? :noidea
                            Nothin' like fun at the ol' ballpark!

Comment

Originally posted by baseballwise
                              Funny, but I've never seen a collision or even a near-collision with a flag pole. I've seen many outfielders bump their noggins on the brick wall behind the ivy at Wrigley, though.

So what do you think of the "hill" in centerfield at Minute Maid Park??? What's the logic for that????? :noidea
                              The same logic that has kept 60'6" the distance to home plate when it's always been known that the 6" was a 150 year-old typo.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X