Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB swing speeds

I don't know if this thread belongs in this forum, but here goes anyway:

What is the average (or approximate average) of the speed of swings of Major League hitters? Or, if you want, supply any info on any level of the game that you have.

Mods, feel free to move it if it fits better in another forum.
    sigpic

Originally posted by giantsalltheway16

What is the average (or approximate average) of the speed of swings of Major League hitters? Or, if you want, supply any info on any level of the game that you have.

During the HR derby in Boston they showed readings on the swings.

If I recall people like McGwire and Sosa were up there close to 100 mph. For some reason I think I remember Sean Green being low 90's

Comment

I believe I read in Mike Eptsteins book that a study was done and the average bat speed for a major leaguer in a game is in the high 70's.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsalltheway16

It seems to depend on what device measures it and/or which source you get the info from. I've heard everything from 70's to upper 80's as average. With 90+ on the big boys.

Dr. Adair in his book, "The Physics of Baseball" says a swing of 70mph at an 85mph pitch will hit the ball about 400 feet. So, I would say that 70 to 75 is an average swing (just an educated guess.)

Comment

Originally posted by jbooth
          It seems to depend on what device measures it and/or which source you get the info from. I've heard everything from 70's to upper 80's as average. With 90+ on the big boys.

Dr. Adair in his book, "The Physics of Baseball" says a swing of 70mph at an 85mph pitch will hit the ball about 400 feet. So, I would say that 70 to 75 is an average swing (just an educated guess.)

What about a swing at 70mph with a 19ounce bat? . Just given you a hard time Jim.

Comment

Not sure if this has much to do with this but when Doctors Miller, Carroll, Johnson and Nathan established the BESR committee for the NCAA Baseball Research Panel they used a bat speed of 70 MPH and a pitch speed of 75 MPH. I would imagine they tried to emmulate the higher end norm of NCAA players.
            "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
            - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X