Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StanTheMan
    replied
    The Polo Grounds certainly had the most elements in play of all time... No fancy hills or even flagpoles, but how about.

Monument - Eddie Grant Memorial similar to those at Yankee Stadium
    Two sets of stairs - leading up the center field clubhouses Windows on the clubhouse Doors at the top of the stairs.. the door is open with someone looking out of it in the photo below. Not a big deal really, no batted ball EVER struck the center field clubhouse. In fact there were not even any ground rules as to where a ball had to be hit to be a HR to center. Hit the wall above the windows? Above the overhang? No yellow line painted ANYWHERE... none needed at 483 feet to the base of the clubhouse wall!

Relay Throw.jpg

Overhang - a whopping 21 feet!!!!

Polo_Grounds_LF_overhang.jpg

BULLPENS - The only fair terrirory bullpens in all of baseball

PG Plate and Pen.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Kentucky Bomber
    replied
    Originally posted by MLB crazy View Post
    got a few Questions

1. what ball parks from any time had or have a hill in center field

2. will new yankee stadium keep the monuments? have an in play flagpole or move the monuments into play?
    New YS will keep Monument Park as an off-field area, but move it to center field below the batter's eye restaurants.

Leave a comment:

• MLB crazy
    replied
    got a few Questions

1. what ball parks from any time had or have a hill in center field

2. will new yankee stadium keep the monuments? have an in play flagpole or move the monuments into play?

Leave a comment:

• KHenry14
    replied
    Originally posted by mjrbaseball
    Don't forget ... Yankee Stadium also had the monuments in play ...

See what Mickey Mantle had to deal with:

I once saw Frank Howard of the Senators hit a ball to the monuments and only get a double out of it!! 460ft. double! LOL

KH14

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Hill Phoenix
    replied
    60"6'

I have heard that whoever it was that measured out the distance from the mound to the plate had messy writing. When writing 60" 0' , he instead wrote a zero the looked more like a six. This was copied over and over, and since then the distance has been where it now stands. I wonder, if a groundskeeper were to put the mound at 60" even, if a pitcher would notice the difference...

Leave a comment:

• BristolBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by 1995hoo
    It should be the same. The sum of the squares of the two sides of the triangle equals the square of the hypotenuse. Do the math
    OR root(2(90^2)) feet.

I get the feeling I'm becoming the resident maths-but-not-necessarily-stats-guy after my bashings about infinite ERAs.

Leave a comment:

• JPL BMX
    replied
    Originally posted by klsm54
    Besides the flag pole being in play at Forbes field, so was the batting cage. After batting practice, they towed it out into the expanses to the left of the Flag pole, in the 457' part of the park.

There were also cages around three light poles that were in play. One in Left-center, one in center, and the other in right center.

I like the hill, and flag pole at Minute-Maid. Hat's off to Tal... ...It's the little things like that that add character to a park. The further we get from the "cookie-cutter" days, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree, the little things like the hill and flag pole make the park more interesting and also makes the game more interesting also. I think all stadiums should have something unique about it. I agree with you fully.

Leave a comment:

• klsm54
    replied
    Besides the flag pole being in play at Forbes field, so was the batting cage. After batting practice, they towed it out into the expanses to the left of the Flag pole, in the 457' part of the park.

There were also cages around three light poles that were in play. One in Left-center, one in center, and the other in right center.

I like the hill, and flag pole at Minute-Maid. Hat's off to Tal... ...It's the little things like that that add character to a park. The further we get from the "cookie-cutter" days, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Hannah
    replied
    127' 3 3/8"

Originally posted by Sashag
    3 also, what is the distance from home to second, and from first to third. (im assuming its the same distance.)
    -Sasha
    The answer to this question just popped up in this link here that appeared in a thread in this same forum.

Thanks, cong.

Leave a comment:

• baseball_in_hel*
    replied
    Originally posted by baseballwise
    Funny, but I've never seen a collision or even a near-collision with a flag pole. I've seen many outfielders bump their noggins on the brick wall behind the ivy at Wrigley, though.

So what do you think of the "hill" in centerfield at Minute Maid Park??? What's the logic for that????? :noidea

Isn't there also a hill in center field in the Kansas City Royals's stadium???

~~Tyler~~

Leave a comment:

• 1995hoo
    replied
    3 also, what is the distance from home to second, and from first to third. (im assuming its the same distance.)

It should be the same. The sum of the squares of the two sides of the triangle equals the square of the hypotenuse. Do the math

Leave a comment:

• shoeless1920
    replied

5 what is the history behind that huge clock at Wrigley (??) (the one that was blown up in THE NATURAL?)

-Sasha
    Is there in fact any history behind that huge clock at Wrigley that was blown up in The Natural? I don't know that Wrigley ever had such a clock and thought that scene was purely a Hollywood thing.

Leave a comment:

• Elvis
    replied
    a couple questions:

1 when did fenway not have a scoreboard on the green monster, (you seemed to hint that that was the case at one point-if so, then where was the scoreboard.)

2 can you explain the 6 inch mistake that some guy made that caused the distance from the plate to the mound to be 60 feet 6 inches

4 aside from fenway, what other stadiums, if any, still have man operated scoreboards?

5 what is the history behind that huge clock at Wrigley (??) (the one that was blown up in THE NATURAL?)

-Sasha
    1. I think he meant the center field board, not the left field board that has been there since the 30s.

2. I'm not sure of the exact details, however it was just a misprint in the original rules as they were written down, that was never bothered to be corrected. It was supposed to be 60' even.

3. I got Cs in math. h

4. Busch Stadium, Coors Field, Fenway Park, Miller Park, Minute Maid Park, SBC Park, Wrigley Field, Ameriquest Field, McAfee Coliseum, Safeco Field and PNC Park all feature hand-op scoreboards.

Last edited by Elvis; 06-08-2005, 07:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sashag
    replied
    a couple questions:

1 when did fenway not have a scoreboard on the green monster, (you seemed to hint that that was the case at one point-if so, then where was the scoreboard.)

2 can you explain the 6 inch mistake that some guy made that caused the distance from the plate to the mound to be 60 feet 6 inches

4 aside from fenway, what other stadiums, if any, still have man operated scoreboards?

-Sasha

Leave a comment:

• shoeless1920
    replied
    Originally posted by efin98
    Wasn't the flagpole at Fenway Park also in play until recently? Could have sworn I heard that it was...
    Don't know about the flagpole in play although I know Fenway is the only ballpark with a ladder in play.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X