Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are wood bats rarely used by High School players?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are wood bats rarely used by High School players?

2018 NFHS baseball rules book provides more flexibility on wood bats than non-wood bats, yet I can't remember the last time I've seen a wood bat used at a high school game here in CA. Specifically:

If it's nonwood, it must be drop 3 BBCOR with max width of 2 5/8".

If it's wood, it must be from a single piece of wood and no more than 2 3/4" width. Wood bats do not need the BBCOR mark.

All bats must be 36" or less in length.

I would think some players (especially small players) might prefer drop 5. Other players might want a 2 3/4" bat. I do get that bats are less durable, so many players will be happy to use a BBCOR bat that never breaks.

Given the greater flexibility of wood bats, why are they so rarely used in High School?

Smaller sweet spot. Less durable. There are wood bat Fall Leagues.

Comment

the catholic HS league here mandates wood bats

Comment

I think MA required all players to use wood one year but then switched back pretty quick..

Comment

It is just too expensive. The bats break because players have been so used to a bat that can make contact at literally any point on the bat. Hit a composite bat out of the sweet spot and it may sting but may still get on base. Hit a wood bat out of the sweet spot and it may crack; it it on the handle, and it will probably saw off. This is sort of the whole point in BBCOR bats. Supposedly the same result as wood (which isn't true) but more durable.

My son did a camp a few years ago at the facility of a former MLB player. He said that when all of the rookies went to spring training, they all were given a couple dozen new bats. Every rookie sawed off every bat on the first day of BP. This was by design to teach each rookie that they were going to have to relearn how to swing since they all came from aluminum bats.
          Josh Greer
          LynkSpyder - Chain Link Fence Camera Mount
          (Links aren't allowed....Google us.)

Comment

Originally posted by LynkSpyder View Post
            It is just too expensive. The bats break because players have been so used to a bat that can make contact at literally any point on the bat. Hit a composite bat out of the sweet spot and it may sting but may still get on base. Hit a wood bat out of the sweet spot and it may crack; it it on the handle, and it will probably saw off. This is sort of the whole point in BBCOR bats. Supposedly the same result as wood (which isn't true) but more durable.

My son did a camp a few years ago at the facility of a former MLB player. He said that when all of the rookies went to spring training, they all were given a couple dozen new bats. Every rookie sawed off every bat on the first day of BP. This was by design to teach each rookie that they were going to have to relearn how to swing since they all came from aluminum bats.
            Interesting - didn't realize how high breakage rates are for wood bats.

Comment

In BP? That is hard to believe. Who was throwing BP, Nolan Ryan? I didn't use a wood bat till the summer before college and while it did take some getting use to, I think I might have broken only a few bats in the 3 years I used them (and never any in BP and I wasn't half the hitter most those guys would have been..) MiLB games I can see, but BP?
              Last edited by pattar; 06-08-2018, 08:29 AM.

Comment

$$$$$$$ I went through 5 or 6 just during summer last year. Sons team played only wood bat tournaments all summer.

Now if my son was young enough to be caught up in that GIANT cash grab called USA bat standard, then I would be in market for drop 5 wood bats :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Coach T13 View Post
                  $$$$$$$ I went through 5 or 6 just during summer last year. Sons team played only wood bat tournaments all summer.

Now if my son was young enough to be caught up in that GIANT cash grab called USA bat standard, then I would be in market for drop 5 wood bats :-)
                  How much per bat?

Comment

I buy in the $50-$80 range

Comment

… Hit a wood bat out of the sweet spot and it may crack; it it on the handle, and it will probably saw off.
                      Yes, it MAY crack, but PROBABLY saw off? I don’t think so.

This is sort of the whole point in BBCOR bats. Supposedly the same result as wood (which isn't true) but more durable….
                      It seems as though you weren’t involved in the game when BBCOR came onto the scene because if you were you’d know it was NEVER talked about as producing the SAME results as wood. read this http://www.baseballnews.com/old/feat...bbcor_bats.htm

Nathan was asked how closely the new BBCOR approved bats will perform to wood bats.

“Very close. When the standard was set up, we had a decade worth of data on how non-wood bats performed and how wood bats performed.

The pitcher who’s afraid to throw strikes, will soon be standing in the shower with the hitter who's afraid to swing.

Comment

The Easton black magic spoiled them all

Comment

My kids are in Catholic school system, I could have bought a couple of Demarinis or Easton Ghosts retail with all the broken bats.

Comment

Originally posted by pattar View Post

In BP? That is hard to believe. Who was throwing BP, Nolan Ryan? I didn't use a wood bat till the summer before college and while it did take some getting use to, I think I might have broken only a few bats in the 3 years I used them (and never any in BP and I wasn't half the hitter most those guys would have been..) MiLB games I can see, but BP?
                            Location, location, location. I used to hate it when we'd pick up players for our company wood softball league because they'd inevitably mishit something and break the borrowed bat.

Comment

Originally posted by mattun View Post

Location, location, location. I used to hate it when we'd pick up players for our company wood softball league because they'd inevitably mishit something and break the borrowed bat.
                              I have a hard time believing kids who are drafted would be getting jammed with 75mph BP fastballs consistently enough that they would break multiple bats in a BP session but I guess anything is possible..

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X