X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• queue
    replied
    What age is this?

My son has been on both sides. He was part of the core group and an outsider. In 10u, our kids were rolling the other teams. I kept a paper book back then and I really didn't track anything. We were all just having fun in rec ball. About 12 game in to the season, one of the other ACs asked me what Joey's average was because he always seemed to be on base. I started to flip back through all of the games and did some quick math. It seems that the kid we had batting 8th was batting .750!!!

Then on the other side, my son was the better catcher on a new team but not one of the core group (friends of the HC son). Despite being offered to be the starting catcher to convince us to go with this team, he ended up only catching 2-3 games. In the final game of a GameDay tournament, my son did great. Going 3-4 with several RBIs and a good performance behind the plate, when the game was over and it cam time to pick the MVP, the coach gave it to his son who went 0-4 with an error at first, an error that ultimately cost us the game. See, his son wanted to play in the gameday MVP tournament and his son was the only one of the friends who hadn't won MVP yet. Needlesstosay, we left that team.

If the team is 13u+, have the kid ask the coach why he hasn't been moved up and what else he needs to do to be moved up. If it is <12u, I don't see a reason why you can't approach the coach and ask as long as you just accept the answer. If you don't like the answer, just move on at the end of the year. There is no reason to rock the boat mid year, just sail along and get off in the next port if needed.

It is a good lesson for kids to learn. Nothing is ever going to be perfect so you have to weigh out the positives vs the negatives and then figure out what to do.

Leave a comment:

• Nib
    replied
    How old are they?

Leave a comment:

• SuicideSqueeze
    replied
    Well...without knowing the ins and outs of each players skill set all we can do is speculate.

But....it could be a speed in front of him issue.
    If 5 is slower....putting your son 7th allows him to hit triples instead of doubles.
    Or
    it could have more to do with 8/9...he may not want to put 6 into 7th in order to avoid an easy 1-2-3 inning if the current 6th is struggling and 8&9 arent so hot either.

You're right though....nothing he can do but keep hitting.

Good luck

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X