No announcement yet.

Complete list of USAbat bats, including MSRP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can understand using the Ghost in the spring when you might not have other options, but in an unsanctioned December tournament that allows 1.15 USSSA bats? Sheesh. That's literally a waste of money.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonGuy View Post
      I can understand using the Ghost in the spring when you might not have other options, but in an unsanctioned December tournament that allows 1.15 USSSA bats? Sheesh. That's literally a waste of money.
      You do realize that it's possible his family could only afford one bat so they purchased the bat that could be used in all games? Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a bat for every situation.

However, I will grant you that other players on the team likely do have 1.15 USSSA bats that they could (or should) have let him borrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
        Riot, in our area you CAN use a t-ball bat for U7/U8, but no one does. Using a t-ball bat to hit a real ball seems to me a good way to dent the heck out of the bat. And while that might not matter (done with it at that point anyway), the ball won't go anywhere either. Those bats just aren't designed to hit anything other than those bouncy t-balls.
        All of the tee ball bats I have ever seen say, "only for use with tee balls," including the new USA Bat models. Presumably, a tee ball bat will dent or break eventually if one tried to hit hard balls with it.

I supposed if your league pitches tee balls or RIF balls you could get away with it, but I still wouldn't be surprised if the bat didn't hold up.

Just Bats has exactly one USA Bat labeled "Coach Pitch" and it's -10.

https://www.justbats.com/products/ap...coach%20pitch/
        I can't recall ever seeing a disclaimer like that on a t-ball bat. I'll double check the ones I have though because I could be wrong. I do know that t-ball bats are more easily dented, but I've yet to see a 7u or 8u player will enough power do that. If they were strong enough, then they had already moved on to regular bats. The only warning I've ever seen regarding denting t-ball bats was for adults or adolescents to not use them.

Our local league is machine pitch (trialed coach pitch this past fall) and uses regular balls for 7u/8u. I've seen many kids with hard hits to the outfield with what I though were t-ball bats. I've gone back and forth about responding to this because it is possible some of these kids were using smaller regular bats that I've confused with larger t-ball bats. I'll have to double check with some coaches to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by mdgaw1988 View Post

New Louisville Slugger Omaha is supposed to arrive later this week. My son excited to try out. He's got the old non-USA Bat model, too (same length/weight), so will be a good comparison. Will report back.
          So, the Omaha 518 (31 inch/21 ounce) sounds different than the Omaha 516 (31 inch/21 ounce). It's quieter. But performance-wise, I didn't notice much difference. I threw my son a bucket of balls with both bats. With the 518 or the 516, when the ball hit hard, the ball flew far.

Comment

Originally posted by riot View Post

You do realize that it's possible his family could only afford one bat so they purchased the bat that could be used in all games? Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a bat for every situation.

However, I will grant you that other players on the team likely do have 1.15 USSSA bats that they could (or should) have let him borrow.
            Yes, I do realize that and I'm sorry if that came across wrong or as being insensitive.

It's moreso the point about borrowing a bat from someone else if necessary. Not so much that the kid should own multiple bats, just the wisdom of using a USA Bat with less pop when he doesn't have to.
            Last edited by CrimsonGuy; 12-04-2017, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Maybe they figured Fall Ball doesn't matter and they were trying to break in the shiny new bat... or maybe the Ghost was shaved.

Comment

FWIW, we've decided to roll with the Rawlings 5150 -11 in 30/19 for both boys. I am going to keep the 30/19 Solo and 30/20 Quattro, just in case they decide they want to mix it up in the spring, and also all of the -12's, and I'll sell the rest on eBay.

I did not expect after spending almost $3,000 to actually try all the new USA bats that we would end up with a $99 aluminum bat, but after trying them all it ended up as the best.

Take this for what it's worth, but I have heard stories from two different people now talking to sales reps from two different manufacturers who have both said that the new bats are "junk". One was an Easton rep who said that "the only reason people are buying the ghost is because it's expensive", which is consistent with my experience. I just don't see an advantage that justifies the cost (excluding the Quattro), especially considering that the expensive bats actually underperformed the aluminum ones in my experience.

Comment

FWIW, we've decided to roll with the Rawlings 5150 -11 in 30/19 for both boys. I am going to keep the 30/19 Solo and 30/20 Quattro, just in case they decide they want to mix it up in the spring, and also all of the -12's, and I'll sell the rest on eBay.

I did not expect after spending almost $3,000 to actually try all the new USA bats that we would end up with a $99 aluminum bat, but after trying them all it ended up as the best.

Take this for what it's worth, but I have heard stories from two different people now talking to sales reps from two different manufacturers who have both said that the new bats are "junk". One was an Easton rep who said that "the only reason people are buying the ghost is because it's expensive", which is consistent with my experience. I just don't see an advantage that justifies the cost (excluding the Quattro), especially considering that the expensive bats actually underperformed the aluminum ones in my experience.

Wow - thanks a ton for sharing. Spending $3000 and doing all that testing must have been quite a chore and I sincerely appreciate your doing this and then taking the time to share the information with us.

I'm not shocked that many of the expensive composite bats are no better than aluminum, and in many cases worse. I suspect this means that when Baden finally comes out with their lighter Axe USAbat models, they will have a big advantage. In my (extensive) testing of Axe bats over the last few years, I have been ever more impressed with their single-piece aluminum bats, especially the drop 10 models they had in 2017. I think at this point it's hard to point to a single piece aluminum bat (for youth) that is better than Axe.

