in play flag poles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baseballwise
    ...So what do you think of the "hill" in centerfield at Minute Maid Park??? What's the logic for that????? :noidea
    the concept is a tip of the cap to a field of old, which had a hill in center field.

my guess -- and only a guess -- is that it was sportman's park.
    i am probably wrong on this particular, though. anyone???
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
      the concept is a tip of the cap to a field of old, which had a hill in center field.

my guess -- and only a guess -- is that it was sportman's park.
      i am probably wrong on this particular, though. anyone???
      Actually it was just an idea added to the ballpark by Astros president Tal Smith, who threw the idea in on a whim and expecting it to be thrown out of the plans. The incline is now known as "Tal's Hill" BTW.

Crosley Field in Cincinnati, and Yankee Stadium (from 1923-36) had inclined hills as part of their playing fields. Here's Yankee Stadium's old incline from the track to the wall:
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
        Wasn't the flagpole at Fenway Park also in play until recently? Could have sworn I heard that it was...
        Don't know about the flagpole in play although I know Fenway is the only ballpark with a ladder in play.

Comment

a couple questions:

1 when did fenway not have a scoreboard on the green monster, (you seemed to hint that that was the case at one point-if so, then where was the scoreboard.)

2 can you explain the 6 inch mistake that some guy made that caused the distance from the plate to the mound to be 60 feet 6 inches

3 also, what is the distance from home to second, and from first to third. (im assuming its the same distance.)

4 aside from fenway, what other stadiums, if any, still have man operated scoreboards?

5 what is the history behind that huge clock at Wrigley (??) (the one that was blown up in THE NATURAL?)

-Sasha
          “it is impossible to understand America without a thorough knowledge of baseball” -Mcafee

Comment

Originally posted by Sashag
            a couple questions:

1 when did fenway not have a scoreboard on the green monster, (you seemed to hint that that was the case at one point-if so, then where was the scoreboard.)

2 can you explain the 6 inch mistake that some guy made that caused the distance from the plate to the mound to be 60 feet 6 inches

3 also, what is the distance from home to second, and from first to third. (im assuming its the same distance.)

4 aside from fenway, what other stadiums, if any, still have man operated scoreboards?

5 what is the history behind that huge clock at Wrigley (??) (the one that was blown up in THE NATURAL?)

-Sasha
            1. I think he meant the center field board, not the left field board that has been there since the 30s.

2. I'm not sure of the exact details, however it was just a misprint in the original rules as they were written down, that was never bothered to be corrected. It was supposed to be 60' even.

3. I got Cs in math. h

4. Busch Stadium, Coors Field, Fenway Park, Miller Park, Minute Maid Park, SBC Park, Wrigley Field, Ameriquest Field, McAfee Coliseum, Safeco Field and PNC Park all feature hand-op scoreboards.

Last edited by Elvis; 06-08-2005, 07:38 PM.

Comment

-Sasha
              Is there in fact any history behind that huge clock at Wrigley that was blown up in The Natural? I don't know that Wrigley ever had such a clock and thought that scene was purely a Hollywood thing.

Comment

It should be the same. The sum of the squares of the two sides of the triangle equals the square of the hypotenuse. Do the math
                I will not assimilate into the Angelos Collective. Resistance is not futile.

Comment

Originally posted by baseballwise
                  Funny, but I've never seen a collision or even a near-collision with a flag pole. I've seen many outfielders bump their noggins on the brick wall behind the ivy at Wrigley, though.

So what do you think of the "hill" in centerfield at Minute Maid Park??? What's the logic for that????? :noidea

Isn't there also a hill in center field in the Kansas City Royals's stadium???

~~Tyler~~
                  Minor League Teams fan!
                  Favourite baseball teams....

Oakland Athletics - MLB
                  Vancouver Canadians - Northwest League
                  Venados de Mazatlan - Mexican Pacific League
                  Winnipeg Goldeyes - Northern League (independent)
                  University of British Columbia Thunderbirds- NAIA
                  ~~Tyler~~

Comment

127' 3 3/8"

-Sasha
                    The answer to this question just popped up in this link here that appeared in a thread in this same forum.

Thanks, cong.

Comment

Besides the flag pole being in play at Forbes field, so was the batting cage. After batting practice, they towed it out into the expanses to the left of the Flag pole, in the 457' part of the park.

There were also cages around three light poles that were in play. One in Left-center, one in center, and the other in right center.

I like the hill, and flag pole at Minute-Maid. Hat's off to Tal... ...It's the little things like that that add character to a park. The further we get from the "cookie-cutter" days, the better, as far as I'm concerned.
                      "The big thing about (Roberto) Clemente is that he can hit any pitch. I don't mean only strikes. He can hit a ball off his ankles or off his ear." -Hall of Fame pitcher Juan Marichal

Comment

Originally posted by klsm54
                        Besides the flag pole being in play at Forbes field, so was the batting cage. After batting practice, they towed it out into the expanses to the left of the Flag pole, in the 457' part of the park.

There were also cages around three light poles that were in play. One in Left-center, one in center, and the other in right center.

I like the hill, and flag pole at Minute-Maid. Hat's off to Tal... ...It's the little things like that that add character to a park. The further we get from the "cookie-cutter" days, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree, the little things like the hill and flag pole make the park more interesting and also makes the game more interesting also. I think all stadiums should have something unique about it. I agree with you fully.

Comment

Originally posted by 1995hoo
                          It should be the same. The sum of the squares of the two sides of the triangle equals the square of the hypotenuse. Do the math
                          OR root(2(90^2)) feet.

I get the feeling I'm becoming the resident maths-but-not-necessarily-stats-guy after my bashings about infinite ERAs.
                          Ask me to change my sig! Sig changed 7 times, last change requested by MapleSyrupMan!

...Just so you all know, I love being quoted. Even if you're ripping apart my post as awful and stupid, I don't care. Quote me.

Officially boycotting all threads with steroid talk; let's focus on the good of the game.

Comment

60"6'

I have heard that whoever it was that measured out the distance from the mound to the plate had messy writing. When writing 60" 0' , he instead wrote a zero the looked more like a six. This was copied over and over, and since then the distance has been where it now stands. I wonder, if a groundskeeper were to put the mound at 60" even, if a pitcher would notice the difference...
                            WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by mjrbaseball
                              Don't forget ... Yankee Stadium also had the monuments in play ...

See what Mickey Mantle had to deal with:

I once saw Frank Howard of the Senators hit a ball to the monuments and only get a double out of it!! 460ft. double! LOL

KH14
                              “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

got a few Questions

1. what ball parks from any time had or have a hill in center field

2. will new yankee stadium keep the monuments? have an in play flagpole or move the monuments into play?
                                i believe in the cubs

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X