Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollowbox
    replied
    I was watching a Pirates/Reds game the other week and they had a segment about Aristides Aquino using the line drive pro and he credited it with helping him.

Leave a comment:

• omg
    replied
    Originally posted by dominik View Post
    ... "library" .....

btw with my kids I have started to use movements I want them to learn later for the swing in warm up gymnastics without telling them it is baseball specific. Hope that will help them to pick the new movements easier in a baseball context
    Yeah, one reason why kids from Fla. are often more advanced is not just because of the weather but because they can hang out at the spring training sites and pick up the moves by osmosis. Ditto Dominican Republic. Copy and model. A thousand pictures is worth more than one word.

Also, the idea of using warmup moves that are baseball specific is great. Why do shuffles, for example, when you could be killing two birds with one stone and practice the delayed steal? Why not get them in the fielding position as a stretch? Why not do all of the baseball legwork but slowly? And so forth.

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    replied
    Sure there are guys who do things naturally. There is no 100% "natural" swing and everyone is taught but some of the underlying movements are already there for some athletes after one or two tries while others need intense drilling for every small sub move.

In the end it only matters whether you can do it no matter where it is learned.btw even many of the so called natural moves might have been learned subconsciously while climbing trees, fighting the brother, playing the playground or doing another sport.

that is why acquiring a rich "library" of movements as a kid is valuable, it makes you learn so much faster.

btw with my kids I have started to use movements I want them to learn later for the swing in warm up gymnastics without telling them it is baseball specific. Hope that will help them to pick the new movements easier in a baseball context

Leave a comment:

• omg
    replied
    Originally posted by dominik View Post

I think this problem often occurs when coaches want to teach upward bat path but still teach the old school extend the knob kind of swing. I think that is a problem with some of the new coaches. The first generation of the Internet analysis community thought a lot about body positions, tilt, connection, turn the barrel...

now Many just focus on bat path and launch angle without worrying on how to get there. Result is often a swing that works only very far out front because you first extend the knob down and then pull up.

I think bat path and launch angle is helpful but you can take the self correction thing too far. There was a pretty heated argument about this on Twitter (I think between baseball rebellion and driveline) but I think there is a place for both. Sometimes just checking for launch angle and self correcting to get there can work but sometimes a mix from rudimentary traditional cues and result feedback isn't enough and you actually need to teach some movements.
    All true, dominik. You and skipper5 always hit the head on the nail, or at least the way I see it. But what do we know. Anyways, who's to say that a guy will not keep the hands inside and the path up without any freakin' instruction whatsoever. Plenty of guys do or did before everyone got 9 zillion lessons. What would cause a kid -absent instruction- to caste or hit too far out front is getting pull happy or power happy- they try to repeat that long pulled double or hr and start getting around the ball. So that's mental and that's discipline. Fear also factors in a lot-leaking away from the ball. Again, mental. But the natural swing is inside and slightly up if the goal- the end result- is line drives to all fields. Like Henry Aaron said: "Instruction? I thought that was for white boys."

George Brett, the last guy I think to hit .390 and with power, always gave Charlie Lau tons of credit. So Brett was thinking down, he was thinking lead arm extension, he was thinking front leg. But you know he seemed to have no trouble hitting a ton of moon shots (see Gossage, Goose). Now if he had beat a ton of weak topped balls to the pitcher or first baseman do you not think he would have made some natural adjustments? Anyone with an IQ over 70 and under 140 would if they wanted some results. And you go by the results you get.

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    replied
    Originally posted by omg View Post
    One of the things though, I've seen with hands inside the ball drills or devices, like that ball on a stick thing, is that kids get awful pushy. They are taught the upswing and the hands inside swing and they end up with some weird, contrived deal.

It's a spoonful of sugar, not the whole jar.
    I think this problem often occurs when coaches want to teach upward bat path but still teach the old school extend the knob kind of swing. I think that is a problem with some of the new coaches. The first generation of the Internet analysis community thought a lot about body positions, tilt, connection, turn the barrel...

now Many just focus on bat path and launch angle without worrying on how to get there. Result is often a swing that works only very far out front because you first extend the knob down and then pull up.

I think bat path and launch angle is helpful but you can take the self correction thing too far. There was a pretty heated argument about this on Twitter (I think between baseball rebellion and driveline) but I think there is a place for both. Sometimes just checking for launch angle and self correcting to get there can work but sometimes a mix from rudimentary traditional cues and result feedback isn't enough and you actually need to teach some movements.