If it turns out that all composite bats are like the ones you tested, then I suspect Axe bats are going to become a lot more popular in rec leagues over the next few years.
                  Last edited by JoeG; 12-14-2017, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I have a single use $25 off $100 coupon at Hibbett I don't think I'm going to use. They have the Rawlings 5150 USA -11 in 30 and 29 for $99.99 (so you'd need to add something to get it over $100 unfortunately). I added the coupon to my cart, but I THINK I can still give it out because I didn't actually place an order.

Comment

CrimsonGuy, did any of the composites receive substantial swings (like more than 500)? I'm curious if they stay dead like BBCor or eventually heat up. Like my kid is done with Little League, but if I was in your boat I would have been in the cage taking swings with him trying to get the stupid logs to wake up.

Comment

I thought the same thing, Matt. I heard somewhere that the Beast (of which CrimsonGuy was not a fan) was out-testing the Ghost out of the wrapper. But that's kinda a duh statement given that one is alloy barrel and one is composite. My first thought when I heard that was that they should be testing an out-of-the-wrapper Beast against a 300-hits Ghost. Might be a more apples-to-apples comparison of the two bats when they're at their peak performance.

Comment

I can't for the life of me find it, but I recently watched one of those bat review videos by the Justbats guy. In a thoroughly unscientific study, he took his kid to an undersized field and staged a HR derby battle between the Ghost and the Rawlings Velo. The Ghost won the derby by a few HRs. It outperformed the alloy bat (in the hands of this particular kid), but it didn't far outperform the alloy bat. He asked the kid at the end which one felt better, and the kid said he preferred the two-piece feel (a personal preference no doubt). All of that said, I keep hearing that that these high end composites (Ghost, Quattro, etc.) are dead. I'm not sure that's true. I think what might be truer is that their performance doesn't far outshine the alloy products. So, if price is an issue, one of the alloy products (5150, Velo, 750c, etc.) will probably get the job done. But if someone is willing to shell out for the composite (and, as Matt said above, break it in), I suspect it will perform a tad better than the alloys. I've seen a handful of scientific and non-scientific reviews that suggest as much. If "a tad" isn't worth the money, fair enough. That's an individual's decision. But I think all the talk of "dead composites" is merely a hangover from what we were accustomed to seeing composites do in years past. That's just my two cents from what I've seen so far. But admittedly, I haven't swung any of them yet, so CrimsonGuy's opinion is likely more weighty than mine at this point. Although, he did say (bolded in red) that his kids actually hit pretty well with the Ghost and Quattro.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                            https://youtu.be/Heo4pMaxW-w

https://youtu.be/RM_rlLhJlYg

Last edited by WailukuHeights; 12-06-2017, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Yup--thanks Wailuku. Those were the vids I saw. It was one of those things where I clicked from one thing to the next to the next to the next until I was kinda lost as to how I found them in the first place. Thanks for providing the reference for my ramblings. : )

Comment

I have a few random thoughts on the USA Bats:

- It seems that the bigger the $, the bigger the sweet spot on the barrel. Will that translate into performance? No idea. But it, in theory, will reduce the # of mishits off the "handle" if more of the handle is actually barrel.

- My sense is that players should swing as HEAVY of a USA Bat as they can handle. If all the bats lack "pop", it seems like adding weight to the equation is beneficial. For example, I see lots of players buying -11 bats thinking that the bat speed will be beneficial, but my unscientific intuition is that the lighter the USA Bat, the worse it will perform (all things being equal). If that same player can handle swinging a -8, I have to believe that would generate more deep balls than the lighter one. One bat rep told me, the lighter the USA bat, the more it will perform like a wet noodle. YMMV.

- Going into the bat buying process I had no idea how "individual" the composite vs. alloy decision is. Both my boys have been swinging composites for the past couple of seasons, so when they went to a USA bat "demo day", they said they did not like how the allow bats felt. At two different ages, they each hit most bats available at their drop. My 12u swung -10s and -8s and my 14u swing -5s and BBCOR (BBCOR is not required here until 15u/Freshman ball).

- My 14u landed on the Mizuno Maxcor -5. I am holding out a little hope for this bat given that the Maxcor uses the soft shell concept which remains different than any other bat on the market I believe. When every bat seems to be the same, I'm totally ok with him choosing something that may be a little different. My 12u landed on the Mizuno Ghost -10. He did swing some -8 but liked the feel of the -10 Ghost best. Interesting that both chose a Mizuno (independent of one another) as neither had swung a bat from them before. Note - the bats we ordered haven't yet been delivered so I have no experience with them to share other than that bat demo day. What I will say is that the barrel on both of these bats is huge.

- I have spoken with my contact at the business who hosted the demo day - more than 1000 players hit USA bats that day. I asked him which bats ended up being more popular than others. He said that within each brand, both composites and alloys sold in roughly equal numbers. Here is how he ranked the brands (from most sold to least sold):

- Louisville Slugger
                                - DeMarini
                                - Easton
                                - Mizuno (barely on the radar he said - though from my observation over an hour at the demo day, very few kids even hit the Mizuno bats - I think a general lack of familiarity with the brand as a bat maker kept people away).

He did tell me that for BBCOR bats, the Louisville Slugger Omaha and 917 were the top two selling bats at demo day.

- Finally, my 12u has had an Easton Ghost X -10 for a couple of months now. He is not planning to keep it at this point. He doesn't dislike the feel of it, but he liked the Mizuno Ghost better. He has now hit probably 1000 baseballs with the Ghost X (he uses wood in the cage most of the time) and I have not noticed any increase in "pop" from the typical breaking in of the bat. It could be hotter than out of the wrapper, but not obviously so.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X