Identify pitches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify pitches

Can someone give a quick tutorial of how the various pitches differ. OK, fastball, curve and change up are not necessary, but I'd like to know the dif between a breaking ball, slider, sinker, cutter, etc.

I'm not necessarily looking for HOW to throw them, but more how the ball moves or what it does.

Thanks!
    Vdub

Originally posted by vdubya
    Can someone give a quick tutorial of how the various pitches differ. OK, fastball, curve and change up are not necessary, but I'd like to know the dif between a breaking ball, slider, sinker, cutter, etc.

I'm not necessarily looking for HOW to throw them, but more how the ball moves or what it does.

Thanks!
    Vdub
    Well it depends on the pitcher. Some of their breaking balls go 12-6, others 10-4 or 11-5. 9-3 would be a slider. Some pitchers can make their cutters cut into a LH (away from RH), or the opposite, or both. So it depends on the pitcher ur facing.

Anyone else have any stuff to add? Agree or disagree?
    While I do prefer to interact with people in a gentle manner... I'm also not at all opposed to establishing my dominance in a reign of terror.

Comment

Originally posted by vdubya

Thanks!
      Vdub
      slider 10-4 or possibly 3-6

sinker snap at the end 12-6 (appears like a fastball)

I cant believe u left out change-up, circle change can be deadlier than a curve fastball arm action, slower with slight 12-6

cutter tailing fastball

knuckleballs are their own demention

u can curve action change up action, dancing, u name u can do it with it,(only if thrown properly)

split- fastball arm action hard break 12-6
      HEY! Cleveland! two words JOHN ELWAY! put that in your pipe and smoke it Browns fan!

Comment

The best illustrations I have seen, of specific traditional pitch rotations and accompanying spin axes, are in Dr. Bagonzi's book The Act Of Pitching.

Bob Feller wrote that this is 'the best book on pitching that I have ever read.' Of note, though what Dr. Bagonzi historically taught is very different from what Dr. Marshall advocates, he wrote this:

"I'm grateful for the Mike Marshall's of the world who are so thoroughly versed in the scientific aspects of athletic performance that their proclamations have a finality to them. Because they also speak from the voice of experience, their views are worth their weight in gold when one is attempting to clear up a controversial area in technique. They speak with substance, both with regard to athletic performance, and the laws of physics and biology. But the Marshall's of this world are few and far between. And for every Marshall, one can find a hundred would-be experts."

--page xix, The Act Of Pitching, Dr. John Bagonzi
        Last edited by Coach45; 12-27-2005, 05:26 PM.
        www.rpmpitching.com

Comment

A slider could be 12-6 for all pitchers. For righties it could be 9-3 or 11-5 and lefties, 3-9 or 1-7. A curveball could be like Barry Zitos' 1-7 from a lefty or 12-6 and a righty could throw a ball 11-5. Cutters are usually 9-3 or 3-9 depending on the pitcher.
          Last edited by Guerrero Mad Man 2715; 01-08-2006, 11:58 AM.
          "The AL Team representing Orange County" - Joe Buck "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim near the Arrowhead Pond, south of Santa Barbera" - Dan Patrick "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California of USA...near San Juan Capistrano" - Peter Gammons...Chris Berman

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X