Pitching mechanics analysis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitching mechanics analysis

First time posting any sort of video of my son. This is a bullpen session he had the other day. He is 13u playing up in 14u. It is in 4x slow motion.

He looks really good to me. Really good. If i had to pick something to work on, I'd say (1) lessen the rocking back onto his back leg, don't try to get to a balance point and (2) keeping that front should closed another fraction of a second and get better separation. Some may want to see that front leg firmed up. Such a subtle thing, I'm not even sure it's worth mentioning, he will likely develop as he continues to grow. How's he fairing in 14u?
    Last edited by pthawaii; 06-13-2018, 03:37 PM.
    Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

Separation and keeping his head level.
      Put your junk in your pocket!

Comment

Looks pretty good.
        efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

coronel21,

“First time posting any sort of video of my son.”
          This is a great angle, your son looks very athletic.

Are you posting for suggestions on how to improve his Power? asses his mechanical performance for injurious effects? Trainimg, drills?

“ He is 13u playing up in 14u”
          What is your best guess at his biological age? Is he equated, delayed or advanced in maturity?

“It is in 4x slow motion.”
          This is the way it should be, next time set up high and right behind him. Always try to video exactly at 90 degrees positions

Pitching mechanics analysis.”
          Your son produces the traditional centripedal pitching approach.

It relies on tension angulation to help attain velocity, not length or body rotation because of it's late arriving Humerus into outwards rotation. Unfortunately it has been repeat examined and proven by many with this approach you also need restrictions on counts and they are again finding out the counts they use now are still way to many.

This approach is known to cause hundreds of types of joint injuries and muscle neural imbalances leading to muscle eccentric pulls because of it's intuitive forearm supinated drives, miss-alignments and disconnected drive kinetic chain and kinetic recoveries.

Have you noticed all of a sudden how many of the MLB pitchers are driving the ball while staying tall and all the way thru recovery?

Have you noticed the proliferation in in “Backed up pitch types” like Sinkers and the rest.

Did you ever wonder why it's now OK to do this?

Primum non nocere

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtberry View Post
            Are you posting for suggestions on how to improve his Power? asses his mechanical performance for injurious effects? Trainimg, drills?
            Looking for any tips on to fine tune or improve on what he is doing now.

What is your best guess at his biological age? Is he equated, delayed or advanced in maturity?
            Not sure the answer to this. He is 13.5 years old and is 5'10". Mental wise, he is like any 13 year old but knows he has to put in the work to keep advancing.

Your son produces the traditional centripedal pitching approach.

It relies on tension angulation to help attain velocity, not length or body rotation because of it's late arriving Humerus into outwards rotation. Unfortunately it has been repeat examined and proven by many with this approach you also need restrictions on counts and they are again finding out the counts they use now are still way to many.

This approach is known to cause hundreds of types of joint injuries and muscle neural imbalances leading to muscle eccentric pulls because of it's intuitive forearm supinated drives, miss-alignments and disconnected drive kinetic chain and kinetic recoveries.

Have you noticed all of a sudden how many of the MLB pitchers are driving the ball while staying tall and all the way thru recovery?

Have you noticed the proliferation in in “Backed up pitch types” like Sinkers and the rest.

Did you ever wonder why it's now OK to do this?
            All of this is way over my pay grade comprehension wise.

Comment

Originally posted by pthawaii View Post
              How's he fairing in 14u?
              He has surprised me as to how well he made the jump to the full length field. He and another kid on the team are the 1A/1B pitchers, just depends on the Sunday match up and seeding. For the most part he starts game 1 each Sunday. He leads the team in innings pitched. The team is a 13 Major/Premier team and they have played a completely 14u schedule against a mixture of 14 year old team levels from AA to Major. The team is 35-7 on the year. So it has really helped that he has a strong team behind him.

Comment

Looks like he has good general mobility and starts off pretty well. He could improve his lower half a good bit (doesn't load his back leg as well as he could or brace with his front leg as well as he could). His overall movement seems overly linear and less rotational to me. He can get more power by loading more into his glutes and being more rotational.

Comment

Originally posted by mcloven View Post
                  Looks like he has good general mobility and starts off pretty well. He could improve his lower half a good bit (doesn't load his back leg as well as he could or brace with his front leg as well as he could). His overall movement seems overly linear and less rotational to me. He can get more power by loading more into his glutes and being more rotational.
                  I agree with all your comments, I'm unsure how to asses this one. I'm curious what you are seeing that makes you think he's overly linear and less rotational.
                  Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

Watch his back leg and his front leg. Basically going straight (not really loading his back leg and rotating into his front). Kinda pushing forward with his upper half (also watch how his upper half ends up on the follow through).
                    Some good discussion here:
                    https://twitter.com/setprosports/sta...02698541649920
                    https://twitter.com/setprosports/sta...19345286598656
                    None of this is meant to be overly critical. I think this pitcher has really solid upside.
                    Last edited by mcloven; 06-15-2018, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Good stuff. Thanks guys. This is kind of what I was looking for. The video of Logan Gilbert was really good.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X