Breaking in a new glove

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking in a new glove

Everyone seems to have their own system, how do you break in a glove? Personally I wet it and bake it in the oven for three minutes at 300, then shape it with a mallet, but it’s pretty hard work. I’m looking for a better strategy.

I would never bake a glove...just cooking out the oils.

I've done several like this-

https://www.google.com/search?q=aso+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I also use a mallet or baseball bat to speed things up.
    Put your junk in your pocket!

Comment

Go to the batting cages, get a machine that throws 70-80 and start catching baseballs. I will admit I have tried all the cheats, but if its a glove you want for a long time then just play catch with someone, or a machine. :-)

Comment

Go down to the 9u game at your local park and after the third walk of the inning, the oracle in the stands will give all in attendance the wisdom:

"JUST PLAY CATCH"

Comment

OR...

Baste liberally with shaving cream, beat it 30 minutes with a meat tenderizer, bake at 350 until a toothpick comes out clean, put in the back window of a hatchback in 100° heat for a week, drive over it a couple times with the family chariot, hit it with a sledgehammer, wrap it up with a softball and a 8.5" baseball in the pocket and stick it between your mattress and box springs for a fortnight...

Then tell people on the internet they have to spend $200+ on a top quality glove for their preteen or else it will "go all floppy"...

^ the above is intended for humor/satire, not as a jab at anyone in particular

Comment

Since you didn't mention what kind of glove, I'll throw this out. If you feel the need to instantly break-in a glove, buy cheap. No use taking a $249 HOH and try and speed up the break-in only to limit it's lifespan. If it is a quality leather, playing catch as recommended or practicing with it over time will allow the glove to properly break-in and mold to your hand. I say this as there are people who run a break-in service - glove and mitt blasphemy to allow someone else to do this. The handstall is usually the first area to go on a glove so I cover my glove hand in conditioner and work it in on a new glove to prevent sweat rot and dry cracking. I only condition my gloves once a year.
            "Whata crowd, whata crowd! I tell ya, I'm all right now but last week I was in rough shape..."

Comment

Originally posted by Coach T13 View Post
              Go to the batting cages, get a machine that throws 70-80 and start catching baseballs. I will admit I have tried all the cheats, but if its a glove you want for a long time then just play catch with someone, or a machine. :-)
              Probably not the wisest decision, but on my last glove I stuck my glove in front of the machine and was hand feeding pitches. You know, to speed up the reps. Didn't break any fingers.

Comment

I use water all the time, and I actually soak the glove to mold it to the hand and/or flare the pinky and thumb in or out... The process is really simple... I run warm-ish water over the glove until it has saturated the leather completely, and do it until the leather is really soaked, pliable. and heavy with water (I will also sometimes clean the glove with some fast orange if the glove is over-oiled or really a mess)... I run the water in the finger stalls as well until they feel slippery... I then put a towel in my lap and start 'working' the glove, I'll flare the fingers out or in, adjust and tighten and properly tie all the straps and knots. Then start pounding the glove with my hand and or a baseball... Once I get the glove where I want it - most gloves are already taking their new shape and you can feel them drying at this point, I will sometimes, sometimes not, use some conditioner on my glove-hand and stick it in the finger stalls... I will then sometimes apply some light conditioner over the entire glove, sometimes not, depends on the glove and how it feels at this point... Once this is done, I will place the glove, back up (to dry the finger stalls), or on it's fingertips under a ceiling fan on high for around 24+/- hours... I will check the glove periodically to see if it's where I want it, and either adjust by re-soaking or re-wetting some areas or doing some additional pounding, bending or stretching...

It's fun, and it keeps my hands busy while watching games or TV...

When dry, the gloves do get hard, but a couple rounds of Lexol, or a good conditioner and some pounding with a ball or mallet, or even a pitching machine gets them loose in a hurry...

Gloves have always dried properly, never had any mold, never removed pads, never removed laces, never had a glove wear out over a year...

If you try soaking a glove that is about to fall apart or is damaged to begin with, or has cracked or torn leather (especially in the palm liner or finger stalls) you cannot expect good results. If the glove is new, or used, and in usable fairly decent condition you can have good results... Good luck.
                I don't like my balls to smell like pickles.

Comment

Lexol, a pitching machine and a softball with a glove wrap. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Comment

So much wrong in this thread...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X