Advice from you coaches for this dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragoncoach View Post

Its 12u. Fully competitive. All tourneys, no league. First tournament, the coach told the boys hed bat them according to their performance. My son feels cheated.
    At the end of the day, be thankful he is in the lineup everyday. Plenty kids that aren't getting that opportunity on teams across the country and may be deserving as well. I agree with what others have said that the position in the order is typically more ego driven.

But if your son truly feels cheated, I think he is old enough to approach the coach about it himself. He may have to be coached by you on how to approach the coach, but I would let him do it on his own. He has to pose his questions correctly and most reasonable coaches will appreciate that the kid was mature enough to come to him on his own and will likely be honest with him. There is a big difference in a coaches ears between "Why am I not batting at the top of the lineup" vs "What can I do further to earn a spot nearer the top of the lineup? You mentioned to the team that the lineup would be based on performance, and I have been working hard to try to earn my way to a higher spot in the order." Keep it positive, keep it team oriented such as "I want to be able to be able to be in position to better help the team win".

Comment

I'm pretty sure the kid asking is way more effective than the dad asking. Way back in 10U kid pitch, a dad had fairly rose colored glasses and had been feeling competitive with my kid since T-ball for whatever reason. So he had his kid go and ask the coach to play both my kid's most common starting position and spot in the order (what a surprise) based on his keen batting eye for walks and desire to get better on defense with more opportunities... uh huh. Maybe it doesn't work as well with a 12 year old on a competitive team as a 9 year old, but the coach told my wife after "What am I gonna do? It's rec and he asked."

Comment

Originally posted by mattun View Post
        I'm pretty sure the kid asking is way more effective than the dad asking. Way back in 10U kid pitch, a dad had fairly rose colored glasses and had been feeling competitive with my kid since T-ball for whatever reason. So he had his kid go and ask the coach to play both my kid's most common starting position and spot in the order (what a surprise) based on his keen batting eye for walks and desire to get better on defense with more opportunities... uh huh. Maybe it doesn't work as well with a 12 year old on a competitive team as a 9 year old, but the coach told my wife after "What am I gonna do? It's rec and he asked."
        Sometimes what the kid wants and what the parents want is completely different. In 12u rec softball I tried to rotate all of our players between infield and outfield. One girl in particular didn't seem to like any of the infield positions, but found a home in center field. She liked it and did well at it. Her mom came to me after one of the games complaining that Veronica wanted to play infield. I knew that wasn't the case. For the next game I started her at 2nd base. After two innings at 2nd base, Veronica requested to go back to center. I asked her to start the next inning at 2nd base and then I would switch her. Our team recorded one out. I walked out of the dugout and said "do you still want to move back to center" loud enough so the parents in the stands could hear me. She replied "yes please". Her mom never complained about it again.
        "Once you stop learning, you start dying" -- Albert Einstein.

Comment

Originally posted by mattun View Post
          Maybe it's time to see if the cleanup hitter's dad wants to come along with you to join another team.
          Reminiscing here... So the coach I described in this is not coaching anymore. After 1.5 seasons of this (fall, spring, fall), we bolted. The team ended up falling apart and the cleanup hitter and leadoff hitter followed us to a different team. All 3 had a blast this year. One of the dads that joined us - most knowledgable baseball dad on the team who usually doesn't say controversial things - has told me and my family and others multiple times that he's surprised we stayed as long as we did.

Comment

Originally posted by dragoncoach View Post

Reminiscing here... So the coach I described in this is not coaching anymore. After 1.5 seasons of this (fall, spring, fall), we bolted. The team ended up falling apart and the cleanup hitter and leadoff hitter followed us to a different team. All 3 had a blast this year. One of the dads that joined us - most knowledgable baseball dad on the team who usually doesn't say controversial things - has told me and my family and others multiple times that he's surprised we stayed as long as we did.
            Glad it worked out for you in the end.

Comment

When they go off to college, they will throw away most of their old trophies and will hardly be able to remember who their coaches and teammates were from youth ball.

Most of the details aren't important at all. Make sure they are learning each year and they are good at some position by the time they reach HS (which probably won't be the position they played in youth).
              efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Originally posted by songtitle View Post
                When they go off to college, they will throw away most of their old trophies and will hardly be able to remember who their coaches and teammates were from youth ball.

Most of the details aren't important at all. Make sure they are learning each year and they are good at some position by the time they reach HS (which probably won't be the position they played in youth).
                Every right hander on my son’s high school varsity started as a rec ball P/SS. Almost every player on his 17u travel team was a P, C, SS, or CF on his high school team.

Comment

Having your kid address those "PT issues" with coach is a great way to get them started on their path to independence. No matter the outcome, he will be a better person for doing it.

Comment

If your kid has the opportunity to play for one team until HS or beyond, that is great. The reality is many kids team hop for a lot of reasons. My 14 yo rising soph son is getting used to the mercernary aspect of summer ball. I told him HS ball you play for the team, summer you will play for exposure. Big difference in approach and attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkny2 View Post
                      If your kid has the opportunity to play for one team until HS or beyond, that is great. The reality is many kids team hop for a lot of reasons. My 14 yo rising soph son is getting used to the mercernary aspect of summer ball. I told him HS ball you play for the team, summer you will play for exposure. Big difference in approach and attitude.
                      Finding 100% TRUTH in all above^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Nice breakdown!!

Comment

The primary reasons players jump teams is overrating their talent, poor choices/lack of investigating team and more affordable. My son played for one program in post 7th, 8th and 9th for high school development and one program post soph and junior year for college exposure.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X