Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your best option is to accept you know squat about softball and give up.

Comment

• Originally posted by rodk View Post

Yes, it is limited exposure. 10% of the US population doesn't play the game; it has evaporated. The girls here get lacrosse scholarships.

As far as different, I suppose. The ball is bigger; the girls are smaller. Certain stuff has to play out differently.

One of them, however, is not employment of brainpower. Another is not being cemented in position. You will notice that second baseman is facing the plate; she has zoned out. She never moved during that play. The first baseman has stayed fixed too, despite presumably being aware her right fielder will never be able to reach her and presumably noticing the second baseman has zoned out. There was no play at second or at third or any reason for a cutoff at the second base bag, especially as the right fielder cannot reach there. The ball is still in the outfield as the runner turned second, and no one is throwing that runner out from right field then.

Watch all of it in its glory at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIbkD3OF4EI Start at about 3:15:00. FWIW, the first baseman's subsequent failure to eat the ball and opt instead for a throw-it-around-the-infield throw to third where there was no one backing up long after the runner got there was fortunate not to yield the losing run on that same play.

As far as everyone coaching that way, well, there are a lot of weak standards in our world. You don't have to look too far past school itself to note how badly the teaching process runs because they only try to address lowest common denominator and low expectations. If, as you posit, the school coaches get it wrong consistently, that only means that they adhere to a weak standard.

As for finding an Ozzie Smith video, don't bother unless you find him making 5 errors on the same play.
      Wow is all I can say. 10% of the US population. Now, that is a stat. One could then ask how much of that population are young ladies playing softball? I have seen estimates from 9.5 million which I will state is questionable. Hey, I can find statements that say as recent as 2012, 40 million people played softball.

I watched that video about 10 times now. It is clear that you don't know the game. Where would you put the 2b? Where should the 1B be? How should the RF have played the ball? Per weak standards, I can find terrible games at both the MLB and collegiate levels. I can find players of every ability have bad games. I know the levels of play and have seen thousands of games in both baseball. I'd post my baseball resume but why would I. You come off as an expert. I'm an ex expert. For softball, my daughter was one of five players nominated for NCAA Player of the Year. So, I know first hand the standards. You have watched a game, talked to a JV coach, seen 12U teams and believe that a stat about softball players making up 10% of the U.S. population is somehow a valid statistic. That in and of itself says a lot. Hey, be glad you don't have a daughter and move on.
      Last edited by Cannonball; 12-12-2018, 08:13 PM.
      Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

• Well, this thread went off of the rails!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cannonball View Post

Wow is all I can say. 10% of the US population. Now, that is a stat.
          DELETED - BOARD MANNERS - NO POLITICS.

According to https://www.phillymag.com/citified/2...st-in-country/ there are more than 20 million people in the NYC metro area, and the chart does not include close in Connecticut where there are 2 million more residents. Meanwhile, Philadelphia, which is less than 75 miles from the Statue of Liberty has another 6.9 million in its metro area and there are suburbs and exurbs between the two of them. So that's about 31 million people within 75 miles of the Statue. The US population is more or less 310,000,000, so do that math yourself.

One could then ask how much of that population are young ladies playing softball? I have seen estimates from 9.5 million which I will state is questionable. Hey, I can find statements that say as recent as 2012, 40 million people played softball.
          1. Obviously not enough. https://jack-cust-baseball.ezleagues...es.aspx?type=t shows last year's full schedule at the primo softball and baseball venue in the Northeast. There were 169 baseball tournaments (for 1 year increment teams) and 15 softball tournaments (for 2 year increment teams, meaning it takes twice the number of people in the given demo to fill up the available slots). I previously mentioned that there were also only a handful of tournaments at Baseball Heaven. Presumably greater participation would result in greater demand would result in greater supply. Is 15 tournaments for 31 million people in the region indicative of shallow participation levels and indifference, compared to more than 10 times the number of baseball tournaments at the same venue? I imagine so.

2. What difference does it make? 91 million people go swimming in the US every year. https://www.thespruce.com/facts-abou...safety-2737127 Only a few are competitive. The fact that maybe 9.5 million or 40 million play softball does not mean any of them are amazing or that they are at a level that is really competitive, and does not suggest that the pool of competitors for scholarships is as deep as it is for, say, football or basketball. It is what it is.

