Coaching Thoughts:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
    I have several quotes on the walls of my classroom. One of them is, "Its always something Wally." That was a quote from an episode of Leave it to Beaver. In that episode, The Beav attempted to be the good son and did a whole lot of work around the house to make Ward and June happy. He was proud of his efforts that day. As he laid in bed, June called for him. It seems he had gotten dirty and had washed his hands. As he dried them on the white towel, he got the towel dirty which upset June. He went back to the bedroom where he said the quote, "it always something Wally." I've taken the quote to heart since it seems that often my best efforts to help someone leave me speechless. Last night was no different. Last night, my wife spent some time up town and ran into several people she knows. One asked if I was still coaching. Naturally my wife said that I was. Then this person commented to my wife that a parent was upset that some assistant coach at the HS was charging for lessons. Coaches should coach for free. The sport? Softball. Yup, me.

I've posted this before but I charge $15 per half hour or if there are two players, $15 each for 45 minutes. However, I stagger the times players report because the almost always get an hour. The amount I charge was an agreement between me and the AD. I do a lot of work in those lessons from filming, film breakdown on my time, setting up/tearing down the cage, and then throwing BP when I am not supposed to do any physical throwing until February per Doctor's order after having my hip replaced. I am so disappointed. Not only do I not make much, I have other things I want to do. For example, I have free golf and could have been golfing 9 holes each night after school. Anyway, I do know who the parent and player are who are complaining. This is apparently being said in public since this person brought it up to my wife thinking I was still coaching baseball. I'll have to seriously think now about giving lessons. I've done it for the players but apparently some don't appreciate it. The reality is that this is what coaching is like now. Its always something Wally.

Edited to add:

Man, a huge light just went off for me. This player has not paid for any session this fall but half of the others have not paid. I have reminded them and they have continued to say, "I'll bring the money next week." I have just let it go all this time. As I mentioned previously, we finished last week and not one player paid. I think I know why now. LOL Somebody I know was played a fool. (Where are those smilies when I need one?)
    You have a very forgiving wife..not sure mine would be so forgiving if I was taking time away from her (and the kids..realize yours are older) and not getting any compensation for it. Forgetting to pay once or twice can be understandable perhaps, not paying for weeks on end reaks of kids/parents who think they are owed something. Next time they don't pay call the parents and tell them if they want free lessons they should go buy a bucket of balls, an L-screen and 30+ years of knowledge and do it themselves...

Comment

The term "secret code" is exactly the best way to describe the situation I mentioned to you and is something that drives me batty when seeing some of these people coach/instruct. Contrary to the "secret code," many people have been sharing ideas for a very long time with the intent to help others. Also, as I mentioned, I lost my cool some when the person I mentioned tried to declare "property rights" to the stuff you and I talk about every day.
      In the history of the world, there are very few theories (hitting,math,physics,etc) that were developed "in a vacuum". Anybody claiming otherwise is being intellectually dishonest.

Comment

Just have to post this. We were able to go outside last night for practice. While we went outside the second day of tryouts, it was for about an hour at 38 degrees and 36 by the time we were finished. We only caught fly balls that day and hit tennis balls, etc. in the cages. We play tonight. We could not get on our field but gave it heck trying to get some fielding lanes done.

A part of the hitting practice involved the concept of "getting a good ball to hit" and what that means to this coaching staff. For us, and I don't care if you disagree and you probably do, getting a good ball to hit is directly related to the situation. For example, if we have a runner on second, a good ball to hit for us is a ball on the outside corner so that we can drive it the other way. To practice this, we set up front toss BUT with the screen off set and at an angle. The feeder was to then toss the ball to the outside corner of the plate. The hitter was to drive the ball back at the feeder who was protected by the screen. Getting a "good ball to hit" with a runner on 3rd base involved driving a ball anywhere with the exception of 3rd and pitcher. Again we set up another front toss station but the feeder was to feed the balls all over the zone. We always have a station where we toss a ball up and hit it. For last night's work, the hitter was to toss balls up in areas amounting to an inside, middle and outside pitch and hit the ball accordingly BUT focus on the mechanics and sequence of what their body was doing. We can do this with a plate and those "flat cones" simulating areas that the hitter should be tossing the ball upward over.

A couple of other thoughts. Side toss can destroy good timing if done improperly. In fact, we hardly ever do side toss. If you do, the feeder has to do some type of negative movement to allow the hitter to know when to begin the load. Front toss can be unproductive if the feeder puts an arc on the ball. We have our feeders put a little zip in their tosses. Again, they incorporate a negative move when they feed the ball.

