Gocheok Sky Dome - Seoul, South Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gocheok Sky Dome - Seoul, South Korea

Formerly known as the Seoul Dome, the Gocheok Dome in the northwestern suburbs of Seoul, South Korea is currently under construction. It will have a seating capacity of 22,238 when completed. When plans were first announced to build the Dome, seating capacity was reported to be 30,000.

Construction began in 2011, and was expected to be completed by 2014. However, that did not happen, due to bitter political arguments, workplace delays, and legal issues.

The Dome is now expected to be complete by 2016, early enough to host games for the March 2017 World Baseball Classic (WBC).

Incredibly, the Seoul City Government implemented the decision to proceed with construction of the Dome with no prior joint planning whatsoever between the City Government and the three teams of the Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) based in Seoul. That left these three teams - the Doosan Bears, the LG Twins, and the Nexen Heroes - stating to the Media in 2014 that they were happy with their current ballpark situations, making it appear that the Gocheok Dome would be a white elephant, with no permanent tenants.

The three teams all complained of three factors: (1) the Dome is too far out in the northwestern suburbs of Seoul, more than an hour by subway train from downtown Seoul, (2) the Dome is more than a 15-minute walk from the nearest subway station, and (3) the Dome does not have enough seats to make it profitable to move there.

However, on May 16, 2014, the Nexen Heroes stated that they may be willing to consider a move to the Dome. Since then, over the past nine months, there has been no mention of whether the Heroes will actually move to the Dome.

Since there is currently no English language website for information on the Gocheok Dome, I hope that this blog will bring together those who have information on the construction and later use of the Gocheok Dome.

Seems like this stadium has been "under construction" for a decade.
    The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Funky.

16083971112_46968fb51f_b.jpg

15897240058_f0ee244d5b_b.jpg

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
      https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Is the roof retractable or just translucent to let light in? Looks cool though, a big departure from baseball domes, looks more like the basketball arenas in America.
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

It's a stationary dome.

Comment

Does anyone know whether there is a nickname for the Gocheok Dome, formerly known as the Seoul Dome, in Seoul, South Korea ?

The two other domed baseball stadiums in Asia do have nicknames. The Tokyo Dome is nicknamed the Big Egg. And the Taipei Dome is nicknamed the Little Giant Egg.

Comment

Does anyone know why the seating capacity for the Gocheok Dome, initially announced to be 30,000, has been reduced to 22,238 ?

Photos of the stadium appear to show a building comparable in size to the Tokyo Dome in Japan, seating 46,261, and to the Taipei Dome in Taiwan, seating 40,000.

The largest current stadium in Seoul, Jamsil Stadium, home of the Doosan Bears and the LG Twins, has 26,000 seats.

Why would the city government of Seoul and the federal government of South Korea go to such enormous effort in spending hundreds of millions of dollars and five to six years of labor to build a relatively small stadium with only 22,238 seats?

Surely there is enough baseball interest in South Korea for Seoul to attract sellout crowds for future WBC and Premier 12 games of 40,000 or larger.

This seems like a big mystery.

Comment

Any more updates?

Comment

I think I like this place.

72ae8f5fb2bd43b9ba42a171335fd22e.jpg

Comment

This beautiful place finally opened last September!!!

CdK4Am7XEAA_Bsv.jpg

Comment

I think this stadium has become one of our favorites and I look forward for more fresh updates!!!

553a59be11a331359e4fc70a543c2cc2.jpg

Comment

So many possibilities. Domed stadiums are just the best! Congratulations South Korea!

201509071658776483_55ed43d637a10 (1).jpg

Comment

Gocheok_Sky_Dome.png

Comment

View from the batter's box.

ae3e7d0fcc7fda2cdd5e4d8cabac0f4a.jpg

Comment

I like the design, but that field looks SMALL.

Looks like the place is hemmed in and is unlikely to have much parking nearby, but I would guess that the Seoul area would be so crowded that they would just assume the fans will use mass transit. Assuming that Fenway and Wrigley do get replaced at new sites, I'm sure the teams are going to insist on having much more parking. Even Yankee Stadium has abundant nearby parking compared to those two. We 'Mericans love our cars!
                              "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X