Sliding on artificial grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sliding on artificial grass

There’s a chance that I can get into a winter league this month. The only catch - the entire playing surface is artificial grass - even the base paths. I can’t remember what the stuff is called, but it’s one of the new kinds of artificial surfaces similar to what was installed last year in Rogers Centre (formerly SkyDome) in Toronto. It’s not like that old carpet-y stuff they used to have, it’s more like actual grass... kind of.

The reason I ask is because one of my biggest fears getting back into the game in my mid-thirties, is sliding. Mix that fear with an artificial surface that I’m unfamiliar with and I worry I could end my amateur adult career before it begins.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Hi Pete,
    Have seen it and looked at companies that sold it, but never played on it. I do know some of the new stuff is greatly different than the old "astro turf" type stuff.
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Our college football team plays on some of that stuff, and when we went on it for "fan appreciation day" it seemed spongy enough that it won't be too hard to slide on, particularly if you get sliding pads. If you get pants with a bit of nylon in 'em, you'll probably slide a bit better to.
      sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

Are you sure that the area around the bases isn't dirt? I've never seen an artificial field that had turf around the bases. If you slide on artifcial turf, you'll have a high chance of blowing a knee out if you don't know what you are doing.

Comment

c'mon, pgibbons, the women used to slide in the dirt wearing skirts!
          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Are you going to be playing at a 'Big League Dreams' field? Just curious, have not played on it but watched kids do it with no (apparent) problems.

Comment

Originally posted by hiddengem
              Are you sure that the area around the bases isn't dirt? I've never seen an artificial field that had turf around the bases.
              Yeah, I'm sure. It's a multi-use field with no cut-outs. It's typically used for soccer and lacrosse, but this year they're going to try baseball.

If you slide on artifcial turf, you'll have a high chance of blowing a knee out if you don't know what you are doing.
              Exactly what I'm afraid of.

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
              c'mon, pgibbons, the women used to slide in the dirt wearing skirts!
              That's because they're tougher than me

Originally posted by tadlock11
              Are you going to be playing at a 'Big League Dreams' field? Just curious, have not played on it but watched kids do it with no (apparent) problems.
              No, I hadn't heard of 'Big League Dreams' fields until you mentioned. I searched and found this:

http://www.bigleaguedreams.com/

Looks kinda interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by pgibbons
                Yeah, I'm sure. It's a multi-use field with no cut-outs. It's typically used for soccer and lacrosse, but this year they're going to try baseball.
                Don't slide unless you want a reason to leave the team

Comment

Don't slide unless you want a reason to leave the team
                  Yeah, if my teammates start encouraging me to slide more, I'll know what they really think of my skills (or lack thereof)

Comment

A community college near me has that stuff... i played on it for a clinic it wasn't bad... but there is dirt around the bases on ours

Comment

Find a 12 year old to slide on it first, and see how freely he slides with an ordinary slide. If it seems to grab his clothes, I'd just decide that trying to take the extra base ain't worth it. If Jeremy Giambi doesn't need to slide, why do you?

If you feel he made it safely with plenty or margin for error, make sure you don't catch the side of your cleat in the stuff when you try it. And nylon wind pants are starting to sound better and better...
                      sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

I think it might be astroturf. It is a very hard survace and has fake grass on the top and made and supported by bits of rubber.
                        "The AL Team representing Orange County" - Joe Buck "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim near the Arrowhead Pond, south of Santa Barbera" - Dan Patrick "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California of USA...near San Juan Capistrano" - Peter Gammons...Chris Berman

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X