Finally, last night cracked the coaching staff up. We had so many parents at the various sports practices going on that it really stood out. One dad was walking up and down the road looking as nervous as could be. I don't know what sport he was watching. A couple of dads were in the trees. Well, not really in the trees but there is a levee that runs along the property and they had walked down it and were "in the trees." I don't know if any of the other coaching staffs saw them. They were on their phones and so, that made us laugh even more. I have to say that if we had any parents in that group, we could not identify them. Then again, who knows where they might be hiding. It is great to be back in season again.
        Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Well, we are off to a good start. We hit a few home runs and more than our fair share of doubles. We were fortunate to beat a highly regarded program a long way away from our school. No coach is any good without the players. The plan we put into place last night was a "clinic" as was mentioned by others. In coaching, you have to be aware of so many things. For example, one player mentioned, when others were so happy about the win, that this player didn't contribute. That can be a delicate thing to address. Is the player being selfish? Is the player wanting to be a good team mate and feeling that they let the team down? You have to know the player. In this case, this player is going to play in college in a few years and is seriously competitive and will do anything to win. This player felt that the team was let down. Keep in mind that one size does not fit all when you deal with teenagers. Tonight, we get back after it. A coach has to build on success but remember that sometimes less is more. Tonight, we will put in a new plan for a couple of hitters but we won't tear everything down and start again. Small "fixes" often result in huge gains.
          Last edited by Cannonball; 03-13-2019, 05:49 AM.
          Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

A part of the hitting practice involved the concept of "getting a good ball to hit" and what that means to this coaching staff. For us, and I don't care if you disagree and you probably do, getting a good ball to hit is directly related to the situation. For example, if we have a runner on second, a good ball to hit for us is a ball on the outside corner so that we can drive it the other way..
            I think situational hitting is more realistic in fastpitch than baseball because the ball is bigger and the pitchspeeds are slower.

For that reason (and others as well), I think that I'd really enjoy coaching fastpitch.

Mantle said that trying to hit Koufax was like trying to eat soup with a fork.
            To some degree, that description describes situational hitting in baseball.

February through June, my TV remote is scanning for college games. Last night it was baseball, Seminoles vs. Gators.
            However, when there's college baseball on one channel and college fastpitch on another, more often than not I watch fastpitch. More tactics. More action.
            Last edited by skipper5; 03-13-2019, 07:07 AM.
            Skip

Comment

Skip, I can't speak for others. I'd like to think that I made a career in baseball coaching situational hitting. WRT softball, our pitcher is throwing 61 at a release point of roughly 38 feet. That ball is getting up there rather fast.

Comment

Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
                February through June, my TV remote is scanning for college games. Last night it was baseball, Seminoles vs. Gators.
                However, when there's college baseball on one channel and college fastpitch on another, more often than not I watch fastpitch. More tactics. More action.
                No disrespect to the softball players or coaches...but I still don't like seeing adult women playing the game on a LL field, or listening to many of them still wanting to be cheerleaders on the bench instead of ball player there, and as such...really can't watch (or especially listen to) college softball that much.

Now that said, when I do tune in briefly, I am always truly amazed at the talent, reaction time, and quickness that the players exhibit in being able to hit, and field in those short distances, and at the speeds the balls are traveling within them. Wow!

I just wish they'd move the bases, mound, and fences back just a little bit (not saying a regulation 60/90, but not the LL field they play on currently), and maybe tone down the between pitch cheerleading routines from the bench constantly is all.

But yes, I know it's not about me, and making it more like boys/mens baseball is not what anyone has in mind, nor do the girls/women playing the sport need to change their game or style of play for an old, set in his ways curmudgeon like myself. They're doing just fine, and having fun w/o my 2¢ worth of personal opinion. So carry on, I'll butt out now.... =)
                In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                  No disrespect to the softball players or coaches...but I still don't like seeing adult women playing the game on a LL field, or listening to many of them still wanting to be cheerleaders on the bench instead of ball player there, and as such...really can't watch (or especially listen to) college softball that much.

Now that said, when I do tune in briefly, I am always truly amazed at the talent, reaction time, and quickness that the players exhibit in being able to hit, and field in those short distances, and at the speeds the balls are traveling within them. Wow!

I just wish they'd move the bases, mound, and fences back just a little bit (not saying a regulation 60/90, but not the LL field they play on currently), and maybe tone down the between pitch cheerleading routines from the bench constantly is all.

But yes, I know it's not about me, and making it more like boys/mens baseball is not what anyone has in mind, nor do the girls/women playing the sport need to change their game or style of play for an old, set in his ways curmudgeon like myself. They're doing just fine, and having fun w/o my 2¢ worth of personal opinion. So carry on, I'll butt out now.... =)
                  Men play fast pitch on the same small field. Imagine hitting a ball coming off the hip at 100 mph from 43 feet. With the girls getting bigger, faster and stronger and the pitching distance moved to 43 feet, there’s no reason the field shouldn’t be changed to 50/70. My daughter never played on a team (high school or travel) that was big on chanting. One high school teammate would start chanting to annoy teammates if she thought they weren’t focused.

I found preteen boys to be much worse. “Two out rally! Two out rally! Two out rally!” A couple of years ago I made my evening biking trips to LL all star games. One team had a chant personalized for every player.

Comment

Originally posted by JettSixty View Post

Men play fast pitch on the same small field. Imagine hitting a ball coming off the hip at 100 mph from 43 feet. With the girls getting bigger, faster and stronger and the pitching distance moved to 43 feet, there’s no reason the field shouldn’t be changed to 50/70. My daughter never played on a team (high school or travel) that was big on chanting. One high school teammate would start chanting to annoy teammates if she thought they weren’t focused.