I watched that video about 10 times now. It is clear that you don't know the game. Where would you put the 2b? Where should the 1B be?
          Your argument here is not with me but with the Ole Miss coach and the laws of physics and math (which seem to have escaped you as much as other facts).

The Ole Miss rightfielder that night (according to the box score at https://www.ncaa.com/game/softball/d.../ole-miss-ucla ) was Kylan Becker, who is listed at 5'8" and was on the national team roster not withstanding a photo that suggests she weighs 140 lbs. https://www.teamusa.org/usa-softball...s/Kylan-Becker

According the "The Physics of Baseball" a thrown 5 oz. 3 inch diameter baseball loses 1 mph for every 7 feet it carries due to drag. I don't know what the drag on a 6.3 oz 3.5 inch diameter softball, but lets call it 1 mph for every 6 feet. I also don't know how fast Kylan can throw a softball overhand, but I do know the fastest recorded baseball pitch by any woman was 69 miles an hour. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...-pitch-(female) So lets say, generously, she can peg a bigger, heavier softball back into the infield at 60 mph.

Now the real math. If her target is 90 feet away, the ball slows down by more or less 15 mph during flight, meaning the average speed for the throw is 52.5 mph, or 77 feet per second. The duration of a 90 foot flight at 52.5 mph is 1.17 seconds.

Then we deal with the gravitational constant that causes the ball to lose altitude at 32 feet per second per second .... and then you get the idea.

Unless the peg is arced just so -- lengthening the trip -- she probably won't be able to reach the 90 foot target on the fly, and in fact, Kylan's real life throw did not. The throw will bounce and the contact with the moist dirt and the bumpy grass and it will slow even more. If the second baseman stays cemented in place where she is, about 125 feet away, the ball may or may not reach her, and it it does, it will more than likely get there on the roll. Even with a proper relay, it is problematic to get the ball to third for a play about 200 feet away from where the ball fell in right field because the relay throw is subject to the same math. Without a relay, and ignoring gravity, a 200 foot throw to third or to the plate arrives at only about 23 mph, for an average speed on the trip of 41.5 mph, and a duration of more than 3 seconds.

Meanwhile, those runners aren't slowing down and are taking the next base in about 3 seconds.

In candor, I don't know to within 5 or 20 feet where F4 should have gone to take a relay. It was a complex play with multiple runners, and F6 should have been directing it based on her experience. But F4 should not have been standing in her spot like a statue waiting for a possible relay that ended up being an almost useless peg to the cut. That was a fail. If you are telling me that the coach told her to stay there and that it wasn't a zone out, then that is where the fault lies.

How should the RF have played the ball?
          You saw it. She was stationed only about 5 steps from where it ended up, but got a terrible jump. She should have played it into her glove, especially if she is a nation-level player instead of playing it into a triple.

Last edited by Cannonball; 12-15-2018, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rodk View Post

1. Obviously not enough. https://jack-cust-baseball.ezleagues...es.aspx?type=t shows last year's full schedule at the primo softball and baseball venue in the Northeast. There were 169 baseball tournaments (for 1 year increment teams) and 15 softball tournaments (for 2 year increment teams, meaning it takes twice the number of people in the given demo to fill up the available slots). I previously mentioned that there were also only a handful of tournaments at Baseball Heaven. Presumably greater participation would result in greater demand would result in greater supply. Is 15 tournaments for 31 million people in the region indicative of shallow participation levels and indifference, compared to more than 10 times the number of baseball tournaments at the same venue? I imagine so.

The Diamond Nation facility in New Jersey is mostly a baseball facility. Yes, they do softball also, but softball seems to be secondary to that specific complex. There are other facilities scattered all over the northeast that host more softball tournaments than Diamond Nation does. There are facilities in PA that host softball tournaments nearly every weekend from May through August for USSSA. That said, I do agree that there are far more baseball players than softball players. Strictly by the number of participants, baseball is more popular than softball.

