Drill I use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ohfor
    Can anyone help me with this computer question.

Both desktops work fine. Laptop takes 2 minutes to load this site or to go from page to page in this site. No problem with other sites. I believe it has to do with popup blockers but not sure.

Laptop is 6 months old.

Desktops are 1-2 years old.
    Is it all the time or just soon after you've powered on the laptop? I know that my laptop has McAfee on it and when I turn it on, it often hangs a few mins. while McAffee downloads updates.

I apologize for the size of some of my GIFs (400k on the double image). I couldn't get it any smaller, despite the JPGs used in it being only 45k or so each. Dunno if that's affecting it? Is tonight the first time this has happened?

Comment

All the time. Just took 2 minutes after I hit the "reply" button to get to the typing screen.

Comment

Originally posted by MSandman
        Thanks for the effort, HG. I appreciate you trying to help me see the light.

However... I know it's not as easy to do, but I'd still like to see overhead views (of the fence drill and now this one too) to see the swing paths. I've shot that angle before on top of an 8' step ladder.

As for this drill being a live version of the fence drill...

or... any closer to how we really want a hitter to swing than the fence drill...

I'm not so sure. :noidea

As others have already pointed out some of... I see restricted rotation as indicated by lead foot closed through whole swing, hips staying closed (belt buckle still pointing SW instead of slightly east of south). Also, shoulder plane nowhere near perpendicular to axis of rotation setup by posture, shoulders stop turning and arms disconnect and guide bat through.

I understand what's been said about "it's a drill... for a specific purpose, etc.". Nonetheless, if it allows a hitter to repeat other detrimental movements, is it worth it? (rhetorical question I suppose, as I've given up on trying to really convince anyone that it's anything other than an extremely useful drill )

Here's a thought... Is it a true statement that we really need to provide a "barrier" to enforce the swing path coming from the inside only at the start of rotation? If so, might setting the tee up behind home plate, and about halfway (left to right, that is) along the curve from when the bat is directly facing the catcher to contact? Then put another tee (with a ball on it) out in front of the plate on the inside corner (where we might normally make contact w/ an inside pitch) or for a more outside pitch, at the front of the plate. Would this serve to force the hitter to bring the bat inside the rear tee, but then remove the restriction once he's started the bat on the right path?

Would this alleviate the need to disconnect and tug the hands in unnaturally (which is what I personally see in the fence drill) or to drastically over-tilt the shoulders, thereby causing an inefficient mismatch between spine angle and shoulder plane, then disconnect (which is what I personally see in this tee drill)... just to avoid hitting the barrier?

I won't be able to try this until this weekend, but I'll try to test it out.

Thanks again, HG for taking the time to film and post.

Sandman
        I deffinetly can see where you are coming from and I agree with the assesments made. But the reason I use this drill with the T where I have it is because the kids I'm using the drill on take a swing like the skeleton I showed above with the blue swing path.

I agree that putting the T behind the hitter works good, but for a different reason. If I put the T behind the hitter with the swing problem I am working with it would like like this:
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hiddengem
          No worries, I feel like I'm 29 going on 21.

This drill is basically a "live" version of the fence drill where you can actually swing at a live pitch while having to take the correct inside out swing and not hit the T. Talk about instant feeback.
          I like it. I know a player I will use this on this weekend. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohfor
            Can anyone help me with this computer question.

Both desktops work fine. Laptop takes 2 minutes to load this site or to go from page to page in this site. No problem with other sites. I believe it has to do with popup blockers but not sure.

Laptop is 6 months old.

Desktops are 1-2 years old.
            Not sure. Some things to check if you haven't already:

What browser are you using - IE? If so, try maybe Firefox or another browser?

Maybe caused by less memory in the laptop? Doubtful based on your description that everything is fine on all but this site.

Narrow down if it is routing to the baseball-fever host or something on the pages here. Turn off images, etc (can do in the browser or in your user profile here I think). If it's still slow without images, turn off javascript and/or java and restart browser. If still slow, sounds more like network routing problem to the site.
            Last edited by jsiggy; 02-01-2006, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Yeah, Ohfor, I'd start with memory and then make sure you've got all the updates to your operating system (Windows XP?). Also, you can get the Internet Explorer 7 beta; that might help. It's available here.

Can your laptop download other big web sites as quickly as your desktops can?
              sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

MSandman, nice work on the images.

I deffinetly can see where you are coming from and I agree with the assesments made. But the reason I use this drill with the T where I have it is because the kids I'm using the drill on take a swing like the skeleton I showed above with the blue swing path.
                HG, maybe I'm misunderstanding... Are you saying you are using this to get the kid's to understand & use the proper swing plane (perpendicular to spine so as to be same as momentum plane of shoulders)? As opposed to trying to help a kid who casts or to create an inside-out swing? If so, you might consider something else for showing swing plane instruction. A long stick across their shoulders while hitting off a tee at different angles is a good start.

As for casting, I still say there are better ways to correct this problem. I'm coming from the assumption that I must get a kid to learn how to stay connected to have a high-level swing - and casting is just one of many forms of disconnecting. So rather than fixing "casting", I just work on connection and fix casting as a side-effect.

As an example, for a kid that casts badly, I have had them perform two drills:

Drill 1: arms start out nearly fully extended so that he/she is forced to cast. Want them to feel how weak of a position this is. Usually just takes a couple of swings. Some learn to cheat and keep the arm close to the body, so the front arm is almost barred but no longer casting out toward the plate... I like these kids.

