Announcement

Collapse

Updated Baseball Fever Policy

Baseball Fever Policy

I. Purpose of this announcement:

This announcement describes the policies pertaining to the operation of Baseball Fever.

Baseball Fever is a moderated baseball message board which encourages and facilitates research and information exchange among fans of our national pastime. The intent of the Baseball Fever Policy is to ensure that Baseball Fever remains an extremely high quality, extremely low "noise" environment.

Baseball Fever is administrated by three principal administrators:
webmaster - Baseball Fever Owner
The Commissioner - Baseball Fever Administrator
Macker - Baseball Fever Administrator

And a group of forum specific super moderators. The role of the moderator is to keep Baseball Fever smoothly and to screen posts for compliance with our policy. The moderators are ALL volunteer positions, so please be patient and understanding of any delays you might experience in correspondence.

II. Comments about our policy:

Any suggestions on this policy may be made directly to the webmaster.

III. Acknowledgments:

This document was based on a similar policy used by SABR.

IV. Requirements for participation on Baseball Fever:

Participation on Baseball Fever is available to all baseball fans with a valid email address, as verified by the forum's automated system, which then in turn creates a single validated account. Multiple accounts by a single user are prohibited.

By registering, you agree to adhere to the policies outlined in this document and to conduct yourself accordingly. Abuse of the forum, by repeated failure to abide by these policies, will result in your access being blocked to the forum entirely.

V. Baseball Fever Netiquette:

Participants at Baseball Fever are required to adhere to these principles, which are outlined in this section.
a. All posts to Baseball Fever should be written in clear, concise English, with proper grammar and accurate spelling. The use of abbreviations should be kept to a minimum; when abbreviation is necessary, they should be either well-known (such as etc.), or explained on their first use in your post.

b. Conciseness is a key attribute of a good post.

c. Quote only the portion of a post to which you are responding.

d. Standard capitalization and punctuation make a large difference in the readability of a post. TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS is considered to be "shouting"; it is a good practice to limit use of all capitals to words which you wish to emphasize.

e. It is our policy NOT to transmit any defamatory or illegal materials.

f. Personal attacks of any type against Baseball Fever readers will not be tolerated. In these instances the post will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the personal attack via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue personal attacks will be banned from the site.

g. It is important to remember that many contextual clues available in face-to-face discussion, such as tone of voice and facial expression, are lost in the electronic forum. As a poster, try to be alert for phrasing that might be misinterpreted by your audience to be offensive; as a reader, remember to give the benefit of the doubt and not to take umbrage too easily. There are many instances in which a particular choice of words or phrasing can come across as being a personal attack where none was intended.

h. The netiquette described above (a-g) often uses the term "posts", but applies equally to Private Messages.

VI. Baseball Fever User Signature Policy

A signature is a piece of text that some members may care to have inserted at the end of ALL of their posts, a little like the closing of a letter. You can set and / or change your signature by editing your profile in the UserCP. Since it is visible on ALL your posts, the following policy must be adhered to:

Signature Composition
Font size limit: No larger than size 2 (This policy is a size 2)
Style: Bold and italics are permissible
Character limit: No more than 500 total characters
Lines: No more than 4 lines
Colors: Most colors are permissible, but those which are hard to discern against the gray background (yellow, white, pale gray) should be avoided
Images/Graphics: Allowed, but nothing larger than 20k and Content rules must be followed

Signature Content
No advertising is permitted
Nothing political or religious
Nothing obscene, vulgar, defamatory or derogatory
Links to personal blogs/websites are permissible - with the webmaster's written consent
A Link to your Baseball Fever Blog does not require written consent and is recommended
Quotes must be attributed. Non-baseball quotes are permissible as long as they are not religious or political

Please adhere to these rules when you create your signature. Failure to do so will result in a request to comply by a moderator. If you do not comply within a reasonable amount of time, the signature will be removed and / or edited by an Administrator. Baseball Fever reserves the right to edit and / or remove any or all of your signature line at any time without contacting the account holder.

VII. Appropriate and inappropriate topics for Baseball Fever:

Most concisely, the test for whether a post is appropriate for Baseball Fever is: "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?" This post can be direct or indirect: posing a question, asking for assistance, providing raw data or citations, or discussing and constructively critiquing existing posts. In general, a broad interpretation of "baseball related" is used.

Baseball Fever is not a promotional environment. Advertising of products, web sites, etc., whether for profit or not-for-profit, is not permitted. At the webmaster's discretion, brief one-time announcements for products or services of legitimate baseball interest and usefulness may be allowed. If advertising is posted to the site it will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the post via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue advertising will be banned from the site. If the advertising is spam-related, pornography-based, or a "visit-my-site" type post / private message, no warning at all will be provided, and the member will be banned immediately without a warning.

It is considered appropriate to post a URL to a page which specifically and directly answers a question posted on the list (for example, it would be permissible to post a link to a page containing home-road splits, even on a site which has advertising or other commercial content; however, it would not be appropriate to post the URL of the main page of the site). The site reserves the right to limit the frequency of such announcements by any individual or group.

