Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter (now 30) is from the brouchure era of recruiting (when she was 15). I was recently looking over Cathy Aradi’s site to see what applies to baseball (most of it). One change she noted is the competition has become more fierce for scholarships in women’s softball.

Fifteen years ago it was the PAC 10 and everyone else. Michigan broke through. Then the SEC and the ACC got much better. Girls from the west coast who previously would have only wanted to play in the PAC 10 are playing all over the country now.

The big move was Monica Abbott commiting to Tennessee. She could have picked her school in the PAC 10. People were shocked she didn’t go to Cal. She played for Team USA. A couple of years ago she signed a six year, million dollar deal to play in the NPFL.
    Last edited by JettSixty; 07-24-2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
      I'm just going to throw this out there. If stats don't matter, then are you saying that All Area, All State ... don't matter?
      If the coaches know the general quality of the players in the area then I am sure it carries some weight. So, if your child is looking local then I would say they carry more weight (positive or negative) than if they are looking outside their region. At least 95% of the girls in my DD's TB org, as is true for most orgs here in Okklahoma, commit to a local school (Ok,Kansas,Tx) it appears. Unfortunately, there are only a few schools around here that I would want my DD to go to from an academic perspective..we'll cross that bridge when we get to it if necessary.
      Last edited by pattar; 07-25-2018, 04:45 AM.

Comment

As does Johnlanza, I have a late blooming(5'1" 100lbs) 13u player who's going into 8th grade. He's a 2023 graduate(June birthday) playing with mostly 2022s. My question is 1) should he jump to 14u this fall and spend only that year on the big field using BBCOR? 2) play this fall in 13U using -5 bat on big field and go to 14u in the spring or 3) play the entire fall and spring 2019 in 13U due to his lack of size? He hits the ball pretty well on the big field using a -5 USSSA bat but I know that will change when he has to go to BBCOR.

Comment

If I might, w/o sounding condescending....size shouldn't matter when it comes to deciding where a player should play at any level. Yes, I understand that size/strength does effect a player's overall ability to hit, and throw a ball, but I've also had some "small" players compete right up there with their "bigger" counterparts, and hold their own against all on the field...just as I've had some "bigger" players struggle at the same levels. It's all a matter of the individual players' mechanics, and abilities (think Altuve)....and not simply a matter of who's taller, shorter, lighter, or heavier.

Now that all said, and honestly from a coach's perspective the old saying, "Small players have to prove they can play, whereas bigger players have to prove than they can't" (or something like that) does hold true upon first impression with most coaches sadly enough...and I've been guilty of it myself at times as embarrassing as that is to admit publicly. =( Case in point....

My last year at the HS, we had a freshman show up all of 5'1" (5'2" in cleats) and maybe a buck ten soaking wet. He came out to play F6 in tryouts, and nothing else he said (said he could pitch, but that's another story), and my first impression mentally upon hearing this was "OK, good luck young man". Long story short, he did end up being our starting F6, hit in the #1 spot in the order, and was just an absolute stud in all aspects of the game compared to his teammates.

Now he didn't hit for power per se, but he laced LDs all over the field, and the ones that hit the gaps were easy doubles for him (lead the team), and a good number of them were triples, as my only complaint about his was that a "stop sign" from the 3rd base coaching box meant nothing to him, as he was off to the races out of the box. To him, anything between the OFers was going to be a triple in his mind.

Yes, we had our discussions about that the number of times he was thrown out at 3rd, but they were always very mild ones, as I sure as heck didn't want to subdue any of the aggressiveness he played with, as he was the "spark plug" of the team that year, was our team leader in not allowing anyone to not give 100% at all times (practices included), and he led by example to the fullest extent.

He went on to play his next three season on varsity, and his senior season he had "grown" to all of 5'6" and 125lbs....and while he didn't lead the team offensively any of those years, he did defensively from the MIF, in the dugout, on the bus, at practice, and in the locker room. One of the players I'll remember for a lifetime, just because he never let his size be a factor in how "big" he was going to be on the field, and anywhere else for that matter.
          In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by leadoff2 View Post
            As does Johnlanza, I have a late blooming(5'1" 100lbs) 13u player who's going into 8th grade. He's a 2023 graduate(June birthday) playing with mostly 2022s. My question is 1) should he jump to 14u this fall and spend only that year on the big field using BBCOR? 2) play this fall in 13U using -5 bat on big field and go to 14u in the spring or 3) play the entire fall and spring 2019 in 13U due to his lack of size? He hits the ball pretty well on the big field using a -5 USSSA bat but I know that will change when he has to go to BBCOR.
            If a kid is capable he should be playing grade appropriate (13u) starting in 7th grade. He shouldn’t use anything lighter than a -5 in 7th grade. By 8th grade he should be using a -3. Once a kid can handle the -3 he should play up to as high of a level as he can compete.

