Advice from you coaches for this dad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragoncoach View Post

If my son had the lowest batting average on the team - 1) I'd be working with him nonstop and 2) He wouldn't be batting 5th every. single. game.
    How do you know he didn't lead the team in every category last year and is off to a rough start and is totally due? Ultimately, if you don't think you could say that face-to-face with the coach, I'd just assume there's a method to his madness/he deserves to do what he wants since he's spending his time to coach your son/he knows something you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by mattun View Post

How do you know he didn't lead the team in every category last year and is off to a rough start and is totally due? Ultimately, if you don't think you could say that face-to-face with the coach, I'd just assume there's a method to his madness/he deserves to do what he wants since he's spending his time to coach your son/he knows something you don't.
      I'm aware of this and assume this is the case. Personally, I just don't agree with the move/non move - especially after telling the boys he'd bat them according to performance.

Comment

Based on those stats: I'd have your kid at 5th or higher. I think you have a lot of good hitters on the team, but the coach's kid should be batting last.

The biggest issue is that the coach said he'd stack the batting order by performance, but he is clearly not doing it. IMO, you have enough stats there to show it.

I would probably be thinking about finding another team, just because I have a problem with coaches who won't be upfront and honest...

Comment

Stats can go both ways. If you look at the stats the "coaches kid" has 8 more ABs than your son, but has one fewer strike out. The "coaches kid" strikes out once every 4 ABs vs your son once ever 2.8 ABs. The "coaches kid" is putting the ball in play 75% of his ABs, your son 64%. I say all of this to say, stop using stats to determine who should be batting where in the lineup. He might have the lowest batting avg but he is putting the ball in play. Why can't he bat 5th?

I have a kid on my team that is the king of dink and dunk hits. And I have another kid it has been smashing the baseball but it's right at defenders. The dink and dunk kid is batting over .400 but he bats 8th, the other kid that is smashing, but right at people is batting .210 but I still bat him within the top 5
          Last edited by coachrjb; 05-14-2018, 11:57 AM.
          Instagram: gavin_thereal34

Comment

I originally said that there shouldn't be an issue with talking with the coach about it, however, I missed the part where the coach's son was being favored which causes me to retract my statement.

Just accept it or move on.

Comment

Originally posted by coachrjb View Post
              Stats can go both ways. If you look at the stats the "coaches kid" has 8 more ABs than your son, but has one fewer strike out. The "coaches kid" strikes out once every 4 ABs vs your son once ever 2.8 ABs. The "coaches kid" is putting the ball in play 75% of his ABs, your son 64%. I say all of this to say, stop using stats to determine who should be batting where in the lineup. He might have the lowest batting avg but he is putting the ball in play. Why can't he bat 5th?

I have a kid on my team that is the king of dink and dunk hits. And I have another kid it has been smashing the baseball but it's right at defenders. The dink and dunk kid is batting over .400 but he bats 8th, the other kid that is smashing, but right at people is batting .210 but I still bat him within the top 5
              Stats don't tell the whole story I agree.

The coaches kid is putting the ball into play, but he's swinging off his front foot - all arms and slapping weak grounders. (note - coach and his son stayed after practice to work on hitting Thurs - my son stayed too. This weekend he looked like he found some of his old groove - he mixed in a couple solid line drives - AND I might have been his loudest cheerleader. The kid was in a slump that the entire team/crowd had noticed - so we were all excited that he came out of it some.)

When my son puts the ball into play, he's been crushing it. I don't remember any of his XBHs not going over the outfielder's heads. He's turning heads on the team - I'm just still curious what HC sees or doesn't see. (as I re-read this I do remember one not going over their head, he scorched a line drive that the CF couldn't reach and bounced past him to the fence)

Last fall (this same team) my son was the last on the team to strikeout. He was so focused on not striking out, that he was putting the ball weakly into play way too often. We worked on this. I actually told him I'd like to see him strikeout more - explaining to him that I want him to swing with a purpose. 10 of his 13 hits this spring are XBHs.

This weekend he added 4 Ks to his total. He was 5 for 11 with 2 doubles, 2 triples and one dinger. He had 0 singles. He also struck out twice late on Sunday after catching 2 games in a row in the 90 degree heat. He's new to catcher - so I kinda threw those 2 Ks out.

Also, after rereading this, I realize it may not be a big enough sample size. Maybe I let the daddy-bias sneak in a bit - I try really hard to keep that in check.