Leave a comment:

• omg
    replied
    One of the things though, I've seen with hands inside the ball drills or devices, like that ball on a stick thing, is that kids get awful pushy. They are taught the upswing and the hands inside swing and they end up with some weird, contrived deal.

It's a spoonful of sugar, not the whole jar.

Leave a comment:

• omg
    replied
    Originally posted by songtitle View Post
    $50 for a little piece of plastic that holds a ball??? I don't understand the purpose of it.
    Fifty dollars? Hell, that's nothing to most baseball folks. Plus, it will fit in the darn stocking. And, you can take swings in the back yard and have the dog chase it. Good marketing.

Leave a comment:

• omg
    replied
    Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
    I think this device might help batters who cut their swing off. In other words, batters who are short-to and short-thru the ball, instead of short-to and long-thru.

There was a thread here a while back which suggested that one way to cure "short-thru" was to have batters swing and release the bat after it passes through the contact zone, with the goal being that the bat would be flung back toward the L-screen. I disagreed because it seemed that it couldn't be practiced enough times to alter muscle memory.

But I think this device could provide a practical way of getting a lot of reps at being "long-thru"--by flinging a tennis back up the center of the field instead of flinging a bat.
    That bat flinging was a drill a really good coach told me to do. Just take a bunch of old bats out in the outfield and fling them. I think the idea was to promote aggressiveness and "looseness". Yeager has said the swing is a "throw"; TW said a "push" but these days there is less of "throw the barrel" or "throw the hands"- even to the point where these are thought to be "wrong". I always interpreted "short" as being a hands inside the ball swing. Being "short" killed several stones with one bird: a) if you got a crappy swing then short means less crappy b) pitching is tough to see and hit 3) solid is hard and/or far.

Leave a comment:

• skipper5
    replied
    I think this device might help batters who cut their swing off. In other words, batters who are short-to and short-thru the ball, instead of short-to and long-thru.

There was a thread here a while back which suggested that one way to cure "short-thru" was to have batters swing and release the bat after it passes through the contact zone, with the goal being that the bat would be flung back toward the L-screen. I disagreed because it seemed that it couldn't be practiced enough times to alter muscle memory.

But I think this device could provide a practical way of getting a lot of reps at being "long-thru"--by flinging a tennis back up the center of the field instead of flinging a bat.

Leave a comment:

• omg
    replied
    I think it's a hands inside the ball, anti-rollover/casting, "through" the ball thing. Target hitting (in this case slinging) is always a good notion. So if kids like it.....as the others say you can rig something. Different drills work for different folks. Not sure what the principles are in lacrosse but maybe the notions are similar.

Leave a comment:

• bluedawg
    replied
    kids are pretty adept at finding all sorts of ways to get the "correct outcome" without mechanics that are actually useful to hitting a pitched ball. We just set a goal in the cage or on the field with BP -regardless of skill level, groundballs and flyballs 45+ degrees are outs. Can make it a competition. In the cage, you could rig some rope or something as a visual cue for the launch angle you're after. Otherwise just tell the kids to aim to hit you in the face.

Leave a comment:

• Forum_jedi
    replied
    Originally posted by SBPop View Post
    I don’t disagree that the pricing seems a little out of whack. I was more interested on thoughts regarding whether or not this approach could be helpful in teaching bat/barrel path ... i.e., whether or not the “feel” it reinforces is correct/helpful for younger hitters (12yrs old and below).
    You can get the same "feel" using a $10 "chuck it" from a pet store or Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• SBPop
    replied
    I don’t disagree that the pricing seems a little out of whack. I was more interested on thoughts regarding whether or not this approach could be helpful in teaching bat/barrel path ... i.e., whether or not the “feel” it reinforces is correct/helpful for younger hitters (12yrs old and below).

Leave a comment:

• Larry
    replied
    Originally posted by Colonel21 View Post
    Saw a softball team using this the other night during our batting practice indoors. They had a BowNet set up and they were trying to fling the tennis balls into the sock portion of the net from about 30 feet away.
    Are you sure you weren't just watching a lacrosse game?

Leave a comment:

• Colonel21
    replied
    Saw a softball team using this the other night during our batting practice indoors. They had a BowNet set up and they were trying to fling the tennis balls into the sock portion of the net from about 30 feet away.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X