LL walks where player keeps running to second

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SouthGaBaseball View Post
    Teach the pitcher to look for this and to run directly at the runner and execute a run down. Once you do this properly once or twice you will never see this again.
    That's actually not a bad idea. Force the runner to make a decision.

And too, you really don't have to stop this every time. That kid gets nailed a couple times he'll knock it off. I mean, if the risk is even 1 in 5 you'll get caught, why would you do that vs. a straight steal?

Comment

Can’t really describe the gap between our houseleague kids and our elite kids. It’s cavernous... As an aside, we’re up in Canada and don’t get a lot of ptactice time
      before season starts - in fact we had zero practices before our first game.

There are also gentlemen’s agreements about passed balls and steals. This was outside of longstanding boundaries of acceptable plays.

The talent level of our non-rep kids is terrible... this was a clear case of a rep kid taking advantage of a situation. We were tied 5-5. He was first up.

Anyways, I understand the concept of playing hard but this unfortunately was Bush league under the circumstsances. Moving on...

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketsan22 View Post

Mad because this is an elite kid taking advantage of houseleague kids with less skill or ball smarts. Pitcher and infielder panicked and the ball ended up in CF. It’s also frustrating because we preach playing the game right.
        I get it. However, being mad isn't going to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking0 View Post

I thought the pitcher needs to be on the rubber for it to be a balk (I've heard both rubber and mound)? It may depend on the specific rules being played after. We actually had the hidden ball trick played on us after a timeout (the coach gave one of his kids the ball during an infield meeting). The pitcher needs to be on the rubber for the ball to even be put in play. Our head coach was livid. Eventually the umpire conceded he was wrong, but the game was a blowout in a rec game, so we didn't push it too much (except our head coach wanted him to tell the opposing coach, so they knew the rules, lol).
          It is a balk when the pitcher doesn't have the ball and is:

OBR (and derivatives): On or astride the rubber
          FED: Within five feet of the rubber
          NCAA: On the mound

Comment

Originally posted by Tman View Post

That's actually not a bad idea. Force the runner to make a decision.

And too, you really don't have to stop this every time. That kid gets nailed a couple times he'll knock it off. I mean, if the risk is even 1 in 5 you'll get caught, why would you do that vs. a straight steal?

The majority of times I have seen this type of defense used it caused the baserunner to veer widely outside the basepath and be called out for being outside the baseline. We even started having the pitcher catch the throw back from the catcher on that side of the mound. We never saw that move again after it was cut down a couple times.

Comment

The next time you play the guy and have first and third, run the skunk in the outfield play to show him your displeasure with his running antics.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...broke-baseball
              Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnI4KlUNf38

Comment

Originally posted by SouthGaBaseball View Post

The majority of times I have seen this type of defense used it caused the baserunner to veer widely outside the basepath and be called out for being outside the baseline. We even started having the pitcher catch the throw back from the catcher on that side of the mound. We never saw that move again after it was cut down a couple times.
                I like that it makes the runner panic instead of the pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketsan22 View Post
                  Can’t really describe the gap between our houseleague kids and our elite kids. It’s cavernous... As an aside, we’re up in Canada and don’t get a lot of ptactice time
                  before season starts - in fact we had zero practices before our first game.

There are also gentlemen’s agreements about passed balls and steals. This was outside of longstanding boundaries of acceptable plays.

The talent level of our non-rep kids is terrible... this was a clear case of a rep kid taking advantage of a situation. We were tied 5-5. He was first up.

Anyways, I understand the concept of playing hard but this unfortunately was Bush league under the circumstsances. Moving on...
                  Sorry, but I think then they should change the rules or have better players play up. One thing that is guaranteed is that if a rule can be taken advantage of, it will be taken advantage of if it wins games. Best to try and adapt. We've all got burned by things such as that, and if we don't adapt, it will keep on happening. The nicest guy I ever knew, who never did anything untoward, never won many games, and while the kids and parents liked him, they did not like getting beat over and over again. Also, one of the most successful coaches in wins and losses I know, doesn't have the happiest parents either. It is about striking a balance, IMO.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X