X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SouthGaBaseball
    started a topic Best youth glove for 11U player

Best youth glove for 11U player

I know that I have read on here before where others have asked about the best youth catcher mitt but can't seem to find the post now. I know that the All-Star is widely regarded as the best adult glove from reading but can't find the recommendation for best youth glove. Can anyone help me out? Better yet, does anyone have a broken-in catcher's glove that they want to sell?

• flyingmachine3
    replied
    My son was looking like he would be doing more catching this year, so I found him a Wilson A2000 PUDGE A2403 32.5 on Ebay for $100. Just needed a cleaning and its well broken in. He is a smaller 12yo and it fits him quite well.

Leave a comment:

• queue
    replied
    small mitt - fast mitt. A few of our 13u/14u catchers had trouble sticking the pitch with larger heavier gloves that the team supplied. My boy used a 31" through 13u.

He still loves his $60 33" Wilson 6-4-3 (dumbest model name for a catchers mitt ever). It was getting a bit worn out this year so I decided to get him a backup glove to start breaking in. I asked what he wanted to get, expecting him to say, "All-Star" or "A2K." He just said, "I love my glove, get another one." Long discontinued, I found a new one on SideLineSwap for $45. I offered $35 and they accepted. My pocketbook is very happy.

For 11u, just get a mid tier glove as you will probably be replacing it for a full size in a couple of years anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Rocketsan22
    replied
    Almost as important as break-in is mitt size. If they can’t squeeze it, it’s useless. I have a perfect 34” Yadi that my kid can’t even close. Most young bucks should start with an easily manipulatable 31”. Small hands - small mitt.

Leave a comment:

• 2022dad
    replied
    I highly recommend the Akadema mitts. The Torino series is kip leather which is lighter weight. I bought my son a well-used Praying Mantis mitt 3 years ago. He loved it so much I bought him a new one the following Christmas during Akadema's annual sale when they put all gloves on sale for 1/2 price. His new glove has stayed in his bag until last week when the HS coach told him he needed to get it out and break it in.
    Last edited by 2022dad; 05-14-2018, 06:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bbrages
    replied
    I have a "prosoft" Akadema, lots of people like them. I'm not crazy about it.

Leave a comment:

• mattun
    replied
    I thought the Akadema Praying Mantis was a good bang for buck catcher's mitt that broke in pretty fast... but it was the team glove.

Leave a comment:

• bbrages
    replied
    I don't believe there is a consensus on youth MITTS (catchers do not use gloves)... I think the key is a good break in. I'd rather have a kid use a well-broken-in cheapy than a top dollar mitt that isn't broken in, or has been poorly broken in.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X