Wilmington Park - Wilmington DE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilmington Park - Wilmington DE

Having grown up and lived 10 miles outside of Wilmington, DE my entire life, I found this a very interesting read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington_Park

"Wilmington, Delaware’s earliest professional baseball team, the 1884 Quicksteps (50-12) of the disbanded Eastern League and “major league” Union Association (2-16, .111), played at “Wilmington Ball Grounds” on the southwest corner of Front and Union Streets, a semi-rural area on the southern edge of town. The 1913 Wilmington Chicks of the Tri-State League were the last professional team to play there.

With the league season less than three months away, the directors of Wilmington Baseball Park, Inc. solicited bids for the construction of a park and playing field on a vacant sixteen acre site at East 30th Street and the recently opened Governor Printz Boulevard in the city’s northeast corner. Contracts for construction were awarded in early February to Robert F. Engler, general contractor, and Earl E. Downing, who was responsible for readying the diamond. Work on the facility began shortly thereafter. Inclement weather often hampered construction, but additional workers were added as needed in order to finish by the May 1 opener at a cost of $185,000. Built of concrete, steel, and wood, the structure seated 4,454 in the covered grandstand, 546 in the boxes, and 1,850 in the bleachers. Another 4,500 could be seated outside the grandstand. The facility also featured fireproof dressing rooms built of concrete beneath the grandstand, and an office, umpires’ room, press room, electrical control room, and press box. One of the nation’s most spacious playing fields, it was 355 feet down the left field line, 420 to dead center, and 370 to right. Home plate was relocated in 1944, but it didn’t help hitters much. According to author Elbert Chance, 'In ten seasons and more than 700 games, only four Interstate League players had cleared the right field wall.' 2 The park’s lighting system underwent a major upgrade in 1946 when illumination was increased to 400,000 watts."

Has anyone been to Frawley Stadium, home of the Blue Rocks, in Wilmington? As a Phillies fan, I hate them, but I have been to quite a few of their games just to watch baseball, of which I have immensely enjoyed. It is located on the Riverfront of Wilmington. Here is a picture of Wilmington Park, and then Frawley Stadium.

Cool thread. Opened May 1, 1940, demolished 1963.

1940, Blue Rocks game

dd8a3faf-92d9-4bc2-87a5-e8b2f8748241_lg.jpeg

Date unknown

BlueRocks_-_From_Mound_V3T.jpg
    Last edited by alpineinc; 12-16-2016, 06:42 PM.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
    https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Originally posted by alpineinc View Post
      Cool thread. Opened May 1, 1940, demolished 1963.

1940, Blue Rocks game

[ATTACH]158210[/ATTACH]

Date unknown

[ATTACH]158211[/ATTACH]
      Thanks for the comment, alpineinc. The Phillies hosted Spring Training there from 1944-1945 because of WWII, and the University of Delaware's football team played there from 1940-1952, before moving to brand-new Delaware Stadium in Newark, Delaware. I wish the park was still standing. Here's what the area looks likes now. How disappointing

Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 1.06.29 PM.jpg

Comment

The Philadelphia A’s were the parent team of the Wilmington Blue Rocks from when the stadium opened in 1940 until 1943. They also conducted spring training there in 1943 due to travel restrictions imposed during WWII. Note the boxing ring in the bottom photo. Former champions Rocky Graziano, Joey Maxim, Sugar Ray Robinson, along with local contenders Al Tribuani and Lou Brooks, fought there in the 40s.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X