New Yankee Stadium Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Yankee Stadium Pics

Here's a link to pictures of the new Yankee Stadium to be ready for 2009: http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...ix2005&index=1

I wonder what everyone's thoughts are. Personally, I think the exterior looks great, but the seats - especially the upper deck - look too far from the action. It kinda reminds me of the new Comiskey in that aspect.

IMO it looks too much like the current Yankee stadium. I kinda hoped it would be something fresh and new. It looks kinda boring. Ever since Camden Yards, teams are trying to create old-style ball parks. That's obviously what they were going for with the exterior, and in a way they nailed it, but the interior still looks like an 80's style boring ballpark with a ton of seats.

Comment

They specifically designed the interior to mimic the interior of the current stadium, which I guess isn't a bad homage.

My problem is a huge one with the stadium, though.... where's the wrought iron "fence" facade around the light towers? That key aspect of the original park should automatically be a part of the new park, but I don't see the facade anywhere in the new pics.
      "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

I couldn't spot the facade either, but I read in articles that the stadium would have it. Maybe they decided to add it after the pictures were drawn? :noidea

Comment

It looks like they are there, just not as prominent as they are now...

Another shot
          Best posts ever:
          Originally posted by nymdan
          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
            They specifically designed the interior to mimic the interior of the current stadium, which I guess isn't a bad homage.

My problem is a huge one with the stadium, though.... where's the wrought iron "fence" facade around the light towers? That key aspect of the original park should automatically be a part of the new park, but I don't see the facade anywhere in the new pics.
            The "facade" or frieze, will be much smaller than the original and made of a "translucent" material, not copper as was the original.

I don't see the "mimic" of Yankee Stadium in the models. It looks like Turner Field or US Cellular IMO. The outfield dimensions are the same, but not the profile behind home plate or down the lines.

The Upper deck is much farther away from the diamond than in the current stadium. This is the current trend of ballpark design for whatever reason.
            Last edited by Elvis; 06-16-2005, 09:11 PM.

Comment

sad

As a kid growing up in the Bronx, I have mixed feelings...the exterior looks great, just like the old stadium, but whose brilliant idea is it to downplay the facade...it needs to be just as prominent as the original...as it was the most recognizable feature.....and the modern roof design (from the outside) looks cheesy with regard to the classy limestone of the outside....and you are right...the fact that there are more lower level seats are great...but the upper deck seats should be right above the playing surface ...as it is today.

Just a note about the stadium falling apart a few years back....when I was about 15 (march of 76) I was allowed into the sadium as they were finishing the consruction...I noted that as they were installing the blue panels that line the middle deck today...they were being installed directly on top of the old white deck of the old stadium...so the middle deck is 80 years old...gee no wonder why it fell down....as I recall the last 12 rows of the upper deck were new...as they tore off the old roof...but the rest of the upper deck is the original..also 80 years old

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                ...The Upper deck is much farther away from the diamond than in the current stadium. This is the current trend of ballpark design for whatever reason.
                in order to give sunshine to the fans and to eliminate grandstand posts, upper decks hafta be pushed back a bit. otherwise the seating would go straight up.
                "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                  ... and to eliminate grandstand posts, upper decks hafta be pushed back a bit. otherwise the seating would go straight up.
                  Actually, Yankee Stadium HAS NO grandstand posts.
                  Attached Files

Comment

"Here's what I think is wrong with this new ballpark -- but it is the same thing that is wrong with ALL the new ballparks ...

"I understand that owners want luxury boxes and Yankee Stadium has (I believe) only 12. And building 150 or so luxury boxes will steal cheap seats (the kind I sit in.) But worse, today's architects seem to think that lower deck seats are somehow preferable to upper deck seats. In the present Yankee Stadium there are ~ 20,000 lower deck seats and ~30,000 in the upper deck (plus ~7,000 in the mezzanine.) The plan for the new park reverses that. Any real fan would prefer to see the whole game from upstairs.

"Worse, when Yankee Stadium was renovated in 1974-75 great expense was gone to to, yes, remove the infamous "poles", but also to preserve the extreme cantilever of the upper deck over the lower, so upper deck fans were amazingly close to the action. This was accomplished by the use of cables buried in the concrete and anchored into the ground. The only other ballpark that I know of that used the same cable arrangement was DC Stadium -- another park with VERY close upper deck seating in the infield (despite its concrete cylinder form.)

"Sit downstairs in the first few rows and look at the upper deck in the Stadium. It seems to be right on top of the lower deck and going straight up. National League teams coming into the Stadium actually marvel at how close the screaming-banshee Yankee fans are to the action.

'But the cabled cantilever design is expensive -- much too expensive to waste on the "cheap seats". So they build luxury boxes instead and move you and me to a seat in a different zip code. For all its architecural excellence, even a place like Camden Yards gives the back of its hand to the peons upstairs.

"As far as the "history" ... well ... except for the relationship of the stands to the field, which is pretty much the same in the 1976 Stadium as it was in 1923, most of the character of the old ballpark was obliterated when it was remodeled 30 years ago. A fake plastic "facade" tacked on in the outfield just isn't the same as the green copper adornment to the old park's roof.

"Even if you want to make the case that Gary Sheffield plays on the same patch of ground as the Babe (I think I wanna be sick) you have to allow for the 10 feet deeper the '76 park's field is into the earth than the original.

"The new park will recreate the 1923 exterior (although it will actually be a "false-front") and take a stab at recreating the so-called "facade" around the roof. (When Mantle hit the facade off Fisher in, what was it, '64?, he referred to it as the "FACARD".) And, maybe best of all, the plans call for preserving the playing field and part of the lower deck of the present Stadium for amateur games.

"So, all in all, as desecrations go it could be a lot worse."

From Andrew Clem

Comment

800 million wow :radio
                      I Would Rather Play Baseball Than Eat-Andy Pafko

A's Fan! :gt

In Zito We Trust!

Comment

I heard that the "old field" would be used for high school and youth league games. Does that mean that they are going to tear down the grandstands and keep the "field" or keep the whole thing standing? I can't imagine that they would leave a 75,000 seat stadium standing for high school games.

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                          Actually, Yankee Stadium HAS NO grandstand posts.
                          ok. yer right.
                          how 'bout this: in order to give sunshine to the fans and/or to eliminate grandstand posts, upper decks hafta be pushed back a bit. otherwise the seating would go straight up.
                          thanx, for the pic and the proof, elvis
                          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

I just hope they call it "Yankee Stadium" and not sell naming rights, so we would end up with "Yahoo Yankee Stadium"
                            It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                              ok. yer right.
                              how 'bout this: in order to give sunshine to the fans and/or to eliminate grandstand posts, upper decks hafta be pushed back a bit. otherwise the seating would go straight up.
                              thanx, for the pic and the proof, elvis
                              This is a HUGE shame though.

So because lower deck fans have to get sunshine, us people up in the upper deck (I've never once in my life sat anywhere but the upper deck at a baseball game) have be pushed ten miles back from the action? The upper deck is SUPPOSED TO cantilever out over the lower deck. The lower fans have a close up view of the field; who cares if they get sunshine?
                              "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X