Drill 2: front arm pinches shirt near the armpit between thumb and forefinger as they swing, holding on as long as possible (aka scotty flail's "front hand, rear titty grab" drill). Front-arm-only drills often help here too as any form of casting feels really weak when using just the front-arm.

The goal is just to let them feel the difference in the two swings.

In general, I tend to spend a fair amount of time trying to make them understand/feel strong vs. weak positions, so they better understand when they're in a good position later (when their HS coach is telling them to use that 2-plane swing for example).
                Last edited by jsiggy; 02-01-2006, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jsiggy
                  trying to help a kid who casts or to create an inside-out swing?
                  This is what I'm trying to do. I've done your drills, and they no doubt work. But right now I'm having a higt rate of success using this.

Tonight I got to work with a kid that had a severe problem casting his swing and swing out, around and down, like the skeleton with the blue swing plane.

Putting the T where I showed you, along with having him grab his shirt, did wonders for his swing.

Maybe you could tape your swing for us, so I can understand what you are talking about, with regards to the "connection" issue.

Comment

Originally posted by swingbuster
                    are we concluding that something that weighs as much as pujols rear arm/ elbow/ shoulder are coming down and into a turn at minus 32 feet per second has no energy
                    How much "energy" do you think is gained by having the elbow up so high? From personal experience, starting with it about 4 inches from my body takes nothing away from bat speed. It's all about the hips and lead shoulder anyway, and with the elbow lower, seems I have a split second longer before committing.

Comment

This is what I'm trying to do. I've done your drills, and they no doubt work. But right now I'm having a higt rate of success using this.

Tonight I got to work with a kid that had a severe problem casting his swing and swing out, around and down, like the skeleton with the blue swing plane.

Putting the T where I showed you, along with having him grab his shirt, did wonders for his swing.
                      I don't think of the blue swing plane skeleton as casting, just a bad swing plane - but I think I see what you're saying.

Maybe you could tape your swing for us, so I can understand what you are talking about, with regards to the "connection" issue.
                      My swing sucks - and would not be a good example. I keep planning to work on it consistently again... until then I may get video get one of my hitters though.

Comment

Originally posted by jsiggy
                        I don't think of the blue swing plane skeleton as casting, just a bad swing plane - but I think I see what you're saying.
                        Ok, well maybe I don't know what casting is then. I always thought that casting had to do with letting the barrell of the bat come off your shoulder outwards, then go down and around the ball. Maybe I can cast yet have a decent swing plane?

My swing sucks - and would not be a good example. I keep planning to work on it consistently again... until then I may get video get one of my hitters though.
                        Please do..
                        Last edited by hiddengem; 02-02-2006, 12:10 AM.

Comment

How much "energy" do you think is gained by having the elbow up so high?

Maybe the amount you get from a little better posture, a little better hip coil, a little better shoulder turn etc etc..

I can't quantify it. I just think when the rear comes down and the lead goes up there is some synergy adding a balanced shoulder turn.

It is never mentioned but I think it exist. Especially compared to a very low rear elbow start. It might relate to keeping the front shoulder down and in and helping some batters get off the back side???

Just thoughts I have at times when I try different set ups

Comment

I agree that putting the T behind the hitter works good, but for a different reason. If I put the T behind the hitter with the swing problem I am working with it would like like this:
                            I tend to agree w/ jsiggy... that what you seem to be tackling is the swing plane, not necessarily casting. In my mind, casting is the premature separation of the rear elbow from the hip, causing the out and around swing, often hitting the ball lower on the bat than the sweet spot. For instance, when swinging at a high pitch right down the middle or inside, from a very upright posture, a hitter could still cast and hit the outside of the ball weakly. That's why I think moving the tee inside (and back) would force the hitter to stay "tight" until they got past the tee.
                            Last edited by MSandman; 02-02-2006, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Ok, well maybe I don't know what casting is then. I always thought that casting had to do with letting the barrell of the bat come off your shoulder outwards, then go down and around the ball. Maybe I can cast yet have a decent swing plane?
                              That's correct. Casting and swing plane are two separate issues. You could do both wrong, or just one.

Casting itself also has more than one cause.

Sometimes, the kid torques the wrists almost immediately and moves the bathead before even turning any part of the body. They start throwing the bathead even before moving the arms or hands, (that is the true definition of casting) then they move their arms way out away from their body and bring the bat around toward the ball (that's another part that isn't always there.)

If they hold the bathead back and don't twist the wrists, but immediately push the bat handle out toward the plate, and then come around, that is casting also, but with a different symptom.

If they uncock the wrist and push the hands out and swing down, then you have SEVERE casting and a lousy swing plane.

They could cast and make a perfect swing plane.

Comment

I think Jim describes casting pretty well.

Body knows it is going to have to get the artms involved becasue coil is poor.Usually this starts with the uncokcing of the wrists to throw the bathead out.

This is where the player tends to "sense" the problem and the "natural" reaction is to fix it with compensating by throwing the bathead starting with the wrists. This does not work becasue cause and effect has not been understaood/ taken back far enough/analyzed.

So, next bright idea is to say "don't uncok wrists early" be like TED hit with unbroken wrists. But again,the casue effect is not right and the fix isn't adeqate. Just disconnect by arm extension instead, keeping wrists dutifully cocked.

Got to back up further to fix load.

Also note the different result of back elbow lowering in HG vs Pujols.

When Pujols elbow comes down,the bat is moving/circling/uncocking.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X