X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elvis
    replied
    Originally posted by west coast orange and black
    the concept is a tip of the cap to a field of old, which had a hill in center field.

my guess -- and only a guess -- is that it was sportman's park.
    i am probably wrong on this particular, though. anyone???
    Actually it was just an idea added to the ballpark by Astros president Tal Smith, who threw the idea in on a whim and expecting it to be thrown out of the plans. The incline is now known as "Tal's Hill" BTW.

Crosley Field in Cincinnati, and Yankee Stadium (from 1923-36) had inclined hills as part of their playing fields. Here's Yankee Stadium's old incline from the track to the wall:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    Originally posted by baseballwise
    ...So what do you think of the "hill" in centerfield at Minute Maid Park??? What's the logic for that????? :noidea
    the concept is a tip of the cap to a field of old, which had a hill in center field.

my guess -- and only a guess -- is that it was sportman's park.
    i am probably wrong on this particular, though. anyone???

Leave a comment:

• Elvis
    replied
    Originally posted by baseballwise
    Funny, but I've never seen a collision or even a near-collision with a flag pole. I've seen many outfielders bump their noggins on the brick wall behind the ivy at Wrigley, though.

So what do you think of the "hill" in centerfield at Minute Maid Park??? What's the logic for that????? :noidea
    The same logic that has kept 60'6" the distance to home plate when it's always been known that the 6" was a 150 year-old typo.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• baseballwise
    replied
    Good thread

Funny, but I've never seen a collision or even a near-collision with a flag pole. I've seen many outfielders bump their noggins on the brick wall behind the ivy at Wrigley, though.

So what do you think of the "hill" in centerfield at Minute Maid Park??? What's the logic for that????? :noidea

Leave a comment:

• efin98
    replied
    Originally posted by 1954 A's
    I am not sure, but I believe that the Fenway Park flagpole was taken off the field after the 1975 World Series, when they took the sheet metal off the Wall and replaced it with whatever they have on it now. They also put that dreadful scoreboard up in center fiield at that time. It was a significant face lift done in time for the 1976 season.
    I'm surprised at that, I thought it was more like the late 80s when the 600 club was added or when the TV camera area was added in left/center...

Leave a comment:

• 1954 A's
    replied
    I am not sure, but I believe that the Fenway Park flagpole was taken off the field after the 1975 World Series, when they took the sheet metal off the Wall and replaced it with whatever they have on it now. They also put that dreadful scoreboard up in center fiield at that time. It was a significant face lift done in time for the 1976 season.

Leave a comment:

• efin98
    replied
    Wasn't the flagpole at Fenway Park also in play until recently? Could have sworn I heard that it was...

Leave a comment:

• shoeless1920
    replied
    Flagpole was also in play at Pittsburgh's Forbes Field.
    Flagpoles in play are/were way, way out there, very rarely to be of consequence when dealing with the vast majority of fly balls, and the ballplayers treat them as any other ballpark idiosyncrasy.
    Tiger Stadium's flagpole was in play, a feature originally duplicated at Comerica.

Leave a comment:

• a-rod13
    replied
    Wasnt the flag pole in Tiger Stadium in play?

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    Originally posted by Yankee Pride
    I would hate to be a centerfielder with a flagpole in play...
    righty-o, y-p, but that stupid hill out there is greater cause for concern for the center fielder. imagine running full-tilt and then suddenly not fully extending your leg's stride. ouch! at least the fielder knows that the pole is atop the hill, with the hill effectually subbibg for a warning track.

Leave a comment:

• Elvis
    replied
    Comerica Park also had the flagpole in play, however, when they moved the LF wall in, they also moved it in front of the pole. Too bad.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Yankee Pride
    replied
    Yes , That must have been fun also!!

Leave a comment:

• mjrbaseball
    replied
    Don't forget ... Yankee Stadium also had the monuments in play ...

See what Mickey Mantle had to deal with:

Leave a comment:

• Yankee Pride
    replied
    I would hate to be a centerfielder with a flagpole in play. That could cause a major collision!!

Leave a comment:

• BaylorGuy314
    replied

Flag pole in play in Houston's Minute Maid Park.
    Last edited by Richmond Hill Phoenix; 01-08-2008, 11:56 AM. Reason: fixed broken link

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X