How to stiffen up my glove

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to stiffen up my glove

I love my Rawlings 14" I use for 12" softball. However, it's become too soft at the top that the ball often slips out plus it's not stiff enough for me to even pick up the ball from the ground. Glove isn't even that old (my 4th season). Is there anything I can do to make it stiffer?

A FULL re-lace will stiffen it up a lot.... when I do a full re-lace it requires a little break in period. You can see in these before and after pics, glove starts as a very very dry pancake. I clean/condition and re-laced and you can clearly see the glove holds itself open almost like when new. Play catch for a couple practices and it breaks in good.
    before a2000 1786 SS.JPGAfter a2000 1786 SS.jpg

Comment

I would suggest a relace with a thicker lace along the top line. What type of web does the glove have? There are a couple trickst that can be used for trap webs. I have also seen where some insert plastic inserts in the fingers but I am not sure that will help the top edge as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach T13 View Post
        A FULL re-lace will stiffen it up a lot.... when I do a full re-lace it requires a little break in period. You can see in these before and after pics, glove starts as a very very dry pancake. I clean/condition and re-laced and you can clearly see the glove holds itself open almost like when new. Play catch for a couple practices and it breaks in good.
        The work you did with that glove appears to be similar to magic. Great job!

Comment

That's interesting and makes sense. My son and I each have a glove I'd love to stiffen back up. I'm nervous about trying the relace myself though.

Comment

Thank you guys for your suggestions. I'll try that.
            Mine is closed basket web and very soft all around. I bought it new and felt soft and broken in from the getgo.

Comment

Originally posted by Tman View Post
              That's interesting and makes sense. My son and I each have a glove I'd love to stiffen back up. I'm nervous about trying the relace myself though.
              Google Davis relacing in the US or Everlasting Glove in Canada...

Comment

Originally posted by Coach T13 View Post
                Did you replace any of the padding? Also, I noticed that across the top of the web, you double crossed laced the top. Is there a reason for that? I love relacing gloves and have done a number of gloves this year. I had to reorder leather already and now have some new lace in stock. I've never used the colored laces with the exception of black.
                Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Inspected all padding and was in real good condition, did not replace.
                  Yes the XXXXXXXXX across top of we I picked up from Dirty30 youtube channel, usually found on Wilson models but can be done to any glove https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn1XHPRP7gA
                  this pic shows the XXXXXXXXXXXX top web better.... another glove I restored
                  20180420_223645.jpg
                  20180420_223704.jpg
                  Last edited by Coach T13; 06-12-2018, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I also use the Dirty 30 adjustable wrist relace, check out link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmNMgMDdXc0
                    The stuff he shares is awesome... Most props to him, I just follow his videos, and add my own flare :-)

Comment

The work you did with that glove appears to be similar to magic. Great job!

Thanks SGBaseball !!!

Originally posted by Tman View Post
                      Send me a PM...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X