X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smirkman
    replied
    Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
    Nope. The rubber's not in the center of the mound. The mounds got an 18 ft diameter. 10ft from front of rubber to edge, 8ft from back of rubber to back edge.
    You are correct sir and if I did my math at the time I would have realized that the centerpoint of the diamond is 63' 7.6875". Oops.

I suppose more (i.e. better) research is needed.

Edit:

According to Glory Fades Away, by Jerry Lansch (and Wikipedia) the following explains the pitching rubber to home plate distance:

A pitcher threw from within a box where the front edge was 45 feet from the back of home plate (as all distances from HP).

To "increase the batting", the front edge of the pitcher's box was moved back 5 feet in 1881, to 50 feet from home plate.

In 1887, the box was set at 4 feet wide and 5 1/2 feet deep, with the front edge still 50 feet from the plate. However, the pitcher was compelled to deliver the ball with his back foot at the 55 1/2 foot line of the box.

In 1893, the box was replaced by the pitcher's plate. Exactly 5 feet was added to the point the pitcher had to toe, again "to increase the batting".
    Last edited by Smirkman; 11-14-2008, 07:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Seattle1
    replied
    I don't think a flagpole in the field of play is a very good idea. I don't like to see that kind of thing.

Leave a comment:

• metfan13
    replied
    Originally posted by Smirkman View Post
    That is a myth. The back of the mound is in the center of the infield and the pitching rubber is in the center of the mound therefore making the distance to the front of the rubber 60'6". Nice story though.
    Nope. The rubber's not in the center of the mound. The mounds got an 18 ft diameter. 10ft from front of rubber to edge, 8ft from back of rubber to back edge.

Leave a comment:

• jnakamura
    replied
    Originally posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    Didn't AT&T Park (Pac Bell Park at the time) have a flag pole in play when it first opened? I could have sworn they did, but I can't seem to find anything about it online.
    No, it never did. Maybe you're thinking about Comerica?

Leave a comment:

• Yankeefan3783
    replied
    Didn't AT&T Park (Pac Bell Park at the time) have a flag pole in play when it first opened? I could have sworn they did, but I can't seem to find anything about it online.

Leave a comment:

• MLB crazy
    replied
    old yankee stadium had some wierd warning track .
    it would curve then go up to the fence then curve and up to the fence...

there was a flag pole right there

Leave a comment:

• Smirkman
    replied
    Originally posted by Elvis View Post
    The same logic that has kept 60'6" the distance to home plate when it's always been known that the 6" was a 150 year-old typo.
    That is a myth. The back of the mound is in the center of the infield and the pitching rubber is in the center of the mound therefore making the distance to the front of the rubber 60'6". Nice story though.

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Originally posted by gemcaptom View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but WTF would any stadium put anything in the field of play, wether it be a flag pole or monuments or whatever?? Im baffled by this and they are still doing it today.. YS with its monuments and such on the field of play back in th eday was ridiculous, sorry Yankee fans, but what was that all about??? The Hill in Minute maid park and flagpole is just as absurd..
    Baseball wasn't all about the long ball in the early days. Back then, all of these obstructions didn't actually obstruct anything, they just existed beyond the ball field.

Now, anyone can hit a homerun out of any part of any park and so anything within the fence is hittable and things like hills and flagpoles are just gimmicks.

... but I still love 'em!
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 01-10-2008, 05:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Astros
    replied
    Originally posted by MLB crazy View Post
    what ballparks have /had /will a hill in center field????????????
    becides minute maid park
    Crosley Field had a terrace across the entire outfield. It was more noticable in left, but it ran across center and right as well. Tal Smith, President of Baseball Operations for the Astros, got his start with the Reds in the late 1950s and holds special memories of Crosley Field and that is one of the reasons he suggested one in Houston. The base of the hill is about 410 feet from home plate. It is 26 feet at its deepest point and rises about 5 feet up to the outfield wall.

Leave a comment:

• MLB crazy
    replied
    what ballparks have /had /will a hill in center field????????????
    becides minute maid park

Leave a comment:

• gman5431
    replied
    Polo Ground and other oddities

StantheMan, thanks for the polo ground pics. I'm very familiar with these oddities at the old ballyard, but havent seen those exact pics before, very nice.

Touches like this, which become increasingly rare is one of the things that gives ballparks its own character. The cookie cutters of the 70s were hated because they were all the same and i think many of the retro parks will be viewed similarly years from now. The hill, flag poles in play, etc is what gives a park meaning. The one thing i would like ot see in parks of this age are deeper outfields. The best play in baseball is the triple and there are way to many parks in the Majors where triples are impossible. My favorite park about ballparks is odd outfield demensions and walls that arent a stones throw from the plates.

G Man

Leave a comment:

• ElHalo
    replied
    Aside from hills in the outfield, the Polo Grounds used to have a temendous dip in the outfield. Standard playing depth in Center Field was about four to five feet lower than the infield.

Leave a comment:

• StanTheMan
    replied
    Didn't Stengel have a great quote (or at least something he yelled from the dugout when the ball was bouncing around out by the monuments at YS or the Eddie Grant memorial at the PG?

Something along the lines of "Player X!! Player Y!! Player Z!! The Ghost of Ruth/Grant... somebody PLEASE throw the ball back to the infield!!!"

Leave a comment:

• Kentucky Bomber
    replied
    Originally posted by gemcaptom View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but WTF would any stadium put anything in the field of play, wether it be a flag pole or monuments or whatever?? Im baffled by this and they are still doing it today.. YS with its monuments and such on the field of play back in th eday was ridiculous, sorry Yankee fans, but what was that all about??? The Hill in Minute maid park and flagpole is just as absurd..
    The monuments in YS and PG were a staggering distance from home plate. In all the years I watched baseball in the original YS configuration I could count on the fingers of one hand, OK maybe both hands, the number of balls I saw bounce out to the monuments, and I'm reasonably sure the Eddie Grant monument had very few visitors as well. Placing the monuments on the field in the current YS, with 408 as the deepest part of the park would insure almost daily interference with play.

Leave a comment:

• nymTom
    replied
    Originally posted by mjrbaseball View Post
    Don't forget ... Yankee Stadium also had the monuments in play ...

See what Mickey Mantle had to deal with:

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X