Fall Ball

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Ball

What are your thoughts on players playing baseball in the fall (September and October) in addition to what they played in the Spring and Summer?
    Coaching experience: Managed 5 Little League teams and coached on 4 others. So, what do I know?

Playing fall ball involves evaluating the arm. A kid who pitched all spring and summer should probably not pitch in the fall. Anyone with any arm issues should be careful about what position they play in the fall. My son didn’t play fall ball until entering high school. He also played the following two falls.

Comment

My son's place hates playing fall ball. They would rather train in the fall than play games. They have their reasons. Personally, although they never say it, I think part of it is that they lose players to other sports in the fall and don't want to go into tournaments minus some good players.
      Coaching experience: Managed 5 Little League teams and coached on 4 others. So, what do I know?

Comment

I think your son needs a break... his body is telling you this. Let him heal... spring(winter) work will start soon enough.
        Put your junk in your pocket!

Comment

I'm okay with fall ball. I wish they took off when the school season ended, 4 mos off would do all players some good.
          Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

Definitely no fall ball for him with the shoulder injury.

regarding fall ball I think it depends on the location. If it is cold weather and season starts late April fall ball is good. If your season starts in January fall ball probably isn't needed.
            I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

My kid like yours is starting HS at the end of the month. Fall ball was nice at 12U to get used to 60/90. Not so useful for incoming frosh or non-showcasing sophs already playing 60/90. I hope my kid elects not to play fall ball and stick woth other sports

Comment

I think to avoid burnout it’s good to take the fall off. We have some kids play low stress rec programs and don’t pitch in them and I think that’s ok, but most use fall to train and play other sports.

Comment

This is the second year in a row where we did not get on a field outside until May. So, the actual game season is only 3 months. My son is 2019 13u and moving up to the big diamond so we are going to do some Fall Ball (2 tournaments) as it is the only opportunity to get some experience before school tryouts which occur late Winter. He barely pitched this year, which is fine by me, so I am not concerned about his arm. Still will have most of October, and all of November and December down.

Around here almost no teams plays together in the Fall (at least at his age). Organizations typically have separate Fall teams that are 1/2 of their main team cobbled together with whoever else wants to play.

Comment

This is our second year in a row not playing any fall ball. Last year I asked my son if he wanted to play fall ball or hunt and fish. His answer was that he wanted to hunt and fish. I haven't even asked him this year what he wants to do. If he were moving up to 60/90, it's probably not a bad idea to play an abbreviated fall schedule.
                    Put your junk in your pocket!

Comment

We decided to do fall ball coming off spring/summer 12u. My son only ended up playing about 35 games after playing on average 45-50 last 2 prior seasons, so I was not concerned with being worn out. He will be moving from 50/70 to 54/80 so this will help some with adjustment. The fall league is only 2 weeks of practices prior to 6 weeks of 2 games per weeekend with 1 final playoff weekend. I'm actually managing the team as they were looking for one more manager. We have a nice mix of experienced travel kids mixed with some talented allstar/rec players.

Comment

Yeah as others mentioned it probably depends somewhat on your spring schedule. A lot of our Florida teams play a 6 month schedule, north of 50 games, so a lot of players have had enough by fall.

Comment

What a player does for the fall depends on his situation. Every player’s situation isn’t the same. My son (former college baseball player) and I had a conversation about this over the weekend. I told him a parent I know with kids playing in a small state was surprised by the routine he went through year round for sports.

When I was a kid I attended one of the largest high schools in the country in a major metro area. What I had to do to compete at the high school level was normal for that level of competition. It was what I knew. I knew nothing of what a kid at a 1,000 enrollment high school had to do to make a team.

My son attended a large school classification high school in a major metro area. He said the same thing. Growing up he was under the impression all the work he put in was what was required by every high school athlete in the country. His travel teammates were all in the same situation. He told me something he never shared during the process. He said he was never content with being among the best players in our area. He wanted to be as good as he could be relative too all high school players in the country.

When my kids got to high school baseball/softball became a year round effort even though they played other sports. Son was also a college soccer prospect. Daughter also played volleyball and basketball. They wanted to be the best in high school. They had decided they wanted to play at the next level. They played fall ball. They worked on physical development from November through February. They hit all year round. They resumed throwing in February.

Neither one played fall ball until high school.

Comment

Really depends. My son has taken the past 2 falls off to play other sports, but isn't pursuing them this year. We're doing a Sunday league with a short season to get some more reps in rather than the traditional 3-4 tournaments. Should be low key and fun. Players from some of the surrounding HS do it, so it's a fun way to mix it up and play with some of your competition.

Comment

We gave all our players the fall off, and we're in "year round baseball" SoCal. We're of the opinion that kids/players need at least a couple months of physical, and mental recovery from the game...IOWs, just a break from competitive baseball for several months out of the year to recharge the batteries.

Admittedly, it cost us some players who (whose parents) decided they needed to play year round just because the neighbor kid was, and they thought they would be missing out or losing ground on the guy next door. Even with that, we choose to stick to our guns, and truly believe that there's less to gain in the extra short season, than is gained by resting mind, and body, getting them ready for the coming season. This is even more important once in HS, as the intensity as well as the amount, and lengths of practices, and the season are far greater than any youth programs (in our area) ever were.

Quick story: One of the players that decided to play fall ball, and pitch like it was just more of the same continuous long season, came back to play for me the following freshman season, and before we even started our couple of preseason scrimmages, was sidelined with shoulder, and elbow problems, and didn't play until half of the regular season was over...he never pitched for us that season, much to the chagrin of his father who pushed him to pitch as much as he could find teams for him during fall ball. He didn't play fall ball the following season (or subsequent ones for that matter either), and ended up the #1 JV pitcher his sophomore season....then pitched, and played MIF on varsity his jr. and senior seasons.
                              In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X