X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pwrecker289
    replied
    Originally posted by WailukuHeights View Post
    I keep seeing a bunch of broken Quatro's online, they seem to all be 30" models. My son's 29" is holding up fine so far. The breaks are happening in the barrels, cracking. The handles seem to hold up.
    One of the other Major division teams in our Little League has broken 2 Quatro's in only a span of 5 games. Rawlings is not honoring any warranty, etc. The two Ghost X bats on our team are holding out fine. In fact, another team's player has the leagues only 3 HRs with a 31" Ghost X.

Leave a comment:

• dvk123
    replied
    Other parents looking for a light bat with a low swing weight may find this useful. I finally received a Louisville Slugger 518 Omaha 27/17 and a 618 Solo 28/17. Actual weight for the 518 is 18.5oz and for the 618 it's 17.7oz. I had my son swing both of them a few times and he felt the 618 was slightly easier to swing. He's a really small kid and we've been looking for the lowest swing weight on these new USA bats. I then calculated the swing weight for both of these bats using the procedure and spreadsheet on the www.justbatreviews.com site and ended up with an MOI of ~3330 for the 518 Omaha and ~3560 for the 618 Solo, indicating that the 518 should actually be easier to swing. Keep in mind I don't have a laboratory with laser timers, but I repeated the test a few times and the 518 consistently scored lower.

Anyone out there have updated recommendations on the best USA bat for the smallest players in 7-8 y/o machine pitch?

Leave a comment:

• SuicideSqueeze
    replied
    Any reviews of the Rawlings Threat -12 composite yet?

Cant find much on line....seems cheap for a composite at $150

Leave a comment:

• WailukuHeights
    replied
    I keep seeing a bunch of broken Quatro's online, they seem to all be 30" models. My son's 29" is holding up fine so far. The breaks are happening in the barrels, cracking. The handles seem to hold up.

Leave a comment:

• SuicideSqueeze
    replied
    Our team's Easton S450 got dented within the 1st week of use. Its below the sweet spot

Havent seen or heard of this issue and all the other S450's the kids have are still fine.

Leave a comment:

• WailukuHeights
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeG View Post

For the first time since January 17 I've become aware of a new bat and added it to the list:

http://www.baseballexpress.com/catal...oductId=138400

I linked to Baseball Express because it's not yet on Rawlings site. It's not shipping until April but when it does, it will be an interesting one to test for kids in the 7 to 9 age range.
    Interesting. Not sure how much engineering goes into end cap design (aside from Rawlings' composite or Axe's Hyperwhip), but that end cap looks like a soup can.

Leave a comment:

• JoeG
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeG View Post
    I continue to track new USAbat models, except . . .

There aren't any.

There was a big batch initially for September 1 and a bunch more later in September from Easton in Demarini. Since then, not much. A few models from Anderson and Dirthy South, a few from Easton and Rawlings, but that's it, and literally nothing at all new since January 17.

https://www.filterjoe.com/2017/09/08...e-usabat-list/

Please let me know if you know of a model or entire product line that should be on this list.
    For the first time since January 17 I've become aware of a new bat and added it to the list:

http://www.baseballexpress.com/catal...oductId=138400

I linked to Baseball Express because it's not yet on Rawlings site. It's not shipping until April but when it does, it will be an interesting one to test for kids in the 7 to 9 age range.

Leave a comment:

• jamzg5
    replied
    Originally posted by ilemons View Post
    I have to ask the question. Why would anyone buy a -5 USA bat? In 14U where a -5 or BBCOR is a must. Why not just swing BBCOR. My sons 14U team will have tournaments where he can swing -5 USSSA bat, and other tournaments where he will have to swing BBCOR only. All the rules that I have looked up where you have to swing a USA bat a BBCOR bat is allowed instead. I guess i'm only asking the question for 14U. I could see why some bigger 12U or 13U kids might want to swing a -5 for more weight in a USA tournament.
    Some MS conferences are allowing -5 USA baseball standard bats. Ones that allow 6th graders to play MS for the most part and have kids that are < 100lbs and struggle with the -3 BBCOR. Where BBCOR is a .50 coefficient of restitution, the USA bat standard is a .53. Seemingly not a lot, but may make a difference with 2 ounces lighter and slight increase in coefficient.

In any tourney situation where USSSA are allowed, those would be the ones you go with if you're wanting to win the tournament.

Leave a comment:

• ilemons
    replied
    I have to ask the question. Why would anyone buy a -5 USA bat? In 14U where a -5 or BBCOR is a must. Why not just swing BBCOR. My sons 14U team will have tournaments where he can swing -5 USSSA bat, and other tournaments where he will have to swing BBCOR only. All the rules that I have looked up where you have to swing a USA bat a BBCOR bat is allowed instead. I guess i'm only asking the question for 14U. I could see why some bigger 12U or 13U kids might want to swing a -5 for more weight in a USA tournament.

Leave a comment:

• JoeG
    replied
    I continue to track new USAbat models, except . . .

There aren't any.

There was a big batch initially for September 1 and a bunch more later in September from Easton in Demarini. Since then, not much. A few models from Anderson and Dirthy South, a few from Easton and Rawlings, but that's it, and literally nothing at all new since January 17.

I do know that Axe has plans to release one or more bats intended for 7-10 year olds, hopefully in time for the Spring season. That would have to be a few weeks from now if they want to make it in time for rec leagues in fair weather states like CA.

Anyone know of any other USAbat models that may be ready in time for the spring season?

Here's my current list:

https://www.filterjoe.com/2017/09/08...e-usabat-list/

Please let me know if you know of a model or entire product line that should be on this list.

Leave a comment:

• Viking0
    replied
    Originally posted by steven-sq View Post

I had the review mixed I was looking at Dicks and did not notice the year on the bat. I had searched for the model.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...515011258tbbbb

The denting reviews were applying to the 2017 model. Hopefully this 2018 is better.

You scared me there for a minute. We purchased a -5 USABat 5150, which I got for $85 on Ebay, and are happy with it so far. I like the end weighted design for both my 6th and 8th grader.

Leave a comment:

• Pwrecker289
    replied
    Originally posted by WailukuHeights View Post

Can't say I disagree with your reasoning for pushing this through, but I would make your Board check with your insurance carrier (Gagliardi). If a child was injured as a result of a non-sanctioned bat that was approved by your league your losses could be catastrophic.
    I second WailukuHeights. I'm an insurance coverage attorney and although I have not reviewed a baseball league's insurance policy, there very well could be provisions requiring that the league follow certain rules about equipment. Defending a personal injury lawsuit could cost the league between $35,000 to hundreds of thousands depending upon the extent of the injury, etc. That does not include any settlement/judgment payment. Just my two cents.

Leave a comment:

• jamzg5
    replied
    Originally posted by mattun View Post
    Note to condone that sort of thing, but we really need somebody to roll a couple of the composites and see if they actually heat up.
    Frankly this is what I'm surprised no one has done. Rollers have no real incentive to doing this though since what would happen if there is no improvement. No business.

Leave a comment:

• steven-sq
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Where have you seen about the denting issue? I'm interested in this, as I kinda assumed the 5150 was going to be a really popular seller (just enough technology to make it not a joke, but affordable enough for the masses).
    I had the review mixed I was looking at Dicks and did not notice the year on the bat. I had searched for the model.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...515011258tbbbb

The denting reviews were applying to the 2017 model. Hopefully this 2018 is better.

Leave a comment:

• mattun
    replied
    Note to condone that sort of thing, but we really need somebody to roll a couple of the composites and see if they actually heat up.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X