Comment

Originally posted by coachrjb View Post

Exactly my thought. One kid on middle school leads the team in batting average, but couldn't break a plate glass window with the loopers being hit. Same for pitching. If a kid's facing the weaker teams because he throws strikes isn't the long term solution just based off of ERA. I'm a moneyball guy just like anyone else, but there's the naked eye that tells you a lot as well. My advice is don't foster any whining (don't take it personally) because now, later, HS, etc isn't going to matter what your opinion is and how the stats are interpreted. Those end of night confessionals with wife in bed can lead to conversations made in your kid's presence that can make things even worse. Your kid has to earn it outright and be a no brainer to 11 other kid's parents why he is where he is and hitting where he's hitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking0 View Post
                  Of course, there could be a lot of good reasons to bat a kid later. That is why a kid should simply ask the coach in a respectful manner, just like if you at school and disagreed with a grade, or at the job and disagreed with a promotion. I have had kids ask me why they play in x position or bat in y position. I simply tell them why. If a coach can't handle that, then I think there may be a problem with the coach. Also, as I said, it is not as if the kid is sitting, just batting a little bit later. I would emphasize that to my kid as well. There is a difference between a little and a lot of out of whack. If, in the end, the coach doesn't really have a good reason, have your kid just live with it. None of us will set up a lineup perfectly.
                  Well he can't sit because the team only has 9 healthy players (one is hurt). In the couple of games before he got hurt - he did rotate through the bench with 2 other kids. Last fall they only had 9 players on roster.

Comment

Originally posted by mattun View Post

They only have 3 homers and 4 triples. Clearly the BA argument could be small sample size. There could be emotional snowflakes on the field or in the parents too. Moving one of those core kids down in the lineup could make him an emotional wreck and create a downward spiral that will suck the entire team into chaos and eventual disbandment. Or maybe he's just one of those coaches who doesn't like having three easy outs in a row at the bottom of the lineup and is letting the new kid protect against that rather than messing with his breaking up the roles of his regular players seems like the easier tactic.
                    This is good input. Maybe there is some of this going on.

Comment

Originally posted by jamzg5 View Post

Exactly my thought. One kid on middle school leads the team in batting average, but couldn't break a plate glass window with the loopers being hit. Same for pitching. If a kid's facing the weaker teams because he throws strikes isn't the long term solution just based off of ERA. I'm a moneyball guy just like anyone else, but there's the naked eye that tells you a lot as well. My advice is don't foster any whining (don't take it personally) because now, later, HS, etc isn't going to matter what your opinion is and how the stats are interpreted. Those end of night confessionals with wife in bed can lead to conversations made in your kid's presence that can make things even worse. Your kid has to earn it outright and be a no brainer to 11 other kid's parents why he is where he is and hitting where he's hitting.
                      Appreciate the input - we do our best to not talk about these things in his presence - but we may be able to do a better job at responding to him when he brings it up.

Though he's not the bloop kind of kid. He's crushing the ball. It's pretty obvious from comments we've heard from players / other parents that my son is clearly passing the naked eye test.

Edit: I will heed your advise to not foster any whining for him. I've always been tough on him, but I could improve on how I handle conversations when he mentions his frustration about the batting order.
                      Last edited by dragoncoach; 05-14-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Lil dragon has tons of extra base hits (10 out of 13 this year), coach's kid has zero.

I can put up with dragon's one extra strikeout for his having four more walks than coach's kid... go dragon!

Comment

Maybe it's time to see if the cleanup hitter's dad wants to come along with you to join another team.

Comment

This is good input. Maybe there is some of this going on.
                            He could easily be just worried he'll further depress his kid if he drops him in the lineup. If you like the coach other than the lineup stuff, you might be wary of his kid getting frustrated with baseball and wanting to quit... because there goes your coach too.

Comment

Personally, if the coach is a decent coach, I give them slack on the daddy bias. I don't pretend it's not there (that's harder for me to do), I acknowledge it's there and then accept it. Coach is volunteering 10-15 hrs a week helping a team of players practice, play games and generally develop and have fun. Often coaches spend their own money on top of all that. So at the rate coaches get paid, if they want to bat their kid up a few spots in the lineup, no biggy to me. Granted, it's really painful when you lose games due to it, strand runners etc. but in the end, given what the coach gets paid, you're getting a deal and the problem will go away too when he starts school ball. To be honest though, if I were you I'd want to share/vent with someone as well, because as a coach you always want to strategize to win and it's painful to see coaching decisions that cause you to loose. I'm the same way.
                              Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

I never found the ball - it went deep into the woods unfortunately.
                                Com'on Man! - You gotta go back in those woods and find that ball!

In the second inning - up 1-0, my son jacked a homer so hard that pretty much the entire crowd knew it was gone the moment he hit it.
                                We lost in the championship game. My son was sitting on deck or in the hole when quite a few rallies ended.
                                I will say that I understand the frustration/disappointment of the batting order that you've mentioned in this thread. But if your son was hitting higher in the lineup, would he have had the same opportunity to crush that HR? Hitters gonna hit. No doubt about it. But maybe they would have pitched to him differently, and then he never would have created that HR memory.
                                Keep going strong, and keep being a proud dad.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X