In keeping with our test for a proper topic, posting to Baseball Fever should be treated as if you truly do care. This includes posting information that is, to the best of your knowledge, complete and accurate at the time you post. Any errors or ambiguities you catch later should be acknowledged and corrected in the thread, since Baseball Fever is sometimes considered to be a valuable reference for research information.

VIII. Role of the moderator:

When a post is submitted to Baseball Fever, it is forwarded by the server automatically and seen immediately. The moderator may:
a. Leave the thread exactly like it was submitted. This is the case 95% of the time.

b. Immediately delete the thread as inappropriate for Baseball Fever. Examples include advertising, personal attacks, or spam. This is the case 1% of the time.

c. Move the thread. If a member makes a post about the Marlins in the Yankees forum it will be moved to the appropriate forum. This is the case 3% of the time.

d. Edit the message due to an inappropriate item. This is the case 1% of the time. There have been new users who will make a wonderful post, then add to their signature line (where your name / handle appears) a tagline that is a pure advertisement. This tagline will be removed, a note will be left in the message so he/she is aware of the edit, and personal contact will be made to the poster telling them what has been edited and what actions need to be taken to prevent further edits.

The moderators perform no checks on posts to verify factual or logical accuracy. While he/she may point out gross errors in factual data in replies to the thread, the moderator does not act as an "accuracy" editor. Also moderation is not a vehicle for censorship of individuals and/or opinions, and the moderator's decisions should not be taken personally.

IX. Legal aspects of participation in Baseball Fever:

By submitting a post to Baseball Fever, you grant Baseball Fever permission to distribute your message to the forum. Other rights pertaining to the post remain with the ORIGINAL author, and you may not redistribute or retransmit any posts by any others, in whole or in part, without the express consent of the original author.

The messages appearing on Baseball Fever contain the opinions and views of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of Baseball Fever, or of the Baseball Almanac family of sites.

Sincerely,

Sean Holtz, Webmaster of Baseball Almanac & Baseball Fever
www.baseball-almanac.com | www.baseball-fever.com
"Baseball Almanac: Sharing Baseball. Sharing History."
See more
See less

What's your opinion being a good player on a bad team?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What's your opinion being a good player on a bad team?

    My son is 10, he has always been playing 1-2 years up. This season our private lesson coach is starting a new 10U team, wanted him so he is playing for him. Coach is great, but the kids need a lot of work, half of them should not be in travel. So instead of playing competitive teams/games, we are playing these subpar teams and still get crushed. My son plays shortstop whole time, he is also best pitcher, he made all his plays in the last few games. But the team/games overall looks like a rec AA game. What's your opinion of being best player on a struggling team?

  • #2
    Is he having fun? That's probably the first thing to ask. If so, at 10, he's probably at the right place.

    IMO there is a balance. It's almost never good to be the best player on a team (in a few situations it may be unavoidable), as it can lead to complacency. It's good for kids to be pushed by other players. I'm thankful (I'm sure that he is too) that my son in his younger years had the opportunity to play on a team with some good players. When he came on, he started at the bottom and had to hit/play his way to the top of the lineup. It was good for him, nothing is given, it's earned.

    You want your kid in an environment that he has to earn it, develop competitiveness. Maybe 10 is too early, but soon after that it's something that needs to be developed. Again, the question...is he having fun? I can't imagine getting crushed nearly every game would have been fun for my kid, but every kid is different.
    Ty Cobb-"Every great batter works on the theory that the pitcher is more afraid of him than he is of the pitcher."

    Comment


    • #3
      IMO, it's OK if you're a pitcher but not too great for players at the other positions.

      For a pitcher, the plate is still 17 inches at every level you play at. You'll get lots of opportunities to pitch, and you won't have good defense behind you, so you will have to strike guys out and learn not to pout when your defense makes errors. You are playing against subpar batters, but you have greater pressure to strike them all out, so IMO it kind of evens out. Maybe it's even better.

      For the other positions... as a batter, you will be facing subpar pitching, so that is not good developmentally, unless you really need the confidence boost. And poor defense is contagious, IMO.

      I think the worst part about the "bad team" is playing with kids who just don't care enough to improve their obviously flawed game. That can be disheartening, and there's no internal competition to force your kid to "rise above".

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by chief2791 View Post
        Is he having fun? That's probably the first thing to ask. If so, at 10, he's probably at the right place.

        IMO there is a balance. It's almost never good to be the best player on a team (in a few situations it may be unavoidable), as it can lead to complacency. It's good for kids to be pushed by other players. I'm thankful (I'm sure that he is too) that my son in his younger years had the opportunity to play on a team with some good players. When he came on, he started at the bottom and had to hit/play his way to the top of the lineup. It was good for him, nothing is given, it's earned.

