This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AdamInNY View Post
    For anyone that's familiar with computer programming my son received an email from mid tier D1 school that was addressed:

Dear $FirstName
    Did he respond Dear [CollegeName]?

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamInNY View Post
      For anyone that's familiar with computer programming my son received an email from mid tier D1 school that was addressed:

Dear $FirstName
      That is Funny!!!
      Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

• I am cleaning out my files every day now as I retire at the end of the year. I came across an old recruiting effort from 1989. I had a player. NO, a player. He was really good and yet, he wasn't getting the looks I thought that he needed to get. I set about with one goal on a weekend in February. I wanted him to meet and shake hands with every D-I coach in our state. Of course we could not do that. However, I took him to a bunch of campuses. At one particular college, our first stop after we tried to talk to a coach on a Friday night at another school, we got to the school for their morning workouts. These were voluntary workouts on the weekend and were not structure. The HC said he would be in the building if we stopped by. My player shook his hand, he commented that it was good to see him and I knew that the HC had reservation. It was my player's size but I didn't know it then. Why would I keep this file? We got up early at something like 4:30 a.m. and when we got to where we were going, I forgot to turn my lights off. When we were leaving, my battery was dead and the HC was headed out. He stopped and jumped us. I told him it destroyed my timeline for recruiting. The HC said it didn't matter, he wanted the player. I wasn't wrong about the player although an OF, he pitched us to a state title after having only pitched in four games during the regular season. He went really far in the game. Man have times changed.
        Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

• I was at a family gathering this weekend and was sitting at a table where one of my nephews, who played at the same HS my son attends, now coaches at a D3. A few things he mentioned regarding his school, GPA would need to be 3.65 or higher (he is aware of my sons school having graduated from there so I trust that's an accurate figure for that school), and as for camps, he said if you are going to attend a camp, try to attend camps with multiple schools present. Those are better than the single school camps where school players are running the camp (aka fund raiser for school).
          Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Originally posted by pthawaii View Post
            I was at a family gathering this weekend and was sitting at a table where one of my nephews, who played at the same HS my son attends, now coaches at a D3. A few things he mentioned regarding his school, GPA would need to be 3.65 or higher (he is aware of my sons school having graduated from there so I trust that's an accurate figure for that school), and as for camps, he said if you are going to attend a camp, try to attend camps with multiple schools present. Those are better than the single school camps where school players are running the camp (aka fund raiser for school).
            I agree with this but there are always exceptions. DD initially started with approximately 10 schools that she considered true possibilities. They had her major. She liked the school/area. And she was confident she would get accepted.

1) The school that ended up being #2 on her list ran 2 private camps per year. One was open to anyone from 7th to 12th grade (fund raiser). The other was strictly for 10th through 12th grade. At the last one she attended they had several hitting stations set up. One of them included live pitching with a pitcher and catcher from the varsity team (in a cage). DD went into that cage and struggled on the first few swings. But then started hitting line drive after line drive. The assistant coach was watching, then asked the head coach to come over. At the end of the clinic, they asked her to stick around and offered her a spot on the team.
            2) The school that ended up being #1 and that she is currently enrolled, didn't have any private camps. Every camp their head coach attends is attended by several other colleges. Some small (3 or 4 schools) and some large (20+ schools). All throughout the fall DD spent a great deal of her time in the coaches office and has learned that the coach not only likes the one-on-one interaction that such an atmosphere provides, but she also likes to see how her prospects deal with other coaches and ideas as well. If she is watching a specific player, she is watching the entire time, whether the player knows it or not.

Ultimately the best piece of advice DD ever received came from her pitching coach (former D1 and D2 coach). He told her that college recruiting is not a "selection" process, but an "elimination" process. Unless you are ridiculously good, the number of players most colleges have to select from is crazy. Don't do anything that will get you removed from their list.
            "Once you stop learning, you start dying" -- Albert Einstein.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cannonball View Post

The 2B was in exactly the right position.... Do all the math you want but your "fact" doesn't represent much at all... Every one of my high school outfielders can throw a ball to home from their OF positions.
              Interesting, but hard to have a conversation with someone who thinks math and science are fake.

So let's deal with it just on coaching. A major league outfielder stands about 280 feet from home in an "outfield in" situation because that represents the max distance he can throw it while having a reasonable chance to get a runner who is tagging out. https://www.active.com/baseball/arti...de-easy?page=1 That amazing throw from Cespides in 2014 that drew gasps of "unbelievable" and "are you kidding me" was about 300 feet.