Added: Just out of curiosity I decided to start looking at USSSA events in the state of PA. Softball teams outnumber baseball teams by 10-1 or more. What does that mean? Probably nothing. Apparently USSSA in PA is more popular among softball teams than it is among baseball teams. Doesn't mean any more than that in my opinion. But I think the comparison is equally as valid as using the Diamond Nation facility in NJ that simply isn't very popular among softball teams.

I also looked at the Diamond Nation complex (Flemington, NJ) on google maps. It looks like a really nice place for a baseball tournament, but I would not schedule my softball team to play there. I would prefer to have my team play at true softball fields such as Veterans Park in Quakertown, PA.
            Last edited by FP26; 12-15-2018, 04:58 PM.
            "Once you stop learning, you start dying" -- Albert Einstein.

Comment

• You missed the obvious sarcasm concerning percentage measured against total population of the United States. Then you missed the point about young ladies playing the game and then measured against other sports of only young ladies. Most programs are adding teams left and right in my area. Of course more play baseball but that was not the point. Most softball players stop at the age of 22 or 23. My daughter did play for the oldest active ladies softball organization in America. However, most players stop playing and go on with their lives. Professional softball is now in danger of having their league collapse with so few teams now.

The 2B was in exactly the right position. The ball caromed off of the fence. A major college outfielder is expected to be able to throw a ball from a standard defensive position to any cut on the inner portion of the infield. There were 2 runners on with one being on 1st and the other 2nd. When the ball caromed off of the fence, the hitter was guaranteed 2B but rounded and headed to 3B.. The runner on 1st was guaranteed 3B but was sent home. The play immediately became home given the score after the ball hit the fence. My daughter played at a very high level and was an All American. She was also selected to represent our country as "Team USA" went to Italy. She has never gone out to receive a throw from right field. If that OF can throw the ball to her, they aren't in right field. Do all the math you want but your "fact" doesn't represent much at all. The best softball players don't play baseball. Also, that throw was not from a windup. Your math ignores the momentum of the throw based upon a crop-hop and forward momentum. You don't know the game and it is obvious. Every one of my high school outfielders can throw a ball to home from their OF positions.
              Last edited by Cannonball; 12-15-2018, 08:24 PM.
              Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

• I stopped at Jack Cust being premier softball. LOL! You don’t know squat!

Comment

• Premier in the tristate area.

Comment

• Well, this is a baseball recruitment thread so, I will respectfully ask that this get back to baseball recruitment.

Comment

• Originally posted by sparkny2 View Post
                      Premier in the tristate area.
                      Having the most teams in the most tournaments does not make an organization premiere. That would be like saying flank steak is better than filet mignon because you get more for the same price. The premiere softball organization EVERYWHERE in the US is ASA.

Comment

• Going back to baseball....My 2020 is a PO. We targeted/are targeting camps where my son has had previous contact with the coach/rc. Not attending camps in dec/jan with one exception at the very end of jan. They are aware my son will have just been back on a mound for 3 weeks. Son's travel ball coach knows the rc/coach at most of these schools and has reached out to already.

We are avoiding camps where it's a coach that runs/works at a separate baseball facility and is trying to get kids to come.

Comment

• My son, 2022, got his first email inviting him to camp. It was from the South Dakota State Jackrabbits, who he loves because his name is jack. He's had a Jackrabbit sweatshirt and T-shirt for years.

He thought it was cool, but we aren't going to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forum_jedi View Post
                            My son, 2022, got his first email inviting him to camp. It was from the South Dakota State Jackrabbits, who he loves because his name is jack. He's had a Jackrabbit sweatshirt and T-shirt for years.

He thought it was cool, but we aren't going to go.
                            Most camp invites are generic and gathered from mailing lists. As your son gets older you'll get many many more "generic" invites.

Comment

• My son was registered for a showcase he couldn’t attend. Following his non attendance he received serveral emails and letters saying ... We saw you at XYZ Showcase. We would like you to attend one of our camps for further evaluation. Obviously I decided I would not be contributing to their spring trip fund.

The college programs either receive the registration list by attending or can purchase it if they didn’t attend.

Comment

• For anyone that's familiar with computer programming my son received an email from mid tier D1 school that was addressed:

Dear $FirstName

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X