        You want your kid in an environment that he has to earn it, develop competitiveness. Maybe 10 is too early, but soon after that it's something that needs to be developed. Again, the question...is he having fun? I can't imagine getting crushed nearly every game would have been fun for my kid, but every kid is different.
        Thanks, he is having fun when he making good defensive plays. Not fun for losing badly, and not many good pitches to hit off.

        Comment


        • #5
          How well are they coached (teaching fundamentals at a level they can grasp, and working for player development at this age are the most important things, IMO) and how well does your son like playing for his instructor? If the answer is a negative for either, I would probably be looking elsewhere.
          Put your junk in your pocket!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bbrages View Post
            IMO, it's OK if you're a pitcher but not too great for players at the other positions.

            For a pitcher, the plate is still 17 inches at every level you play at. You'll get lots of opportunities to pitch, and you won't have good defense behind you, so you will have to strike guys out and learn not to pout when your defense makes errors. You are playing against subpar batters, but you have greater pressure to strike them all out, so IMO it kind of evens out. Maybe it's even better.

            For the other positions... as a batter, you will be facing subpar pitching, so that is not good developmentally, unless you really need the confidence boost. And poor defense is contagious, IMO.

            I think the worst part about the "bad team" is playing with kids who just don't care enough to improve their obviously flawed game. That can be disheartening, and there's no internal competition to force your kid to "rise above".
            That's my concern too, the teams we are playing, the pitches are subpar, there are few strikes to hit off, and because of that, the umpires are calling an insane big strike zone. For the top teams pitchers are already doing changeups, these teams are struggling to throw strikes.

            Being the best pitcher, my son didn't pitch yet, because we have no one else can play short (make routine plays).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 2022dad View Post
              How well are they coached (teaching fundamentals at a level they can grasp, and working for player development at this age are the most important things, IMO) and how well does your son like playing for his instructor? If the answer is a negative for either, I would probably be looking elsewhere.
              The coaching is great, coach focus a lot on fundamentals. But the execution is not there, I understand it takes time, but for my son he is ready, I don't want to spend 2-3 years to wait for other kids to catch up.

              Coach also has a 13U team, initially we practice with both teams, my son is also one of the best of the 13u infielder. We played one game with them for 13U on big field, he did great at 2B, made all plays, the 13u players liked him and they want him to play with them. I had hoped coach would let him play 13u games too since they are very tight handed, but that's not the case.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by switchhitter View Post
                Being the best pitcher, my son didn't pitch yet, because we have no one else can play short (make routine plays).
                ???
                on a bad team, pitcher (and IMO catcher) is more critical than shortstop...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bbrages View Post

                  ???
                  on a bad team, pitcher (and IMO catcher) is more critical than shortstop...
                  I also don't want the team rely on him to pitch, there is no desense behind him. The coach want to use him more as a closer in important games, which is what I want too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by switchhitter View Post
                    ...my son is also one of the best of the 13u infielder. We played one game with them for 13U on big field, he did great at 2B, made all plays...
                    Sorry, but either your son is an absolute stud, or the 13U team is not very good. There's a huge difference in size, speed, and skill bw a good 13U and a 10U. Also, the social development of 13YO is totally different than a 10YO. One is still a child and the other is on the cusp of being an adult (or at least thinking they are).
                    Put your junk in your pocket!

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      not many good pitches to hit off.
                      This is another downside to being a good player on a bad team. They'll pitch around you. How much fun is that? My son HATED rec regular season, just didn't get much chance to hit, you had rec league Joe Torre's that thought that winning the rec league title was equivalent to the world series. All-stars (which was the reason he played rec) was a bit different story, there were other kids around him that could hit. On most of his TB teams, if you pitched around him there was someone right behind him that would make you pay.

                      Ty Cobb-"Every great batter works on the theory that the pitcher is more afraid of him than he is of the pitcher."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 2022dad View Post

                        Sorry, but either your son is an absolute stud, or the 13U team is not very good. There's a huge difference in size, speed, and skill bw a good 13U and a 10U. Also, the social development of 13YO is totally different than a 10YO. One is still a child and the other is on the cusp of being an adult (or at least thinking they are).
                        The 13u is not very good. But the executions are much better than our 10u team. And supprisingly, the opposing 13u team is just as bad.
                        Last edited by switchhitter; 09-14-2018, 07:47 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          IME, most 10U pitchers are lucky to find the plate 50% of the time, even with the huge strike zones they are given at that age.
                          Put your junk in your pocket!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            at 10, i see the order of priority being:

                            1. a good group of kids and parents
                            2. a well coached and well run team
                            3. a team of comparable skill

                            so, beware of moving for #3 if you have #1 and #2, because that grass might not be greener elsewhere. but, i do think kids are better off playing on teams where the variance is talent isn't too wide. too far off the median in either direction leads to problems.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 2022dad View Post
                              IME, most 10U pitchers are lucky to find the plate 50% of the time, even with the huge strike zones they are given at that age.
                              You are absolutely right.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X