No announcement yet.

From AC to just another dad....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasnt eligible to officially coach all-stars. I coached a travel team concurrently with the LL season in a Sunday DH league. It was essentially the all-star roster. I coached all stsr outfielders in practice. But inwas not eligible to be in the dugout.

In my son’s first all star at bat he starts waving his bat like Gary Sheffield. Out loud to myself in the stands i asked, “what the hell is that?” He drove a one hopper to the fence for a double. He did it again the next at bat. I muttered again. He hit a triple off the fence in the corner. The next time up a dad asked if i wanted him to yell anything to my son. I laughed and said, “Go Sheffield!”

The moral of the story ... Dont interfere with the coach. Enjoy the game.

Comment

Managed my son's teams through 12U, both rec and travel, until I accepted the fact that it was harmful to both our relationship and his baseball development. So we moved on - to another reputable travel organization, with coaches of different styles and personalities - much of what he'll experience in HS baseball and life. And yes, I'm still smarter than everyone else, and yes, my baseball moves would have been better, but I've forced myself to keep quiet both at games and at home, and he's flourishing and I'm enjoying myself, too. No more fretting about lineups, practices, strategies, tournaments, uniforms, playing time, rosters, losing friends, etc. - in this case, there's advantages to just being a dad.

Comment

I would categorize myself as an "analytical blabber" in the stands... If I'm sitting with my oldest son, we enjoy quietly observing, discussing and criticizing, both at youth and pro games. When I get vocal, I try to be positive though...

I have also started complaining a bit about balls and strikes... I used to think that was a real no-no, but now I think a "cmon blue" here or there isn't a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
          All I'll say is I sucked at it. I'm still in the dugout for baseball, but when I made the transition to "regular ol' dad" for soccer, I couldn't stop myself from coaching from the sidelines. Like, I was big time annoying (and even I noticed it). But I couldn't stop myself. It really took a lot of practice and training to view the game differently from the other sideline. Aside from just coaching from the stands, I also struggled with the idea that, as a dad, you end up laser focusing on your own kid and EVERY move he makes. As a coach, you're concerned with 11 other kids, so you don't have time to micro-analyze your own. But as sideline dad, you'll have to struggle to resist the micro-analyzing. As I said. I suck at "sideline dad."
          I hate soccer, and this became me with my daughter. There's SO much constant action, and with the laser-focus on my daughter, I ended up yelling instructions the entire game from the sideline. I suck.

Comment

My spouse will sometimes yell out incorrect instructions during the game. "Throw it to third!" kind of stuff. Ugh.

I don't yell instructions...

Comment

Originally posted by bbrages View Post
              My spouse will sometimes yell out incorrect instructions during the game. "Throw it to third!" kind of stuff. Ugh.

I don't yell instructions...
              I overheard my son (8U) have a heated conversation with his teammate:
              Son: Why did you throw it to third?
              Kid: Everyone in the stands was yelling 3, 3!
              Son: Never listen to anyone in the stands......well unless they are right then you can listen to them.
              Kid: blank look on his face.
              Me: Walking away and let them figure this out.

Comment

Originally posted by songtitle View Post
                Only say the following phrases 'good job', 'good play', 'good hit','good pitch', 'good game'. There's not much reason to say anything else while watching a game.
                Best advice.

Just to add: Be glad you're at the ball game. If you're a spectator, realize the outcome doesn't matter to you and I'm sorry if you think otherwise -you're not a coach nor a player. Sit in the stands and enjoy. Walk the sidelines if you need to stretch or picked up some bacon ranch seeds and don't want to spit at people. That's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by bbrages View Post
                  I would categorize myself as an "analytical blabber" in the stands... If I'm sitting with my oldest son, we enjoy quietly observing, discussing and criticizing, both at youth and pro games. When I get vocal, I try to be positive though...

I have also started complaining a bit about balls and strikes... I used to think that was a real no-no, but now I think a "cmon blue" here or there isn't a big deal.
                  Ok - I'll bite. What is the goal of the "cmon blue!"? Are you just trying to let him know he missed one? To what end? Trying to influence the next call? Just reminding him to work hard? Just letting off steam?

I totally understand the urge to voice disapproval to officials and I've been guilty of it myself. But afterwards I always wonder what I was trying to accomplish? I never have a good answer, so I have come to the conclusion I should just keep quiet (I'm an AC and Director of our Travel program).

My coaching years are nearly behind me and I'm guessing I'll be one of the Dads way down the OF fence because I have no interest in all the parental talk during games. I just want to watch, quietly process what I'm seeing and hopefully enjoy watching my kid(s) play. I'm not a rager - but watching by myself is probably the best method of keeping it that way. lol

Comment

Pretty much what Song said. I was more vocal (in a positive way) in earlier years, but I've grown to pretty much dead silence unless there's a big situational hit or K, etc.

At a game with our biggest rival this year, my son was the starter. Their starter was a kid that my son has played with for years. His dad and I stood side by side for the whole game talking. I'll bet if you didn't know us, you wouldn't have known our sons were playing, much less pitching. We had made the prediction 4-5 years earlier that at some point they'd be squared off against each other on the mound in HS, and here they were. Happened to be my son's only loss on the mound this season, and it was ok.

Pretty much, just enjoy the game, let the kids compete, and let what's going to happen happen, it's all going to be ok, I promise.
                    Ty Cobb-"Every great batter works on the theory that the pitcher is more afraid of him than he is of the pitcher."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X