Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

~Lets talk curve balls~(From hitters mind)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~Lets talk curve balls~(From hitters mind)

What do you do with a curveball when you have a:
    0-0 Count-
    0-1 Count-
    0-2 Count-
    1-0 Count-
    1-1 Count-
    1-2 Count-
    2-0 Count-
    2-1 Count-
    2-2 Count-
    3-0 Count-
    3-1 Count-
    3-2 Count-

PLEASE don't give me the "it depends on the situation". Just imagine theres no situational hitting invloved at this point in the game. You go up there no one on, no one out, and not much pressure on you. Give me and IDEA of what do do on all 12 count situations when you recieve a curveball.

I can sum it all up with "Depends on the location.". I'll go where the ball is pitched. Since you nixed the other part of the equation that's about all I can give.

Comment

Originally posted by SluggerCF91
      0-0 Count-
      0-1 Count-
      0-2 Count-
      1-0 Count-
      1-1 Count-
      1-2 Count-
      2-0 Count-
      2-1 Count-
      2-2 Count-
      3-0 Count-
      3-1 Count-
      3-2 Count-

PLEASE don't give me the "it depends on the situation". Just imagine theres no situational hitting invloved at this point in the game. You go up there no one on, no one out, and not much pressure on you. Give me and IDEA of what do do on all 12 count situations when you recieve a curveball.

0-0 Count- I would take this curveball. Unless he's started me out with curveballs in the first two AB, and it was my third AB. Then, if he starts me off with it again, as just a "get me over" curve, I hammer it.

0-1 Count- Depends on the location, what that first pitch was, and the game situation. You seem to just want answers, so I'll save all the "what ifs" and say "take" if it starts toward the middle of the plate, and hammer hit if it starts middle in.

0-2 Count- Obviously take unless it's a strike, but with two strikes this pitch will most likely get fouled off, depending on the location.

1-0 Count- Again, depends on a lot of stuff. Sittin dead red here though, and taking.

1-1 Count- If it's hung, hammer

1-2 Count- Similar to 0-2

2-0 Count- No reason to bother. If he's got that much confidence in his curve, and he makes a good pitch with it, just tip your cap and you've now got yourself a 2-1 count.

2-1 Count- Take unless hung

2-2 Count- This is a tricky count, especially against a pitcher who has a ton of confidence in his curve.

3-0 Count- Take

3-1 Count- Take unless hung

3-2 Hit it where it's pitched, don't try to do too much. If he located perfectly, foul it off, and hope he eventually makes a mistake.

Just quick thoughts of the top of my head, not sure if that's what you are looking for. Why do you ask about this anyway?
      Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 02-17-2006, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I really do thiink 'it depends' .....we've all faced pitchers before that had such nasty 'heat' that throwing you a curve ball is a favor ..... in that case , if it's a strike that is in a decent location , you have to be swinging ,,, ( in my opinion ) ...

Comment

I think Sulton's response is more what he is looking for but it would be great to know more about the 'why' of the question.

Comment

Question: How do you hit a curve ball?
            Answer: Don't miss the fast ball!
            You don't hit a good curve ball; you only hit the mistakes. A good curve ball never crosses you in the strike zone.
            If you're a good hitter you can usually foul off the good curve balls until the pitcher throws his heat out of frustration.
            As far as what to do on certain counts? Part of the question is goofy because if you're ahead in the count, you don't swing at the curve ball. If you're behind, you do your best to make contact if it stays in the zone.
            Stay balanced and practice waiting on the pitches so that you can offer at it as late as possible. If you don't know the pitcher then you certainly won't know how his curve moves so your best shot is to go with the answer at the top of this note.
            Baseball Drills

Comment

Thank you everyone, especially sultan. That was exactly what I was looking for, thx so much for going out of your way to answer my question.

Comment

0-0 Count- Take a pitch no matter what it is.
                0-1 Count- If he threw me a fastball on strike 1...then I swing if its a fastball ONLY
                0-2 Count- I CHOKE the bat and take a quicker step....really just...If you see it swing at it......I'd look curveball or off-speed pitch.
                1-0 Count- Take no matter what.
                1-1 Count- Swing if its a fastball.
                1-2 Count- Look Curveball....swing if in your zone.
                2-0 Count- Take no matter
                2-1 Count- Definately look fastball.
                2-2 Count- Try to be more selective...If i strike out looking owell.
                3-0 Count- Take...unless need a HR
                3-1 Count- Look fastball and kill it.
                3-2 Count- REALLy selective...but ready to swing.
                Really just make an visualize an imaginary box and if it lands in there swing away.
                "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

Thank you everyone, especially sultan. That was exactly what I was looking for, thx so much for going out of your way to answer my question.
                  No prob. Just wish you explained why you started this thread, lol. Were you having troubles with decision making or something?

Comment

I started this just to learn from other peoples points of view of what to do with a curveball, ive heard "dont swing at one unless theres 2 strikes" and "if its in the zone, swing away". So i was stuck in the middle, but now I have an idea of what to do, or a "plan"

Comment

I started this just to learn from other peoples points of view of what to do with a curveball, ive heard "dont swing at one unless theres 2 strikes" and "if its in the zone, swing away". So i was stuck in the middle, but now I have an idea of what to do, or a "plan"
                      Fair enough. Hopefully some of this helped. Keep in mind that a lot of it depends on what type of pitcher you're facing, what type of curveball he throws, how often he throws it, and how much confidence he has in throwing it on "fastball counts." Depending on what level you're at, most pitchers fall into a pattern with their curveball. Remember that if it starts in the zone, it's generally not goint to be a strike. Just know yourself as a hitter and don't help him out.

Comment

from another perspective , im a pitcher and use one of my 2 curves more than my fastballs , im confident in my curves ad have a get mer over" and a few nasty ones that are meant to not be touched , the other night i threw 106 pitches and 68 curves.....

Comment

What should I be doing differently to foul a ball off?

Comment

I think a lot also has to do with what type of hitter you are. Are you a see it and hit it guy or do you look for a certain pitch in a certain count based on past experiences with said pitcher or team? I think your approach has as much to do with it as does the count. Some people call this guess hitting. And for some people it is. I think of it more as an educated guess. Some pitchers (and/or catchers) are really easy to predict. Obviously (depending on how hard the pitcher is throwing), you can't sit curveball or off speed with 2 strikes. So, without any situational hitting to take into account, the count means little unless you have 2 strikes. Just my 2cents.
                            Baseball-Catcher.com

Comment

0-0 Count-
                              0-1 Count-
                              0-2 Count-
                              1-0 Count-
                              1-1 Count-
                              1-2 Count-
                              2-0 Count-
                              2-1 Count-
                              2-2 Count-
                              3-0 Count-
                              3-1 Count-
                              3-2 Count-

Well being a pitcher I usually don't throw a curve when I'm behind 2-0, 3-0, or 3-1 because its not my bread and butter and I'm in need of a strike so I don't walk the batter or get into an even deeper hole.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X