Complete list of USAbat bats, including MSRP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattun View Post
    CrimsonGuy, did any of the composites receive substantial swings (like more than 500)? I'm curious if they stay dead like BBCor or eventually heat up. Like my kid is done with Little League, but if I was in your boat I would have been in the cage taking swings with him trying to get the stupid logs to wake up.
    We did not. Primarily because I just didn't want to take the time to do that, but also because Easton says that it's not needed. Even if it does work, I've never seen data that says it's all that big of an improvement, especially considering how damn expensive those things are. But break-in is indeed something to consider if you think it might influence the performance of the bat.

Next fall when all of these new bats are now used and available for resale, my opinion might change, especially if they can be bought more cheaply than the price of brand new. Honestly, my preference has always been to buy used bats. The reason I am testing new bats this winter is because there are no used bats right now and I have no choice but to buy a new bat. That will change next fall.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonGuy View Post

We did not. Primarily because I just didn't want to take the time to do that, but also because Easton says that it's not needed. Even if it does work, I've never seen data that says it's all that big of an improvement, especially considering how damn expensive those things are. But break-in is indeed something to consider if you think it might influence the performance of the bat.

Next fall when all of these new bats are now used and available for resale, my opinion might change, especially if they can be bought more cheaply than the price of brand new. Honestly, my preference has always been to buy used bats. The reason I am testing new bats this winter is because there are no used bats right now and I have no choice but to buy a new bat. That will change next fall.
      There is science about bat break-in:

http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/bats/abi.html

Little league put a temporary ban on composite bats in 2011 for this reason (bat makers were purposely making bats that met the standard when new, but would not meet the BPF 1.15 standard after a few hundred swings). However, for the 2012 season, Little League announced a system for approving composite bats for use:

http://www.littleleague.org/Page58622.aspx

With accelerated break-in testing required since 2012 by Little League, the incentive for bat makers to design bats that improve a great deal with break in was removed. Therefore, since then, the bats have been designed with better durability. Some models may have a small amount of break-in still, but nothing like before 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeG View Post

There is science about bat break-in:

http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/bats/abi.html

Little league put a temporary ban on composite bats in 2011 for this reason (bat makers were purposely making bats that met the standard when new, but would not meet the BPF 1.15 standard after a few hundred swings). However, for the 2012 season, Little League announced a system for approving composite bats for use:

http://www.littleleague.org/Page58622.aspx

With accelerated break-in testing required since 2012 by Little League, the incentive for bat makers to design bats that improve a great deal with break in was removed. Therefore, since then, the bats have been designed with better durability. Some models may have a small amount of break-in still, but nothing like before 2012.

Agreed about the older bats. My kids didn't get into baseball until after the old bats were banned, which is why I said that.

Easton is pretty clear on its website that break-in is not required now, so whether I swung the new bats enough times isn't as germane as it probably used to be.

There is a website you can find one google that says that they broke in a Quatro with 250 swings and got an extra five feet. But that was just one bat, not a population of similar bats.
        Last edited by CrimsonGuy; 12-07-2017, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I don't know what bats your kids are swinging, but I bought used bats primarily to have them already broken in. My son never received so much crap from Mom than we he started swinging an out of the wrapper 2015 Mako and she was begging him to go back to his old bat because it wasn't hitting as far. But he stubbornly stuck with it and after six or seven games it was hitting as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonGuy View Post
            The two -12 models are 2 1/4 one piece aluminum bats (Easton s450 and Eason Beast Hyperlite). The only difference we could find from older bats is that the sweet spot (and barrel) is slightly smaller. Otherwise if you catch the ball on the barrel it sounds and feels like just another aluminum bat.I think these are going to be very popular bats come January and have actually purchased the s450 in all lengths from 28 to 32 just so that I'll have them for my rec team to use. (I always tell my parents at the start of the season that it's a good idea to never take the new bats out of the wrapper until they show the bat to me first, because I refuse to let kids use bats that are too big. Even if it's "their" shiny new bat, they can use one of my lighter bats instead.)
            This thread is fantastic. By chance did you ever get to review the Ghost X Hyperlite? Would love to hear your thoughts as I have just purchased one for my 9 year old. It's too cold around here to be hitting outdoors and have only tested indoors, I couldn't quite evaluate.

When I bought it my gut was telling me to go alloy over composite. It seems from reading the end of this thread I should've listened to my gut.
            Last edited by Vincent_Diesel; 12-11-2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Have only seen broken Eastons so far, but I'm sure there are many more sold. Anybody else see some broken USAs?

Around here, the Rawlings 5150 is the most popular < $100
              Slugger 618 seems to be the most popular $100 < $200
              Rawlings Quatro is the most popular $200 < $300

There are a handful of Easton Beasts and Ghosts, but not that many. Few of my son's teammates picked up the DSB USAs, have not hit them yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by WailukuHeights View Post
                Have only seen broken Eastons so far, but I'm sure there are many more sold. Anybody else see some broken USAs?

Around here, the Rawlings 5150 is the most popular < $100
                Slugger 618 seems to be the most popular $100 < $200
                Rawlings Quatro is the most popular $200 < $300

There are a handful of Easton Beasts and Ghosts, but not that many. Few of my son's teammates picked up the DSB USAs, have not hit them yet though.

What do you mean by "broken" ? What is DSB?

Comment

DSB = Dirty South Bat, I'm pretty sure.

Comment

Sorry, as the bats are, apparently so were my links. They showed up for a few mins then disappeared. Rehosted the pictures below.

DSB = Dirty South Bats (bat company based out of Georgia)

Comment

Thanks for posting the picture - that is crazy that a USAbat can break so easily. Making them to have less pop should in theory allow engineers to design them to be more durable.

Comment

WOW! That's... interesting. Top one is Hyperlite, so that's $250. Bottom one is either $250 or $350. Damn!

Comment

Thanks for posting the picture - that is crazy that a USAbat can break so easily. Making them to have less pop should in theory allow engineers to design them to be more durable.
                          Apparently, they redistributed the thicker walls from the handle. My experience has been the bats that fail REALLY early were just flawed individual bats. You've got to at least put a couple hundred swings on a bat until you know you don't have a lemon out of the wrapper. Bat companies often don't count it against your warranty if it busts on your first or second round of BP.

Comment

What anyone with half a brain could have predicted: Sales of baseball bats grow double digits https://www.lifepulsehealth.com/diet...pd-group/28836

Comment

Yeah, now it'll be interesting to see what percentage quits baseball because either the kid hates it (balls not flying) or the parents are bitter (buying a crappy $400 Log).

Comment

Originally posted by mattun View Post
                                Yeah, now it'll be interesting to see what percentage quits baseball because either the kid hates it (balls not flying) or the parents are bitter (buying a crappy $400 Log).
                                I've never seen a kid quit baseball because their hits didn't got to the fence much. Have you?

I see kids quit when they strike out for over half their at bats. Reduction in bat pop won't impact strikeout rates.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X