X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posted by Mud:

Originally posted by Ursa Major View Post
    In the meantime, you can also learn the way the old timers did: from watching and trying to emulate The Best In The World. As far as lower body movement, you can't do much better than Josh Hamilton:

Good luck!
    Good advice . . . start with emulation and save your money. If you feel you have to get "instruction" verbally and visually, I'd first start here for ease and clarity of understanding and implementation with this short 2 minute and 40 second clip . . .

. . . if you need more you can find find it at the website listed in the watermark on the screen of the clip.
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• Tewks' Teachable Momments

I thought this would be great to capture (Follow the links):

Secondary Leads on 90' Diamond:
      http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...ond&highlight=

Teachable Moment #2: Don't Let the 3B Hold Runners at Third:
      http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...ird&highlight=

Teachable Moment #3: Pitcher's Delivery Time Awareness:
      http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...ess&highlight=

Teachable Moment #4: Get Off the Bag As Far As Possible on Popups:
      http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...ups&highlight=

Teachable Moment #5: Offense/Defense w/3-2 Count, 2-outs with force out situation:
      http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...ion&highlight=

Teachable Moment #6: Middle Infield Communication w/Runner on 1st:
      http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...1st&highlight=

Teachable Moment #7: 1st & 3rd, less than 2 outs, ground ball to first close to bag:
      http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...bag&highlight=

Teachable Moment #8: Baserunning from 2nd Base on Ground Balls to Left Side:
      http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...ide&highlight=

Comment

• From Tewks:

Time Warp... google is so smart.

Patrick is the guy I met with. It was a lot of fun. Air cannon is so loud!

Comment

• From Tewks:

I wanted to share some videos I've started making. AB Athletic Development is my business and I am working to get content out about what we teach and why we teach it. Just getting into some basic topics to start but wanted to share.

Video #1: Why we teach what we teach.

http://youtu.be/IEab-WqW-2c

Video #2: Don't get the foot down early.

Part 1: http://youtu.be/9U3u5iYGi10

Part 2: http://youtu.be/5q3VIfncsGc

I plan to update this thread with new videos as I post them.

Comment

• From Tewks:

Infield Instruction: Justin Morneau - First Base

http://www.abathletics.com/2011/11/1...base-explaine/

Comment

• By Jim Booth and PT

Originally posted by pthawaii View Post
              So I've started a journey to teach my son to not swing down through the ball, but rather get the bat in plane of the pitch, and then move the barrel through the hitting zone at about a 10 degree upswing. It's going okay, but I'm not exactly sure what the verbal cue or teach is to get him from stance (hands near back elbow, knob pointed towards catcher) to where the barrel is in plane with the pitch.

Is there a teach here? Or should I just keep focusing on armpit to armpit with hands, keep lead arm up, and not worry about this teach? I'm almost thinking I need to teach him to supinate his top forearm, otherwise the barrel comes straight down to the point of contact, but again, I'm not even sure that's a teach or not.

Thanks for any thoughts.
              There are mechanical fundamentals that need to happen, but the easiest way, is to simply have him hit a ball off of a tee, and check the resulting flight of the ball. If the ball immediately heads toward the ground, he either swung down through the ball, or topped it. Adjust the swing path until the ball consistently goes on a horizontal line after being hit, or slightly up.

The mechanics involve the elbows and shoulders. Both elbows move simultaneously in most MLB swings. There are a FEW exceptions. And the shoulders tilt. Keeping the back shoulder up is a huge MYTH.

The back elbow should drop into the side, or back hip and the front elbow should rise, and the front shoulder rises and the back shoulder drops, ALL move simultaneously.

The hands/wrists maintain the angle that exists between the forearms and the bat. Keeping this angle while moving the elbows and shoulders, points the knob at the ball and sets the swing plane, now just turn and throw the barrel, concentrating on keeping the hands above the ball.

Here is what it should look like after you do as I described above, as your initial move;

Here's how he moves. The elbows and shoulders all move together. Get the front elbow up and think of the barrel going horizontal through contact, NOT down.

Comment

• Posted by mud...
                Originally posted by azmatsfan View Post
                I know the "right" answer is "no", but I honestly can't see a difference in these two clips, other than the obvious difference of adjusting the barrel path for a low outside pitch in the AG clip. These may not be the best clips to compare.
                Nothing wrong with being honest, if you don't see the difference yet, you don't see it . . . we'll keep working.

How about these clips . . . are their bat paths more similar to Torres or Gonzalez?

Comment

• From J. Booth
                  Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                  I don't have any Mantle clips in my file, so if you would be so kind to post a couple, so I don't have to go searching through 40 some pages to find the ones that I know were posted here earlier I'd appreciate it (or you could link me to the ones here if you know where the are).

