No announcement yet.

Adjusting throwing target distance for back yard slope - Any help appreciated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting throwing target distance for back yard slope - Any help appreciated

Are there any charts, formulas, or rules of thumb for adjusting for backyard ground slope in throwing distance? I am working with my 8 year old son in the yard with youth throwing distances (we are getting qualified instruction). We have 60 feet of relatively flat area and 30-40 more feet of usable area with some slope. So we can set up 46 foot pitching simulation with out adjustment. But the 84 foot throw from home to second or third to first. we need to deal with some slope. (We are about 750-800 feet above sea level so altitude is not a major issue.) Before I guestimate, does anyone have any info sources to share? Thanks

I think as long as the pitching distance is level, there's no big reason to worry about the slope for the other throws. Maybe have him throw both directions.

I think the driveline guys teach control using overweight and underweight balls. Hitting the target while adjusting to an added variable is supposed to proprioception or somesuch... I have heard of a similar strategy for basketball free throws, where you work on hitting the ball in front of and behind the free throw line. "Repetition without repetition"

Comment

Damn! Now I know what we did wrong. We never measured out the backyard. We went to the ball park and practiced.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X