Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the right age to focus on a position (and what should that mean)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PawtucketRedSox4Eva
    replied
    Good point, it's better to be great at one position; than average at multiple.

Leave a comment:

• JettSixty
    replied
    Originally posted by PawtucketRedSox4Eva View Post
    I use to be against hs, college players pitching, and hitting. To make it to the pro evel; my theory is, you should spend your time focusing on your biggest strength. Shohei Ohtani seems to have proving me wrong!
    High school players shouldn’t pitch and hit on the one in a thousand chance they become a MLBer? Usually when a pitcher doesn’t hit in high school it’s because they can’t hit.

The jury is still out on Ontani. Two months doesn’t make a career. Now he’s injured pitching and can’t hit. Or did he get injured hitting and can’t pitch?

Leave a comment:

• PawtucketRedSox4Eva
    replied
    I use to be against hs, college players pitching, and hitting. To make it to the pro evel; my theory is, you should spend your time focusing on your biggest strength. Shohei Ohtani seems to have proving me wrong!

Leave a comment:

• JettSixty
    replied
    Originally posted by Francis7 View Post

My grandfather on my father's side was born a lefty. Not sure when he was born? But, I am guessing it was around 1916, maybe a bit earlier? They literally tied his left hand behind his back and forced him to do everything right handed as a kid. The "logic" back then was that being lefty was a sign of the devil. Thank goodness we have evolved a bit in the last 100 years or so.
    When I was a kid nothing was designed for lefthanded kids. There was no such thing as a lefthanded desk. Teachers didn’t know how to teach lefties to write. Learning was more challenging for lefties. Lefties were more likely to be dyslexic. Teachers sometimes defaulied to claiming the student wasn’t very bright.

Leave a comment:

• Francis7
    replied
    Originally posted by JettSixty View Post

I have a story relating to your comment. I discovered my LL assistant coach played up to AAA ball. It turned out he had roomed with one of my best friends and Legion teammate for three years in the minors. When I called my friend to tell him the first thing he asked about my assistant, “Is he as lefthanded as ever?”

Growing up my mother taped my fingers on my left hand together. She was not going to allow me to be lefthanded. I do every day things ambidextrously with a tendency to go right handed. I’m left handed athletically. It freaked people out to see me change hands writing on a board in business presentations. I wrote with whichever had me blocking the board the least. I do legal signatures right handed.
    My grandfather on my father's side was born a lefty. Not sure when he was born? But, I am guessing it was around 1916, maybe a bit earlier? They literally tied his left hand behind his back and forced him to do everything right handed as a kid. The "logic" back then was that being lefty was a sign of the devil. Thank goodness we have evolved a bit in the last 100 years or so.

Leave a comment:

• Bolts-Baseball
    replied

He followed his guiding star and found third. What happens next year?
    I have no idea... I wish I knew...

Leave a comment:

• JettSixty
    replied
    Originally posted by Bolts-Baseball View Post
    I've posted this before, so...

Sooo... My kid was a really good SS, 3B and 1B... Until he got to HS...

In Freshman Fall Varsity season, Coach mainly played him at SS & 3B in practice and every game, until the last game... He stuck him out in LF... He had never played an inning of outfield ever, so it was slightly concerning, since he also had never even practiced taking fly balls or anything... But he did well and even threw out a runner at home who was tagging up... He was told at the end of that game that he would be the starting LF'er for the Spring season, so start shagging balls to get ready... So over the Christmas break I got him a OF glove and I hit probably 1000 or more fly balls to him at the field... There was a senior playing 3B, so no problem,...

So, we start the season and 3 games in, Coach decides that he's changing the kid to 2B (so had to buy him another glove), but he's really never played there before and has not practiced at all, so he doesn't know all the nuances to the position... He played about a week there and then during a game where we were losing like 12-0, bases-loaded, he charged a slow-roller and the ball hopped up and hit the heel of his glove and everyone safe, next play Coach immediately moved him back to LF... (1-error in a week in a blowout, and he was gone... pretty harsh)...

Forgot to mention... this entire time PG has him ranked like in the top 5 Third-Basemen in the 2016 class for Florida...

So he played LF for the rest of the season, and got somewhat serviceable out there, learning on the fly...

Sophomore season, he's set to be the starting 3B, when we get a Senior transfer in and Coach see's that the kid cannot play LF, so he moves my kid back out to LF, and he plays there the entire year except for one game at 1B because of a suspension... Summer league team plays in in LF because that's where the HC head coach tells the team to play him there...

Junior Fall season he plays the entire Fall at SS, because our Senior SS is the #1 ranked player in the nation and is taking the Fall off to weightlift and do workouts with MLB clubs... Kid does GREAT at SS and Coach tags him as the backup, and says he will be the starting 3B... We then get another Senior transfer who returned back to our school, and he out hits everyone (including the #3 overall pick in the 2016 MLB draft) and kicked my kid back out to LF... Summer league team plays in in LF because that's where the HC head coach tells the team to play him there...

Kid commits the Oklahoma State as a 3B...

