Stride direction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stride direction

What is your opinion? A couple years ago many liked a slightly open stride (back heel and front toe in line) like bautista and encarnacion but now a closed stance with a "scissor kick" is the latest rage (like betts)

what do you think? Is either better? Or is it individual as long you have a good load and coil?
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

I want my hitters to be slightly open. The reason is not for the stride. It is to put two eyes on the ball. A side result is that it seems that many of my hitters work harder at coil.
    Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
      I want my hitters to be slightly open. The reason is not for the stride. It is to put two eyes on the ball. A side result is that it seems that many of my hitters work harder at coil.
      Cannon, are you talking about stance or stride? It sounds like stance, while dominik is discussing stride. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Comment

Viking0, when my hitters start their stance open, they have to lift that lead leg, coil and then move forward by coil which, in part is the stride. I hope that this makes sense. I don't have them get in their stance open and remain open if that helps.
        Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

I am an ex expert. I've done this long enough to know that those who think that they know it all, know nothing.

Comment

The various MLB strides are 25% function, 75% personal style...

Meaning that as long as a player doesn't stride so "closed" that it limits his full ROM when swinging/turning to fully open the hips s/he's fine...that's the 25% important "function" part...the other 75% is the "style" part, and the final stride direction they feel comfortable with within their swing process.

Now to derail the topic I'm sure....but hitters should be "striding" with their rear leg, not their front one. WHUUUTT?!!! =)
          In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

"striding" with their rear leg, not their front one. WHUUUTT?!!! =)

Comment

To me, a stride direction would be determined by how far a batter stands from the plate, the size of the batter, their stance, and elements of their hitting style and then someone might be able-through trial and error to fine tune stride direction. Generally it's going to be pretty much at the pitcher or his release point. Might even be a factor if it's righty-righty, righty-lefty, lefty-righty, or lefty-lefty.
              Major Figure

Comment

Originally posted by omg View Post
                To me, a stride direction would be determined by how far a batter stands from the plate, the size of the batter, their stance, and elements of their hitting style and then someone might be able-through trial and error to fine tune stride direction. Generally it's going to be pretty much at the pitcher or his release point. Might even be a factor if it's righty-righty, righty-lefty, lefty-righty, or lefty-lefty.
                A question to everybody on this, then. If a batter suspects a pitcher to be coming inside, should they then step open? I know some of my players do this with encouragement from other people working on their swing. At younger ages, this can lead to hitters doing it everytime more due to being afraid of the ball than anything else. However, as they get older, some do it to improve their chances on hitting an inside pitch, which seems to work against slower pitchers.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking0 View Post

A question to everybody on this, then. If a batter suspects a pitcher to be coming inside, should they then step open?
                  Stay away from that.
                  Major Figure

Comment

Ted Williams suggested striding open or closed up to 10 degrees was fine.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X