I found preteen boys to be much worse. “Two out rally! Two out rally! Two out rally!” A couple of years ago I made my evening biking trips to LL all star games. One team had a chant personalized for every player.
                    And when our kids started to do that stuff, I'd tell them to knock it off as they aren't softball players..... seriously, though, there are HS softball tournaments that are played at the same complex as our MS games, and we can often hear the 'drum' beats and chants nonstop during it. At 7U-8U, you would see it a bit more for travel and all-star teams. I figure that anything to make 'hardcore baseball' fun is a plus at that age. Seriously, the last 7U team I saw had tons of kids who got burned out by 10U.

Comment

I'm late to the thread but a couple of thoughts to catch up:

Bunting: I want my players to know how to do it well but chances are they'll rarely, if ever, do it. I think the skill of bunting is fundamental to hitting well and bunting in practice can help a guy get out of a slump (helps them "keep their eye on the ball") but, in games, I hate giving away outs. I'll only bunt if it will win the game for us, tie it up late (even more rare), get us 2 bases per runner or is for a base hit. I agree that a lot of kids don't know how to bunt and that's a hole in their game.

delayed steals: I love the play. especially in travel, when you're playing a tournament and it's late in the day during pool play, you'll find a lot of defenses on their heels. I like this when I have a slow guy on first and 2 outs with the top of the order up. he gets hose...oh well. start next inning with the top of the order. I think we've only been thrown out twice in two years, though (12 and 13u plus a little bit of 14u) because we pick our spots and we actually practice it. I've found that 3 shuffles (big, low, ground eating shuffles, not bouncy hops) is the perfect timing, usually. 2 shuffles (usually the kids is anxious to go so not only is he going early but his shuffles don't eat enough ground) just turns into a bad jump. the 2 times I remember getting thrown out were when the kid did exactly this. he did 2 small, quick shuffles and took off.

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                        listening to many of them still wanting to be cheerleaders on the bench instead of ball player there, and as such...really can't watch (or especially listen to) college softball that much.
                        You didn't have girls right?? As a kid who watched minimal FP softball growing up (I always opted to stay home and go to the park when my sister was playing..bad big brother I know) it was annoying watching my daughter at first but you kind of tune it out after about 100 or so games..plus it is not
                        as loud sitting behind the fence in LF or RF like I do

I do agree with the fence dimensions..those were fine when women were swinging drop 2 wood bats but now with the bats they use half the HR are not even well struck it seems. Moving them back 20 or 30 feet would be good. My 9 YO 70 lb daughter plays on fields with same fence dimensions as Jocelyn Alo... Basepaths, etc I am fine with.
                        Last edited by pattar; 03-13-2019, 02:42 PM.

Comment

As a FYI, the field we played on last night was 210 all the way around and 8 feet high. That is a pretty big HS field.

Comment

A couple of dads were in the trees. Well, not really in the trees but there is a levee that runs along the property and they had walked down it and were "in the trees." I don't know if any of the other coaching staffs saw them. They were on their phones and so, that made us laugh even more. I have to say that if we had any parents in that group, we could not identify them. Then again, who knows where they might be hiding. It is great to be back in season again.
                            LOL. This quote got me wondering about the other side of it. We're just getting started in this area. We're right before the time where coaches can be there to monitor and run practices, so most of the practices are ran by captains or upperclassmen. Fess up, how many HS baseball coaches do you think are looking at the field from a third/floor window facing the field to watch what's going on?

Comment

Bunting keeps the infield honest and helps defeat the shift!

Comment

Knocked the walls down again tonight against another state power and a school more than 2 times our size. If you want to build a program, you have to take on all comers. Something that gets lost in coaching is preparing for the weather. Tonight, we headed for the game and it was apparent by how the bus was getting rocked that the winds were way above normal. In fact, the power lines on the main road between our school and where we played came down as we went. We had to tell the parents to go another way. Right now, it is 30 mph plus. In coaching, you have to know what to tell your pitcher and have them adapt as well as how to position your defense. This wind was blowing across the diamond from right field to left field. Flyballs were amazing. I think we hit the fence 8 times but they played us so deep that most of those were singles.

On the way home, the road was shutdown and they were putting up the detour signs. From coaching basketball, I have driven every backroad in this state. I know how to get from here to there about 5 different ways so we did our own thing and got home in a reasonable time. New coaches often get on the bus thinking that the driver knows where you are going. NOPE! We have to tell the bus driver each time where we are going and how to get there.

I forgot to mention that I am now throwing BP again. This school plays bigger teams and they come after little dogs like us. So, I threw hard and in and then hard and out for pre game. I threw from 30 feet. We worked real hard at getting started or, dancing with the pitcher, and then being able to check. So the "check" was a part of BP tonight. We are currently averaging 9 runs per game so it seems our "plan" is working. There will come a game where it won't and we will have to adjust on the run. The thing I like the most is that the kids have really bought into the program.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X