Senior season comes around and we have a new HC... He says my kid will be his starting 1B... I'm like, OK whatever... Even though he has literally played only 1 game at 1B in the last 4-years and is a D-1 commit, and is STILL ranked within the top-ten 3B in FL... Kid plays EVERY game at 1B for his Senior season...

At Oklahoma State during Fall games he mainly plays 3B, but the position is manned by All-Big-12 1st team Garrett Benge, who is not going anywhere and 1B is being manned by the Reigning Big-12 HR & RBI Champ... So he's also not going anywhere... Kid has a great Fall, but he's red-shirted...

Currently at St. Petersburg State College he's playing 3B...

So that's my story...
    He followed his guiding star and found third. What happens next year?

Leave a comment:

• JoeG
    replied
    Originally posted by Bolts-Baseball View Post

In Freshman Fall Varsity season, Coach mainly played him at SS & 3B in practice and every game, until the last game... He stuck him out in LF... He had never played an inning of outfield ever, so it was slightly concerning, since he also had never even practiced taking fly balls or anything... But he did well and even threw out a runner at home who was tagging up... He was told at the end of that game that he would be the starting LF'er for the Spring season, so start shagging balls to get ready... So over the Christmas break I got him a OF glove and I hit probably 1000 or more fly balls to him at the field... There was a senior playing 3B, so no problem,...

So, we start the season and 3 games in, Coach decides that he's changing the kid to 2B (so had to buy him another glove), but he's really never played there before and has not practiced at all, so he doesn't know all the nuances to the position... He played about a week there and then during a game where we were losing like 12-0, bases-loaded, he charged a slow-roller and the ball hopped up and hit the heel of his glove and everyone safe, next play Coach immediately moved him back to LF... (1-error in a week in a blowout, and he was gone... pretty harsh)...

Forgot to mention... this entire time PG has him ranked like in the top 5 Third-Basemen in the 2016 class for Florida...

So he played LF for the rest of the season, and got somewhat serviceable out there, learning on the fly...

Sophomore season, he's set to be the starting 3B, when we get a Senior transfer in and Coach see's that the kid cannot play LF, so he moves my kid back out to LF, and he plays there the entire year except for one game at 1B because of a suspension... Summer league team plays in in LF because that's where the HC head coach tells the team to play him there...

Junior Fall season he plays the entire Fall at SS, because our Senior SS is the #1 ranked player in the nation and is taking the Fall off to weightlift and do workouts with MLB clubs... Kid does GREAT at SS and Coach tags him as the backup, and says he will be the starting 3B... We then get another Senior transfer who returned back to our school, and he out hits everyone (including the #3 overall pick in the 2016 MLB draft) and kicked my kid back out to LF... Summer league team plays in in LF because that's where the HC head coach tells the team to play him there...

Senior season comes around and we have a new HC... He says my kid will be his starting 1B... I'm like, OK whatever... Even though he has literally played only 1 game at 1B in the last 4-years and is a D-1 commit, and is STILL ranked within the top-ten 3B in FL... Kid plays EVERY game at 1B for his Senior season...

At Oklahoma State during Fall games he mainly plays 3B, but the position is manned by All-Big-12 1st team Garrett Benge, who is not going anywhere and 1B is being manned by the Reigning Big-12 HR & RBI Champ... So he's also not going anywhere... Kid has a great Fall, but he's red-shirted...

So that's my story...
    That is a bizarre but interesting story. Being a small lefty, and not an elite-level athlete, my son had already started getting pigeon-holed at the age of 8, and definitely by age 10, as pitcher or right field - maybe 1B on occasion. I have thought this a disadvantage for so many years as he gets more bench time for the lack of positional flexibility (even though he's a reasonably good catcher in rec league, summer coaches did not use him that way).

But from your story, it sounds like it will be a relief in HS as suddenly his role will be obvious and his skills honed at pitcher, 1B, and right field will serve him well.

Pitching will be his main thing. His hitting will have to improve if he also wants to see play at RF.

Leave a comment:

• Bolts-Baseball
    replied

So that's my story...

Leave a comment:

• JettSixty
    replied
    Originally posted by flyingmachine3 View Post
    The legend of JettSixty continues to grow.
    It was such a pleasure to grow up being abused by my mother. I was disciplined for doing anything non athletic lefthanded.

Leave a comment:

• flyingmachine3
    replied
    The legend of JettSixty continues to grow.

Leave a comment:

• JettSixty
    replied
    Originally posted by pattar View Post

Ah, one of those weirdos. Your opinion doesn't count ; )
    I have a story relating to your comment. I discovered my LL assistant coach played up to AAA ball. It turned out he had roomed with one of my best friends and Legion teammate for three years in the minors. When I called my friend to tell him the first thing he asked about my assistant, “Is he as lefthanded as ever?”

