General Question:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Question:

So to me - this website has a ton of great knowledge on it. As a coach - I love trying to get better myself. I like watching new drills to determine if I can use them with little guys and older guys, new ways to interact during a game, seeing how different coaches setup play calls, pitch calls, different signs and so on...

With You-Tube, Twitter, and so many other baseball resources out there - would it be beneficial or is there already (I may have missed it) a folder here that there is nothing but drill videos and so on. I know there are many 'individual posts' about such things but is there one resource location?

For example - what do you do for offensive signs. Through the years, I have done simple signs with no indicators for little guys to using indicators to using touches, to using wristbands. Same with pitch calling - I've done touches, done giving signs myself like a catching, and done wristband with simple numbers that mean a certain pitch/location.

What drills do you like to do to teach younger kids certain things - and so on? Was just wondering if there was a single depository for that stuff and if not - would that be beneficial. For me, I just really enjoying trying to find simple things sometimes like cues on what to say to a kid. Trosky has some fantastic video drills that I have used with older kids and had to dumb some things down for little kids... Anyway - just wondering.

There’s so much available online there isn’t a need for a repository other than the internet. The thing is what some coaches like others won’t. It’s a matter of sifting through the information and picking and choosing.

My only issue with some coaches is teaching tricks to fool young kids that won’t work when players are older and more skilled. Teach to develop. What really pisses me off is when parents in the stands aid/participate in trick plays by yelling as instructed by the coach.

I once screwed up the count and yelled for the hitter to run to first on a dropped strike two (thought it was strike three). The catcher threw the ball into right allowing the runner on third to score. As a trick play some coach might be proud of himself. Even as a accident I felt like the biggest arse in the park. Some parents of the opposing team agreed. Even their coach telling them I’m not that kind of a coach did t change their mind.

Comment

Originally posted by JettSixty View Post
      My only issue with some coaches is teaching tricks to fool young kids that won’t work when players are older and more skilled. Teach to develop. What really pisses me off is when parents in the stands aid/participate in trick plays by yelling as instructed by the coach.

I once screwed up the count and yelled for the hitter to run to first on a dropped strike two (thought it was strike three). The catcher threw the ball into right allowing the runner on third to score. As a trick play some coach might be proud of himself. Even as a accident I felt like the biggest arse in the park. Some parents of the opposing team agreed. Even their coach telling them I’m not that kind of a coach did t change their mind.

Yeah. I didn't know if it was something for here or not... I agree with you on trick plays. I love those younger team coaches that yell GO to their baserunners to steal 3rd and/or fake steal home to try to get into the pitchers head. So bush league.

I just really like watching different drills and such and see if I like the drill, if I think it's beneficial and or are there cues and such I can re-use here and there.

Comment

Dustin Lind list his resource on his twitter page. Has a lot of video and gif clips.

https://twitter.com/dustinlind/statu...99174161072128

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X