Thx....

Here are two;

Comment

• Ted
                    Originally from JJA?

How are you able to determine it isn't elliptical barrel force?

Comment

• From Chris O'Leary

Comment

• From this thread:
                        http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...and-Heel-Plant
                        From Tewks:

[/QUOTE]

From Chris O'Leary

Swing Coach
                        minor league disconnect early.jpghands back major vs minor.jpg

Chris O'Leary

I'll grab more later - Thanks toallwho posted

Comment

• From Chris:

From 4 by 4:

Comment

• From Mud:

Originally posted by Sillyer View Post
                            Sounds sage but I'm not quite sure how it works. Can you elaborate?
                            Most folks think of the stride as being a movement associated with the lead foot.....similar to thinking about taking a "stride" or step when we walk.

The problem with that is that just as we "stride" forward as we begin to walk, so does our weight immediately begin to move ("shift") forward also. So in essence, the hitter is striding forward, shifting his weight forward, and then swinging (shift THEN swing) . . .

(......Insert just about any clip of many/most amateur hitters that you may have here......I don't want to single anyone particular hitter/person out.....)

High level hitters on the other hand, carry their weight on their rear leg as they begin to move forward, using their lead leg to basically balance (counter-balance?) that forward movement, while carrying/controlling their weight transfer on their backside (rear leg for sake of discussion).......

.....until they've read the pitch, and then initiate the weight transfer/shift along with the swing (shift AND swing).

Hope that helps, let me know if I need to expand on that explanation.

(Thanks to "NoonTime" for all of the quality .gifs used in this post!! )

Comment

• Posted by Noon Time

Last edited by Jake Patterson; 07-26-2012, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• I thought this is worth saving here in Clips, Pics ad Sites because it is often asked... The following thanks to CatchingCoach Jr.

Hey guys,

So that the info has a permanent place on this forum, I'll re-post the article that was linked to by Ralanprod.
                                Running a camp for catchers around the country, this is definitely one of the most common questions we are asked. Personally, I never liked wearing them. But of the 100+ catchers who attend our two weeks of summer camp each year, usually more then 40 will wear them. Now technically speaking, a catcher with a good stance will almost never touch them unless they are in the sign-giving stance. However, the question that has always bothered my father and I was what amount of research was done in the development of the Knee Savers regarding catchers, prolonged squatting, and eventual knee damage anyway.

To get that answer we spoke at lengh with Dr. Douglas Farrago, the doctor in Maine who actually designed them, patented them in 1991, and sold the rights to Easton. What we learned was that there was no specific study done relating to catchers or sports at all. Certainly not on the preventative value of knee savers on young healthy athletes. All of the research which was done, and the subsequent conclusions drawn from that research, was from work done with coal miners. You know, 6-ft tall, middle-aged miners in 4-ft high caves. Lots of squatting going on there for sure. The application for catchers was a spinoff from that research, and when it was applied to catchers it was initially applied to older MLB catchers with existing knee conditions.

Dr. Farrago made it very clear that the Knee Savers MUST be worn on the lower strap settings to avoid putting pressure on the back side of the knee joint. He gave the example of placing a tennis ball behind your knee and duct taping it there and then attempting to crouch. The damage done from placing those pads directly behind the knee will far outweigh the damage done over time while playing the position without them.

Now, seeing that the knee is designed to bend that way, we also asked him whether it is the mere act of repeated squatting that causes this damage or something else? My father's illustration was "why are their entire Asian cultures that spend more time in a catchers squat position as a daily routine and no real increase in degenerative knee disorders? Elderly people in these cultures are in that position for hours a day, yet they do not seem to need Knee Savers." Dr. Farrago had thought about that situation himself and does not have a medical reason why they do not suffer from this "catcher specific" problem. He questioned whether it may have to do with the fact that from childhood these people sit that way, but he was not positive.

However, after talking with a few more doctors regarding this matter, it was explained to me that although the crouching position does tend to put some added strain on the knee joint, there is a chance it is the constant standing back up that could really be the key to the added wear and tear on a catcher's knees. Sometimes even getting up out of the crouch in a very explosive and violent manner.

So it is clear that many older adult catchers have been able to lengthen their careers after knee injuries with Knee Savers, but anything more than that is still up in the air. At the very least, please make sure that if your catcher is wearing them, they NEED to be properly attached to the shin guards on the lowest possible strap setting.

Hope this helps answer the question....

[email protected] - I will forever miss you Dad. You are my hero. Heaven's catchers just got a whole heck of a lot better... (RIP Coach Weaver 1955-2011)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X