Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chris -

I define buggy whip the way Nyman does.

body/spine/torso is handle of whip which bends back and forth - bow-arch-bow.

arm forms loop that is whipped by the handle.

the connection between the arm and handle is the shoulder complex of which the scapula is an essential part via its ability to clamp on to the thorax via the scapulothoracic "joint" (not a true joint).

Nyman has good model but was unable to figure out the mechanics in enough detail to teach throwing, so he bailed out of this approach to pursue his "form vs function" more "inductive approach (which I think is bogus - wishing to perform a function isn;t going to make it happen without adequate understanding of underlying mechanics).

Hodge has a very good understanding of the arm movement sequence and how this demands lower body synch that then produces an effective/consistent whipping of the arm loop by the handle. Describing the biomechanics in kinesiological terms is a very successful way of establishing a universal underlying model to organize analysis and teaching.

Basically, the arm starts forming a loop, the scap unloads to finish laying back the loop, then the loop whips the hand/ball.

important aspects of the model are the bow -arch-bow and the flatbed (linear weight shift) merrygoround and ferriswheel torso motions which blend in many ways giving the many/unique surface styles seen.

Still the underlying essentials as described by Hodge which apply broadly across most successful practitioners.

Again, post a clip here of a classic pitcher that does not seem to adhere to the "absolutes" and I will tell you what I think I see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
      Ick.

Anthony Reyes is an example of an accident waiting to happen.
      I was at that game, Reyes gave up 5 runs in the first inning, and his command ....... sucked!

Comment

• Originally posted by Go Cardinals View Post
        I was at that game, Reyes gave up 5 runs in the first inning, and his command ....... sucked!
        IMO this is evidence that his elbow (IOW his UCL) is starting to loosen up.

If he follows Prior's pattern, which I think he will given his nearly identical mechanics, then his elbow will go in the next year or so followed 3 or so years later by his shoulder.
        Obsessed with Pitching Mechanics.

Comment

• From justthefacts’ post #91:

"Not everyone makes it clear as to what their gender is.
          …….
          It's as simple and/or as complicated as that."

Comment

• from #53:

"randy, I think you and Jake answered your own questions. If you don't know what you are doing, then don't do it."
            http://www.hittingillustrated.com/teaser1.wmv
            Last edited by Jake Patterson; 06-24-2007, 07:25 PM. Reason: Space

Comment

• Originally posted by ray porco View Post
              from #53:

"randy, I think you and Jake answered your own questions. If you don't know what you are doing, then don't do it."
              Ray On this we agree.

Are you suggesting this guy is helping these two players??
              "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
              - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• don't you know who that is?
                Last edited by Jake Patterson; 06-24-2007, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ray porco View Post
                  don't you know who that is?
                  I do now .
                  "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                  - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• he says:

"What we're gonna do is ......ah.......
                    I'm put, I'm puttin'...I want....
                    The reason I brought you here today, is I want to do some filming for a.....
                    I'm making up some cd's for some people on hitting, OK? And I wanted you guys to be here so I can show how I work with players."

Comment

• Originally posted by Go Cardinals View Post
                      He looked ok after that first inning..............but yes he did suck in the first!
                      "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
                      "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

• Ray,

Who is it?

THop

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
                          IMO this is evidence that his elbow (IOW his UCL) is starting to loosen up.

If he follows Prior's pattern, which I think he will given his nearly identical mechanics, then his elbow will go in the next year or so followed 3 or so years later by his shoulder.
                          As a fellow cards fan this is what I think....... TRADE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Alright... so what's the conclusion? Is Inverted W stressful or what?
                            What Igawa does for fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7KzVSA7eBY

Comment

• Originally posted by AcidLake View Post
                              Alright... so what's the conclusion? Is Inverted W stressful or what?
                              Yes it is...... it is bad for your arm. I tried it once (very slowly) for fun too see what its like...... and it hurts just trying to do it. Yes it helps you get good seperation etc..... but the same yet better seperation etc.... can be acheived by proper techniques. Trust me, don't do it. It's better to be safe than sorry.
                              Check out Chris's website

http://www.chrisoleary.com/

Comment

• All that thread and here we are. LOL

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X