Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Flush
    replied
    A 14U kid my son played with made the Ohio Valley NTIS. His parents think it is a really big deal. He wasn't be best player on the team, although he is pretty good. He was the only player on the team that tried out.

Leave a comment:

• Bolts-Baseball
    replied
    Originally posted by pthawaii View Post

15u throwing 90+ that's pretty leet. MLB average fastball is 89 to 90. Okay, let me ask you this, given what has been said, if the team is made from other tournaments, and NTIS is an afterthought, does that mean if you are to spend money on a trip and tournament you should stick with PG (if you can compete at that level)?
    Sure, sounds right...

Leave a comment:

• JettSixty
    replied
    Originally posted by pthawaii View Post

15u throwing 90+ that's pretty leet. MLB average fastball is 89 to 90. Okay, let me ask you this, given what has been said, if the team is made from other tournaments, and NTIS is an afterthought, does that mean if you are to spend money on a trip and tournament you should stick with PG (if you can compete at that level)?
    Very few players are discovered at PG. Everyone knows who the top kids are who can pick their college. Most players go to college within a few hundred miles of home. They’re known regionally by the colleges.

Heres a a short version of how it works. A kid makes a list of where he wants to play/thinks he can play. The list is reviewed by the travel coach. If the kid is good he’s on a good travel team with a coach with college contacts. The travel coach calls the college coach and sells the player. The college coach goes to PG and checks out the presold player. My son’s coach presold him to college coaches at two regional events. He was watched at the two events by the six finalists on his list. What PG did was validate even if he wasn’t a top 500 player he belonged on the field with top 500 players.

Sometimes players will draw attention from a college program they didn’t have on their list. It happeneded to my daughter. She was focused on major before softball due to a reasonably unique major many colleges don’t have. Somehow she missed a college that was a top ten in her major. She ended up going there. To be plain discovered the player has to have one or two attention getting skills that place them in the top percentage of those skills. With my kids it was foot speed and arm. Then you have to hit to seal the deal.

College sports are a business ... Of the six finalists on my son’s list (offers were forthcoming) four disappeared when he got injured and had surgery. Two were Ivies. Two others were P5 top academics. When he got injured the coaches were no longer willing to use pull with admissions. They didn’t want a potential wasted chit on their hands. It all worked out anyway. He rolled into the grad school where he went. It’s a high academic MBA program.
    Last edited by JettSixty; 07-14-2018, 11:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pthawaii
    replied
    Originally posted by Bolts-Baseball View Post
    Honestly, these NTIS things are mostly fundraising for USA... for the most part they have already identified the players on all of their teams. Sure, they may find a needle in a haystack once in a while at these tournaments, but as long as you don't get your hopes up, and realize that you're there to play in a nice event with some hopefully good competition - and that's it - then it should be a good experience.

Based upon experience...

Say for a pitcher to be considered for the 15u National Team: Be at least 6'1" or scrape 90+... January 1st birthday (or play up an age group)... International rules.

A kid that pitched on the 2013 15u team pitched at our HS and now at LSU...

Leave a comment:

• Bolts-Baseball
    replied
    Honestly, these NTIS things are mostly fundraising for USA... for the most part they have already identified the players on all of their teams. Sure, they may find a needle in a haystack once in a while at these tournaments, but as long as you don't get your hopes up, and realize that you're there to play in a nice event with some hopefully good competition - and that's it - then it should be a good experience.

Based upon experience...

Say for a pitcher to be considered for the 15u National Team: Be at least 6'1" or scrape 90+... January 1st birthday (or play up an age group)... International rules.

A kid that pitched on the 2013 15u team pitched at our HS and now at LSU...

Leave a comment:

• pthawaii
    replied
    Originally posted by JettSixty View Post
    Do people realize PG and BA rate players all they way down to 12u? Team USA mostly knows what players they will select for their teams long before NTIS. Anyone who makes a Team USA because of NTIS is someone PG and BA somehow missed.
    Didnt realize this. It would be interesting to see what percentage of team usa comes from PG or BA.

Leave a comment:

• johnlanza
    replied
    Originally posted by Colonel21 View Post
    Found out that my son made the South Texas NTIS team. It is players from Texas south of Waco and all of Louisiana. We are headed to the USA Baseball facility in North Carolina on August 8th.
    Congratulations to your son. As mentioned by others, keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

• JettSixty
    replied
    Do people realize PG and BA rate players all they way down to 12u? Team USA mostly knows what players they will select for their teams long before NTIS. Anyone who makes a Team USA because of NTIS is someone PG and BA somehow missed.

Leave a comment:

• pthawaii
    replied
    Found out that my son made the South Texas NTIS team. It is players from Texas south of Waco and all of Louisiana. We are headed to the USA Baseball facility in North Carolina on August 8th.
    Awesome , congratulations! Please come back to this thread and update us all on how it goes. It would be great to hear about your journey, including costs, games, tourney structure, scouts and the competition. Plus any other info u think parents of young players might be interested in.

good luck!!

Leave a comment:

• sparkny2
    replied
    Yowza...way too many kids for that event

Leave a comment:

• Colonel21
    replied
    Originally posted by sparkny2 View Post

Congrats Col! How many players are on that roster?
    18 players on the team roster.

Leave a comment:

• sparkny2
    replied
    Congrats Col! How many players are on that roster?

Leave a comment:

• Wally Gator
    replied
    Best of luck. Hope it's a great experience.

Leave a comment:

• Colonel21
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pthawaii
    replied
    He put together a team that will play in a tournament in Arizona that will qualify players for the USA National team. He is also putting on the NTIS tryouts, 2 days at his school baseball field. So he's got some teammates that are going. We didnt do the arizona team, just seemed like a team out together for a tourney in Arizona. The NTIS sounds like more of a selection process where we would be going up and playing with some of the top 14 yo in the state. Also the arizona tourney used may 1 birthdate cut off and the NTIS uses calendar year. The latter works better for my son.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X