Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manual scoreboards: in which parks, past and present?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    two-three: How does one have a manual out of town scoreboard?
    at mays field in san francisco, runs are posted as they are scored.

all scoreboard games can be accessed by a two-tiered catwalk. the 2 guys who operate the manual board get updates on their computer and head on over to the appropriate game. they do a terrific job.

Leave a comment:

• Calif_Eagle
    replied
    Been spending the day cruising the old ball park threads... Cleveland Municipal Stadium had a manual scoreboard for 1 Indians season. I'm not sure of the exact year but it would have been late 70's between the end of scoreboard # 2 (the first ever electric board in the CMS, which replaced the Stadium's original manual board in CF, sometime in the early 60's I believe.) which was very similar to the one used in the 60's at the original Comiskey Park in Chicago (they had a Sox-O-Gram, we had a Fan-O-Gram message area, the Twins had a similar board at the old Metropolitan Stadium, complete with a Twins-O-Gram lol). When Art Modell decided to install a new "modern" display scoreboard at the CMS (btw, the all white light message board model he chose was outmoded technologically before it was finished being installed, as color and Diamond Vision and the like were just becoming available.) we had a brief interlude with no main electric scoreboard being available, while the new one was going in. (There were still the auxilary electric boards on the upper deck facings in LF and RF.) So in that season, I want to say 1979 but its just a rough guess, we had a small manual board on a scaffolding tower in left center field which an operator sat next to and updated. This may have been the last such board in an MLB park that was from necessity (more or less, anyway, this point could surely be argued) and not just to be a trendy "old style" retro design feature.
    Last edited by Calif_Eagle; 06-10-2007, 09:25 PM. Reason: word choice

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    Polo Grounds Manual Scoreboards

Hello all . the polo grounds had 2 manual scoreboards one down in right field and one in left field Donald

Leave a comment:

• Chisox73
    replied
    Originally posted by Mattingly
    Thanks, everyone.

How does one have a manual out of town scoreboard? If there are 14 other games on a weekend, do people scramble around to keep updates for every run scored? Or do they wait until an inning ends before updating?

I presume that all scoreboards were manual before the LED things we see now. When did the scoreboards stop being all manual?

Thanks.
    To answer that question.Braves Field in Boston,and Sportsman's Park in St.Louis were the first ballparks to have electric scoreboards.Those were installed in the late 1940s.If I'm wrong about this,please feel free to correct me.

Soon after,all the others outside Wrigley discovered electricity for thier scoreboards.

Now,as for keeping the scoreboard updated,the scoreboard operators had teletype machines that would give them updates,and would post those on the board accordingly as it came over.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Thanks, everyone.

How does one have a manual out of town scoreboard? If there are 14 other games on a weekend, do people scramble around to keep updates for every run scored? Or do they wait until an inning ends before updating?

I presume that all scoreboards were manual before the LED things we see now. When did the scoreboards stop being all manual?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• E.Banks#14
    replied
    At Fenway, because they added the NL scoreboard after the Green Monster was built, the hallway behind the AL scoreboard didn't extend to where the NL scoreboard was placed so a guy has to go out between innings with a ladder and update the NL board.

Leave a comment:

• E.Banks#14
    replied
    I believe Wrigley has the only "full" manual scoreboard.

Leave a comment:

• Elvis
    replied
    Originally posted by Mattingly
    I know that Fenway has one. Do any other current parks have this? Also, which parks in the past had the score kept by hand?

Thanks.
    Current: Busch, Coors, Miller, Minute Maid, PNC, SBC, Wrigley, Ameriquest, McAfee and Safeco.

Former: Too many to list.

Leave a comment:

• Ontarioguy
    replied
    Olympic Stadium had a manual out of town scoreboard along the top of the wall across the outfield.
    Last edited by Ontarioguy; 06-22-2005, 01:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Astros4Life
    replied
    The astros have a manual out of town scoreboard...we were one of the few domes/multipurpose that kept a manual out of town scoreboard...the new field has the same cowboy and bull on the big board as the dome

Leave a comment:

• Manual scoreboards: in which parks, past and present?

I know that Fenway has one. Do any other current parks have this? Also, which parks in the past had the score kept by hand?

Thanks.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X