Comment

Jet,
              i know it was mentioned earlier, but what is your impression on the headfirst showcase camps? When do you think it is s good idea age-wise to attend this type of camp? Should the kid already have taken SAT/ACT? If you go by what the folks who run the camp say, kids should attend by middle school...seems silly to me, but i guess it is why I ask

Comment

Originally posted by giantheart View Post
                Jet,
                i know it was mentioned earlier, but what is your impression on the headfirst showcase camps? When do you think it is s good idea age-wise to attend this type of camp? Should the kid already have taken SAT/ACT? If you go by what the folks who run the camp say, kids should attend by middle school...seems silly to me, but i guess it is why I ask
                Obviously not Jet and will mention about my daughter. We had her take the ACT in fall of Junior Year. She was still not verballed and we knew that a good score as she went on unofficial might be good. Thankfully, she scored really well and so, we put that out there for prospective schools and then mentioned that she would retake again. In fact, she took the ACT four times. At one school, the difference in one point on the ACT was $10,000 dollars over 4 years. So, for us, it was worth it. She did achieve that score on later testing. Another reason we had her take the test early is that we intended to hire a tutor after we had a base score. We sent BB through one of those national programs and it was worth it.

For those of you who have not been through the process, there is no consistency from program to program. For BB, we sat down after unofficial visits and talked with the coaches. Before the NLI signing date, she took all 5 of her official D-I visits. BB went D-II and there are no limits to official visits in D-II and D-III.

Other things that really do matter include GPA and class rank. You won't know those until later in the process.

Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Jet,
                  It depends what level player the kid is. If he’s a D1 prospect he’s going to get exposure in other places. My son was signed up for Head First post junior year. I sold his spot when it wasn’t needed for recruiting. If a kid is a D2/D3 prospect and a top student it’s the best place for exposure. Given D2s typically and D3’s almost always make their offers post junior year summer there probably isn’t a need to participate sooner. It’s expensive.

Comment

Thanks....Seems to line up with my initial thoughts. My son won't ever even sniff D1...but he is showing enough that D3 is possible. I've got more time to let it play out.

Comment

Thanks....Seems to line up with my initial thoughts. My son won't ever even sniff D1...but he is showing enough that D3 is possible. I've got more time to let it play out.
                      I am currently trying to get two of my softball players to play for a local, but very good, D-III. Both are at the top of their class. Both played with a girl I got the coach to recruit two years ago and actually will have a great opportunity to be 4 year starters. Both are 31+ ACT. All in all, they won't have to pay much if anything at all to play in college if they go to this school. D-III provides a great education and other opportunities not always recognized but including who you network with.
                      Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

I don’t think anyone has made the flat out statement ... Most kids aren’t going on to pro ball. Use baseball to get into a better college than a kid would have otherwise been accepted. Coaches at top academic D3’s (like NESCACs, etc.) can usually get about six kids through admissions who wouldn’t get in without baseball. They still need to be quality academic talent. But they can be below the regular standard. A school that normally requires an unweighted 3.8 to 4.0 with a 1500+ SAT (Math and English) will take a few baseball players each year with a 3.5 and 1300. This also includes Ivies in D1.Harvard and Yale aren't winning NCAA hockey titles with lines of skating PBK’s.
                        Last edited by JettSixty; 07-25-2018, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JettSixty View Post
                          I don’t think anyone has made the flat out statement ... Most kids aren’t going on to pro ball. Use baseball to get into a better college than a kid would have otherwise been accepted. Coaches at top academic D3’s (like NESCACs, etc.) can usually get about six kids through admissions who wouldn’t get in without baseball. They still need to be quality academic talent. But they can be below the regular standard. A school that normally requires an unweighted 3.8 to 4.0 with a 1500+ SAT (Math and English) will take a few baseball players each year with a 3.5 and 1300. This also includes Ivies in D1.Harvard and Yale aren't winning NCAA hockey titles with lines of skating PBK’s.
                          When Dartmouth was recruiting my daughter, they had a score that he had to achieve. It was not the super d duper score but was respectable. So, I agree with the above. Side note - the coach told me that while it was possible that I might have to pay some money for her to attend, she would meet a guy who would turn out to be rich. So, there is that! LOL

Comment

When Dartmouth was recruiting my daughter, they had a score that he had to achieve. It was not the super d duper score but was respectable. So, I agree with the above. Side note - the coach told me that while it was possible that I might have to pay some money for her to attend, she would meet a guy who would turn out to be rich. So, there is that! LOL
                            Summer after my freshmen year at Tufts, I was guest playing with my old Legion team (I played in a wood bat league that summer but this was just non-sanctioned Legion game that would have some scouts there) and the Dartmouth coach, who knew I was playing for Tufts, asked if I would be interested in transferring. From a baseball perspective I probably should have done it since I quit the following year (for various reasons), but don't regret not doing it since I met my wife that next year =)

Comment

Here’s a similar story. Friend’s son was being recruited by Stanford. The kid was also a possibility to be drafted high out of high school. The coach asked the parents, “Do you want your kid to meet his future wife at Stanford or some small, single A town in the middle of nowhere?”

Comment

Originally posted by JettSixty View Post

Here’s a similar story. Friend’s son was being recruited by Stanford. The kid was also a possibility to be drafted high out of high school. The coach asked the parents, “Do you want your kid to meet his future wife at Stanford or some small, single A town in the middle of nowhere?”
                                I don't care who you are, that's funny!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X