Growing up my mother taped my fingers on my left hand together. She was not going to allow me to be lefthanded. I do every day things ambidextrously with a tendency to go right handed. I’m left handed athletically. It freaked people out to see me change hands writing on a board in business presentations. I wrote with whichever had me blocking the board the least. I do legal signatures right handed.
    Last edited by JettSixty; 06-13-2018, 01:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WailukuHeights
    replied
    My own experience, as a 43 year old, went something like this:
    Age 11 - Started organized baseball, Bronco Division (12u) - PONY Baseball. Played sparingly, mostly in the OF and occasionally F4, I would estimate no more than 30-40% of total innings.
    Age 12 - Second year of organized baseball, Bronco Division (12u) - PONY Baseball. Played regularly, rarely sat, probably 95% of total innings. Played mostly F6, F2, F4 in that order.
    Age 13 - Pony Division (14u). Played about 75% of total innings. Played mostly OF, some F4 again.
    Age 14 - Pony Division (14u). Played about 95% of total innings. Played mostly F6, F2, and F8 in that order. Made first all-star team, was the starting F8.
    Age 15 - HS JV. Tried out as an F5, made the team. Rarely saw the field, think maybe 25% of total innings in season. Played wherever the coach needed me, all OF spots, F2, F5. Practice time was mostly at F5/F8. Team won JV Division and Conference Championships (no States for JV)
    Age 16 - HS JV. Moved to F8 permanently. Rarely left the field, probably 90% of total innings. Team won JV Division and Conference Championships (no States for JV), finished undefeated.
    Age 17 - HS V. Split time between F8 and F9 in practice. Didn't get the majority of defensive innings, was mostly a late inning defensive sub and pinch runner, probably 20% of total innings. Team finished 3rd in conference and qualified for States, but was knocked into consolation play after the first game.
    Age 18 - HS V. Starting F9, had a bad year at the plate, was DH'ed for in about 40% of starts, but started in RF every game. Played probably 90% of all defensive innings. Occasionally filled in at F8 depending on match ups and field. Team won Conference Championship and State Championship.

The curious thing about my journey is why the heck did I try out as an F5 coming into HS? I probably played there less than 10% of the time previous to that year. Well, it was a matter of just seeing who in my class would be ahead of me at other spots and who were the Sophomores that potentially had positions locked down. One of my best friends tried out at F6 and won the starting job (incumbent got pushed up to V as a Sophomore), another tried out at F4 and made the team, another tried out at F7 and was a starter 50% of the time. F8 was on serious lock down already by the returning Sophomore, I would not be unseating him. In hindsight, F9 would have been my best shot, but for some reason I was dead set on getting in at F5.

The incumbent JV F6 became the starting F2 on the V team. My friend the F6 eventually got moved to F5 his Sophomore year, but went back to F6 his Junior year, then back to F5 for his Senior year (he was also our #2 SP). The kid one year below us had a very slick glove at F6, but wasn't particularly strong with the bat.

My other friends, the F7 and F4 stayed in those positions throughout their HS careers. F7 went on to play D3.

Of the Seniors in our graduating class, only the F7 played ball post-HS. #2SP/F6/F5 walked on at the local D1 as a pitcher, but decided to hang it up as he knew he wouldn't see game time. Everyone else just had other interests and were ready to move on.

Our #1SP was a junior, played at Lewis & Clark, then got drafted in the 13th rd. He played about 3 years in the minors.
    Our starting F2 was a sophomore, played at a local D2
    Our starting F8 was a junior, played post HS, not sure which college.

What is interesting though, is the multi-sport influence back then.

From that team, starting 9:
    F1 (junior) - Football (LB), Baseball
    F2 (sophomore) - JV Football (RB), Baseball
    F3 (senior) - Football (RB/S), Basketball (F), Baseball
    F4 (senior) - Football (QB/DB), Basketball (PG), Baseball ... and valedictorian
    F5 (senior) - Cross Country, Basketball (F), Baseball
    F6 (junior) - Bowling, Baseball
    F7 (senior) - Bowling, Track (4x100m), Baseball
    F8 (junior) - Football (QB/WR), Baseball
    F9 (senior) - Bowling, Track (100m, 4x100m), Baseball

On the bench:
    DH (senior) - Football (DL), Baseball
    Backup F3 (senior) - Football (DL), Basketball (C), Baseball
    Backup OF (junior) - Football (OL), Baseball
    Backup F5, #5P (junior) - Basketball, Baseball
    Others were just baseball

Mostly everyone played some Fall sport.

Leave a comment:

• pattar
    replied

I throw lefthanded.
    Ah, one of those weirdos. Your opinion doesn't count ; )

Leave a comment:

• JettSixty
    replied
    Originally posted by pattar View Post

I was talking more about your experience (hence the over 35 part ; ) ) and what you remember happening on teams vs. your son's...
    I throw lefthanded. In LL (had to make it) at nine and ten I played right and left. At eleven and twelve I played short and pitched. In all stars I played first and pitched. Starting in junior high and BR I pitched and played center through high school. I played right in Legion. Our centerfielder was a future first round pick. In college I played right and left. In college summer ball I played center one year. I was moved to center when the center fielder was benched hitting about .160.

I was a lefthanded bullpen specialist freshman year in college. While a dominant high school pitcher I wanted to play every day in college. I didn’t understand what I was walking into freshman year. I got about sixty at bats. A week into the season the coach asked (frustrated and in language that can’t be repeated here) if there was a lefty who could come out of the pen throwing strikes. I volunteered.
    Last edited by JettSixty; 06-13-2018, 11:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X