Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LL walks where player keeps running to second

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LL walks where player keeps running to second

    Seen it in tournament play but last night one of our (supposed to be) elite players in a 12u houseleague game was walked by us and as he jogged down to first and rounded bag, took off for second. This kid knows better. Stuff like this drives me bonkers.

    What’s the most diplomatic way to express my displeasure while still maintaining my positive demeanour?

    Still pissed tonight. Especially when he was overheard saying “I got walked and scored a triple.” Grrrr...

  • #2
    Originally posted by Rocketsan22 View Post
    Seen it in tournament play but last night one of our (supposed to be) elite players in a 12u houseleague game was walked by us and as he jogged down to first and rounded bag, took off for second. This kid knows better. Stuff like this drives me bonkers.

    What’s the most diplomatic way to express my displeasure while still maintaining my positive demeanour?

    Still pissed tonight. Especially when he was overheard saying “I got walked and scored a triple.” Grrrr...
    Don't get mad. Know that he'll do that and defend accordingly.

    Comment


    • #3
      edit: nm read it wrong

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Rocketsan22 View Post
        Seen it in tournament play but last night one of our (supposed to be) elite players in a 12u houseleague game was walked by us and as he jogged down to first and rounded bag, took off for second. This kid knows better. Stuff like this drives me bonkers.

        What’s the most diplomatic way to express my displeasure while still maintaining my positive demeanour?

        Still pissed tonight. Especially when he was overheard saying “I got walked and scored a triple.” Grrrr...

        A week or so before the season starts, we usually have a kid do this in a scrimmage situation— without warning — take off for second after a walk.

        We tell our pitcher to make a short snap throw to the SS covering, and the SS to make a firm-bordering on rough tag.

        About the first time some kid tries that stuff and gets the ball put on them with a chest high tag, will be the last.

        Comment


        • #5
          Happens in MLB too.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Matt13 View Post

            Don't get mad. Know that he'll do that and defend accordingly.
            Mad because this is an elite kid taking advantage of houseleague kids with less skill or ball smarts. Pitcher and infielder panicked and the ball ended up in CF. It’s also frustrating because we preach playing the game right.

            Comment


            • #7
              we had a team pull a hidden ball trick in the bottom of the last inning of a tournament semi-final game on sunday. worst part was that the umpire screwed the rule up. first baseman was holding the ball, pitcher was on the mound (over but not on the rubber). R1 moves off of the base, gets tagged. should have been a balk by rule, but still a good learning opportunity for runner and first base coach.

              Comment


              • #8
                Had it happen in a High School Varsity game the other day, ironically, while the ump was cleaning the plate after calling time. He made the runner go back.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by abc123 View Post
                  we had a team pull a hidden ball trick in the bottom of the last inning of a tournament semi-final game on sunday. worst part was that the umpire screwed the rule up. first baseman was holding the ball, pitcher was on the mound (over but not on the rubber). R1 moves off of the base, gets tagged. should have been a balk by rule, but still a good learning opportunity for runner and first base coach.
                  I thought the pitcher needs to be on the rubber for it to be a balk (I've heard both rubber and mound)? It may depend on the specific rules being played after. We actually had the hidden ball trick played on us after a timeout (the coach gave one of his kids the ball during an infield meeting). The pitcher needs to be on the rubber for the ball to even be put in play. Our head coach was livid. Eventually the umpire conceded he was wrong, but the game was a blowout in a rec game, so we didn't push it too much (except our head coach wanted him to tell the opposing coach, so they knew the rules, lol).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Rocketsan22 View Post

                    Mad because this is an elite kid taking advantage of houseleague kids with less skill or ball smarts. Pitcher and infielder panicked and the ball ended up in CF. It’s also frustrating because we preach playing the game right.
                    Sounds like a good lesson (or lessons) for the house league guys. It's frustrating in the moment, but experience can be a very effective teacher.

                    Was there a runner on third? If so, the kid was going to end up on second on the next pitch anyway, so let it go.

                    If not, it's a freebie out if you're paying attention, learn to convert it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This play is easy to defend. Practice it. It doesn't take a stud team of players to get the ball ahead of the runner and run him back to first.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by WailukuHeights View Post
                        Happens in MLB too.

                        This is catching the other team napping as opposed to taking advantage of their skill level.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I see this all the time in 10U softball when there is a girl on third. In reality it doesn't matter since on the next pitch the kid would be stealing second anyway and 95% of the teams (including my daughter's team) don't have a play for defending a steal of second with a "man" on third.
                          Last edited by pattar; 05-17-2018, 07:35 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rocketsan22 View Post

                            Mad because this is an elite kid taking advantage of houseleague kids with less skill or ball smarts. Pitcher and infielder panicked and the ball ended up in CF. It’s also frustrating because we preach playing the game right.
                            Being aggressive and taking an extra base because the defense is asleep isnt playing 'the right way'?

                            I'd say if you really want to teach them to 'play the right way' teach your D to be ready at all times unless blue has called time.

                            There was a mistake made, but it wasn't by the batter.

                            No offense.....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Viking0 View Post

                              I thought the pitcher needs to be on the rubber for it to be a balk (I've heard both rubber and mound)? It may depend on the specific rules being played after. We actually had the hidden ball trick played on us after a timeout (the coach gave one of his kids the ball during an infield meeting). The pitcher needs to be on the rubber for the ball to even be put in play. Our head coach was livid. Eventually the umpire conceded he was wrong, but the game was a blowout in a rec game, so we didn't push it too much (except our head coach wanted him to tell the opposing coach, so they knew the rules, lol).
                              that's what the umpire thought too

                              honestly at the time of the play i was not sure and it was obvious he was not going to change his mind anyway. there are different rule sets, all covered here:

                              https://baseballrulesacademy.com/rul...en-ball-trick/

                              this tournament was HS rules when not otherwise specified in the tournament rules, so within 5 feet of the rubber should have been a balk. it is pretty weird that the rule specifies astride the rubber OR within 5 feet of it. as if you could be astride the rubber and NOT be within 5 feet of it...

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X