Are you really telling us that your 9th grade outfielder who weighs 100 lbs can throw a ball that is 20% heavier, slipperier, and harder to grip 200 feet in the air all the way home, when that is a challenge for big leaguers? Or even 150 feet?

Comment

• Deleted. I crossed the line!

Comment

• e
                  Originally posted by rodk View Post
                  Are you really telling us that your 9th grade outfielder who weighs 100 lbs can throw a ball that is 20% heavier, slipperier, and harder to grip 200 feet in the air all the way home, when that is a challenge for big leaguers? Or even 150 feet?
                  Rod, go back and look at that entire play again....I think you'll see that the bold above is what happened to that throw, and yes, IMO a "9th grade" and older OFer should be able to throw the ball 100-125', and right where F3 had positioned herself for the throw had it not slipped out of F9's hand initially. As far as F4 and F6 are concerned, they seemed to be aligned in "double cut" or "double relay" positioning for a throw that might have gone to 3rd base instead.

Although granted, I'm not sure on the size of a softball field that a "double cut" would ever be necessary at the HS level or above...but I could also interpret F6's movements as simply moving towards, and wandering off from covering 2nd as would have been her assignment if the ball did go to the F4 cut towards 3rd (who might also be a bit to close to F9, but whatever), and a "back pick" if you will...if the runner rounded 2nd too far then deciding that she would never make it to 3rd as the ball was coming in.

So all in all I think you're trying to make an argument on a mis-thrown ball, unless you want to say that the cut off guys in the clip below were all in the wrong spot(s) or stationary....
                  delmon.gif
                  ....because none of them were in any position to make play that "strong" throw.
                  Last edited by mudvnine; 12-19-2018, 12:06 PM.
                  In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

• Play the game at a higher level than those around you, and get decent grades, and not be, nor should your parents be headcases. That's pretty much it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SomeBaseballDad View Post
                      Play the game at a higher level than those around you, and get decent grades, and not be, nor should your parents be headcases. That's pretty much it.
                      Depends on your idea of decent grades...

NCAA rules for D1s state a student athlete needs a 3.5 GPA or 1270 on the SATs for the school to combine academic with athletic money.

Comment

• Found this link in a different thread on this site, wanted to add it to this thread:

https://keepplayingbaseball.org/
                        Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Originally posted by rodk View Post

Interesting, but hard to have a conversation with someone who thinks math and science are fake.

So let's deal with it just on coaching. A major league outfielder stands about 280 feet from home in an "outfield in" situation because that represents the max distance he can throw it while having a reasonable chance to get a runner who is tagging out. https://www.active.com/baseball/arti...de-easy?page=1 That amazing throw from Cespides in 2014 that drew gasps of "unbelievable" and "are you kidding me" was about 300 feet.

For those interested in the math and science, the following science supports an average-sized 14 year old throwing just shy 200 feet:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4060312/

And if you want to do distance calculations with a spreadsheet for bats:

http://baseball.physics.illinois.edu...lator-new.html

My own son, who is much smaller than average for a 14-year old baseball player at 5' 3", 104 pounds, currently throws around 180 to 190 feet.

Comment

• How to get recruited by a college baseball program

All you have to do is get Aunt Becky to cough up some cash

aunt_becky_memes_college_cheating_scandal_lori_loughlin.jpg?quality=90&w=650.jpg
                            efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

• What, if any, strategies would come in to play now that the 2020 school season (at least) is gone? not that school ball seems to be very influential, but it leads into summer and fall opportunities, at times. also, summer ball and showcases are a question mark now, and, when they do come back, they'll be jammed up, I think, with everyone and his brother trying to be seen to make up for lost time.
                              my 2023 isn't in too much of a pickle because of all of this but I can see where it could affect the recruiting timeline for 2021s and some 2022's (not to mention uncommitted 2020's making a last push for a roster spot next year).

also, I saw something (not sure where) saying that the average Pac10 recruit's raw throwing velo in their HS sophomore year is 85 mph. Is this accurate? does this metric hold for other top D1s?

Comment

• Originally posted by mys View Post

also, I saw something (not sure where) saying that the average Pac10 recruit's raw throwing velo in their HS sophomore year is 85 mph. Is this accurate? does this metric hold for other top D1s?
                                That actually seems kind of low to me. I would think that would align more with a freshman and then see sophomore year up to around 87/88.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X