X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AdamInNY
    replied
    Originally posted by sparkny2 View Post
    They are rare. I was fortunate to see 2 from my area.
    There are 2 14U eligible kids in our area that hit 90. Both are on the roster for PGs 14U select event next week and on TV.

Leave a comment:

• johnlanza
    replied
    Originally posted by JettSixty View Post
    ...going to an inexpensive local showcase costing under $200 to see what it’s all about. But there’s no sense in spending $500 to $1,000 unless you’re ready to show what you have.
    Yea, I'm in complete agreement on that!

Leave a comment:

• JettSixty
    replied
    I don’t believe going to a showcase early helps a player with nerves. When he’s ready to be recruited the player either believes in himself and has confidence or he doesn’t. There’s nothing wrong with going to an inexpensive local showcase costing under $200 to see what it’s all about. But there’s no sense in spending $500 to $1,000 unless you’re ready to show what you have.
    Last edited by JettSixty; 08-15-2018, 12:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• real green
    replied
    Originally posted by johnlanza View Post

But isn't the experience of just attending a showcase early beneficial for the player so they can get the nerves out of the way? And see what they really need to work on?
    Nope, I don’t believe so. Nerves might impact a play or an at bat, but wont change a players speed, arm strength, or swing. Also, as a player grows so does his confidence. If he is nervous to the point of significantly impacting his performance he isn’t ready to showcase his skills. If you have ever been to a showcase, it takes about 5 minutes to find the D1 ready players. They stand out like sore thumbs. It doesn’t matter if those D1 players whiff at three pitches, trip over their shoe laces while fielding a ball, or stumble out of the box at an AB. They are different and it has little to do with experience.

Leave a comment:

• johnlanza
    replied
    Originally posted by real green View Post

I am not sure you realize how big this statement is???

I have seen a lot of parents drop big dollars trying to get recruited toooo early. Spend your money on strength, speed, and skills until your son has what it takes to get recruited. If he runs a 7.5 60, throws 77, and can't hit it out of the park on a consistent bases, don't go showcase hoping to get noticed. Save your money and get him in the gym with a good trainer. Put 20lbs of muscle on him.
    But isn't the experience of just attending a showcase early beneficial for the player so they can get the nerves out of the way? And see what they really need to work on?

Leave a comment:

• real green
    replied
    Originally posted by pthawaii View Post
    After gaining the strength, speed, and skills to actually play college ball, what do you feel are the key steps to getting recruited by a college baseball program?
    I am not sure you realize how big this statement is???

I have seen a lot of parents drop big dollars trying to get recruited toooo early. Spend your money on strength, speed, and skills until your son has what it takes to get recruited. If he runs a 7.5 60, throws 77, and can't hit it out of the park on a consistent bases, don't go showcase hoping to get noticed. Save your money and get him in the gym with a good trainer. Put 20lbs of muscle on him.

Leave a comment:

• real green
    replied
    Originally posted by mcloven View Post
    Totally agree with Jett.

One thing that really helps too is playing for a travel team that is relatively high profile and that has a coach who has a relationship with college coaches (so, usually, picking the best team your kid can play for). I will say, I've personally seen that make a huge difference with players being seen and offered. Players who are borderline for a school, get offered because the travel coach highlighted positive attributes about the kid and understood the college program, and colleges offer because they see a feeding frenzy for a player and are worried about being out-offered by another school. The best travel coaches know how to work that system. So, if you have the opportunity, play for the travel program with the most exposure, rather than being a big fish on a team with relatively no exposure and experience placing players.
    This and Jett nailed it! As Jett added, a TRUSTED source is golden! I have watched it first hand going through the process. Outside of the top 10%er, you need a trusted source advocating for your son. Solid players going all over the country playing trying to get noticed on solid teams with little to no traction. Only to find a trusted source, who makes a couple phone calls and recruiters are out to watch the next day. Offers on the table within weeks. When it happens it happens fast.

