Hey, Blue Steve!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, Blue Steve!

Educate me about the biggest changes in Little League rules this year, please sir. I'm attending one clinic and helping host another for umpires (in Dist 31, Texas).

Everyone's abuzz with the pitch counts it seems. We're holding ours to a very flexible 70, with no more than 90 (and only then to finish an inning they started with less than 70, if that makes sense). As chief umpire in the league, we are going to have a much bigger strike zone than you see in the majors, certainly, especially in the vertical zone.
    Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
    Astros Daily

Originally posted by PopTop
    Everyone's abuzz with the pitch counts it seems. We're holding ours to a very flexible 70, with no more than 90 (and only then to finish an inning they started with less than 70, if that makes sense). As chief umpire in the league, we are going to have a much bigger strike zone than you see in the majors, certainly, especially in the vertical zone.
    The new Little League pitch count rules make absolutly no sense to me when we have parents who allow their children to pitch in two leagues. I have coached both middle school and high school I have become extremely frustrated with parents who allow the kids to pull double duty. To combat this our local HS does not allow players to play other leagues until the season is over.

The Little League is trying to regulate safety into their system when they should be conducting better pitcher training. I have recently been in contact with Little League International, and found they offer little to nothing in the way of pitcher training and defer all their training to Al Herbeck and Al Price (Al and AL). By their own admission Al and Al train less than 1% of the Little League coaches world wide. And I am not certain their pitcher training is appropriate. If it was we would not have the amount of damaged arms that we have.

As we discussed in other threads. Pitcher training when it's most needed (9-16 y/o) should be the priority. Not further regulations.....
    Last edited by Jake Patterson; 01-18-2006, 05:16 PM.
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Educate me about the biggest changes in Little League rules this year, please sir. I'm attending one clinic and helping host another for umpires (in Dist 31, Texas).

Not up on the new changes for Little League, yet. We have our first meeting next week. I rarely work Little League anymore, nor do my kids play LL (they are in Pony. Mustang and Shetland, respectively). I'll get the scoop next week and pass on any info.
      http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

rule changes

There is no pitch count rule yet, merely a program that leagues are free to join.

There are two significant rule changes that I noticed. First, 12 year olds may now try out for the Junior Division of LL, but the local league may elect to hold on to the 12 year olds. Second, during the all star tournaments you can only have 2 adults in the dugout or on the field if you have 12 or fewer players. You must have 13 players or more if you want 3 adults on the field or in the duggout.

Comment

The pitch count is not a hard rule, at least yet. And you can have the best damn coaches in the world at this level and still not be able to do anything about parents who are hell-bent on rushing kids to the lure of the million dollar contracts. Little League can only do the best to take care of themselves. I don't always agree with their rules (limiting adults in the dugout is a new one I don't like that much). We have been keen on pitch counts for a while, and I see it beneficial on two fronts:

1) It will at least keep an over-zealous Little League manager from abusing young arms, and;

2) It will force teams to at least try and develop more pitchers instead of relying just on 2 or 3 to get them through a week or even an entire season.

True, you need good coaching, plain ol' solid coaching of fundamentals. But there's really not rule one that Little League Baseball can come up with to ensure solid parenting.

The 12-yr-old rule regarding moving to Juniors is due to the fact LL shifted the cutoff dates on their age brackets. Some kids who were 12 last year still qualify for 12 this year because of that shift. I was under the impression that the ability for some of the 12-yr-olds to move up to Juniors is a 1-year deal only.
          Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
          Astros Daily

Comment

I asked about pitch counts last week. The Little League rule guy in the Association said that there were going to be pitch counts, but that is not our (the umpires) problem, it would be a League matter, like players and that kind of thing.

On another note, missed third strike mechanic was discussed in the HS group and we had a MLB umpire speak to us. They are going to have some kind of mechanic to deal with that situation so what happened last season in the ALCS does not happen again.

What was suggested was the gave a safe signal (no catch) if you are sure of that. On the bases, if you see a catch, help out your partner, or have some subtle kind of signal to offer what you have to help your partner. Also with two strikes, give a call right away before any appeal "yes he did" or "no he did not" verbal and visual signal before the defense even appeals. That way the runner knows he is in jeopordy and must run and the defense must retreive the ball and make the play to get the out.

Plate umps must get help immediately if a past ball with two stikes occurs. If for whatever reason, that "automatic voluntary appeal" by the base umpire is not necessary.
            http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X