Leave a comment:

• sparkny2
    replied
    They are rare. I was fortunate to see 2 from my area.

Leave a comment:

• Bolts-Baseball
    replied
    15u players throwing 90 are unicorns... I've never seen one, but they might be out there...

Leave a comment:

• chief2791
    replied
    Colleges coaching staffs are very aware of the top players in their area. Throwing 90 at fifteen makes a kid known by coaching staffs all over the country.
    This is the truth. My nephew plays for a fairly prominent org, 14U this summer, 15U going into the fall, he plays with the org team that he's sent to for the week/weekend. There are 2 kids already committed that are above 90 from that summer 14U team. And not dad blowing smoke "he throws 90", documented 90+. A couple others are bumping up against it. The flamethrowers are very well known by coaching staffs early, there just aren't many unknowns, although I'm sure every now and then one will jump onto the scene.

Leave a comment:

• JettSixty
    replied
    If Sonny Gray was throwing 90 at 15yo the Vanderbilt coaching staff already knew who he was. Colleges coaching staffs are very aware of the top players in their area. Throwing 90 at fifteen makes a kid known by coaching staffs all over the country.
    Last edited by JettSixty; 08-06-2018, 12:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• baseabllmom
    replied
    I don't think it is a run out and make sure your kid plays multiple sports just to get better at baseball and get recruited. Of course being great at baseball is the key. A quick look at the Vanderbilt Team did show that the players often lettered in multiple sports in high school. Quite a range of sports, actually. Golf, swimming, football, basketball... Cool example Skipper, on how the skills transfer. Many of the current Vanderbilt roster didn't letter all 4 years in baseball, but pretty much all of them lettered 3 years.

I did like the podcast emphasis on grades / serious academics interest first. I thought the discussion on position flex interesting as well as that he watches the athletes play in multiple games to develop a model as opposed to just a single tryout, camp, showcase, and statistics and that being recruited doesn't guarantee playing time. You all might know all this already! The top tier programs probably have big recruiting budgets and can afford the time to scout players.

The discussion on hitting and how that is an uncommon talent resonated with comments on this thread. Hit and position flex.

I do follow the Vanderbilt program pretty closely since we live nearby. There are multiple stories of kids being identified and recruited from the prospect camps or from casual conversations with the staff. Story is that Sonny Gray came to a game and chatted up the pitching coach. Consistent with throwing 90 at 15 is talented and will get you in the door. Certainly even more were ranked on perfect game, played in highly visible travel teams, and known to the staff before hand.

Leave a comment:

• skipper5
    replied
    Originally posted by JettSixty View Post
    I haven’t listened to the podcast. But don’t put too much stock in the high school multi sport thing. Both kids (baseball and softball) were multi sport stars in high school. But for all college coaches say about multi sport athletes they’re looking for the best players available in their sport whether or not they play(ed) other sports.
    I agree.
    I think multi-sports for HS baseball players is promoted by college coaches because they're employed in a hard-hearted dog-eat-dog job, so they want to associate themselves with something that sounds positive and progressive.
    Last edited by skipper5; 08-05-2018, 03:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JettSixty
    replied
    I haven’t listened to the podcast. But don’t put too much stock in the high school multi sport thing. Both kids (baseball and softball) were multi sport stars in high school. But for all college coaches say about multi sport athletes they’re looking for the best players available in their sport whether or not they play(ed) other sports.

Leave a comment:

• skipper5
    replied
    Originally posted by baseabllmom View Post
    Ran across this 2014 podcast that touches on some of the topics on this thread. Thought some of you might find it interesting.

https://www.voiceamerica.com/episode...ach-tim-corbin
    Thank you, I enjoyed it a lot!

With regard to playing multiple sports, they approvingly mentioned basketball.

I'm high on having basketball players on my baseball teams.

Last edited by skipper5; 08-06-2018, 03:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X